Fitting an under floor gas tank

Becky

I changed from standard cylinders to the Gaslow system a year or so ago and was initially quite pleased. But it soon became apparent that two 6.5 refillable cylinders on my Swift Bolero weren't going to give me long between fill-ups if the weather was cold. My van has the Aldi system of heating with radiators which are very efficient. But very gas -hungry.

So, looking around, and talking to people, I found that Autogas up in Thirsk in Yorkshire fit in-chassis tanks to my model of motorhome, and would be willing to fit one for me. But as I live on the S coast near Portsmouth, Thirsk is a long way to go.

So does anyone know of a fitting service for gas tanks on the South coast near where I live?

Becky

The people at Thirsk are long established and have the reputation, so why not incorporate the fitting with a bit of a tour of Yorkshire.  As a Lancastrian even I have to admit that parts of that County are well worth visiting!

But do check the weight implications (for purposes of remaining payload) of installing a big gas tank, especially if you also retain one or both of your gaslow bottles.  You should also make sure that you don't exceed the limit on lpg for using the Channel Tunnel if that's important to you.

I have two 11kg refillable gas bottles and I wish I had chosen only one of those with a smaller re-fillable bottle (like yours) as back up.

Hi Robbo.

Phoned Southdowns who said they can do the job, but not until late August. Also, I have history with that company. I left a deposit on a new M/home a couple of years ago and then changed my mind and had the deposit refunded a few days later. But I also had a call from my bank, when I was told £2500 had been taken from my credit card account. While Southdowns had the number on file. No proof of course, but a nasty coincidence.

I am trying to contact Premier at Chichester, who possibly could also do it for me.

Stuart,

Regarding payload, it is only me and a dachshund in the van, so I suspect I have weight to spare.

Just been round France for 4 weeks mainly using campsites because a lot of LPG stations are on toll roads. Though admittedly there are a lot of them.

But it is for the UK I really want the larger gas capacity as I spend time on THS's and other places with minimal facilities.

Becky - 2016-06-21 12:52 PM ..... Stuart,Regarding payload, it is only me and a dachshund in the van, so I suspect I have weight to spare.

Best not to assume you will be OK, especially if you are planning to add a big lump like an LPG tank.  And your dachshund's two month supply of dog food could easily add a lot of weight if its in tins!  Most builders merchants have weighbridges and many will weigh you for a nominal charge if not for free.

I would also want to know, from whoever is going to do the work, what type of carrier/strapping they are going to use to keep a full LPG tank secure whilst travelling. I have had several underfloor tanks that are fitted to a carrier that is held sideways under the chassis so the tank is hanging from it rather than sitting on it. The strapping was quite this mild steel that is sometimes powder coated - this can be even worse as when the strap starts to corrode you cannot see it for the coating until it is too late.

The last under slung tank I had fitted was refitted by Autogas 2000 at thirsk who make their own thick gauge steel carrier rings that are bolted direct to the chassis and all is then coated with stone chip paint (again this stops the tank itself from getting chipped and rusting). Whilst doing the work they found the original had been fitted with low pressure fittings on the high pressure side and some of the vehicle wiring had been badly routed between the gas lines.

Currently, there are no set guidelines for the installation of such tanks but Chris Wise of Autogas is on the group that is drawing up such guidance. They are a very professional company with a huge experience that will ensure your installation is safe and installed correctly in such a way that will last.

I am not saying you must go there but wherever you choose please check out some of these things as they are extremely important. If you do have any doubts about the way it is being installed perhaps you could consider taking the time to visit Thirsk and the surrounding area as part of getting your tank fitted. Autogas do have overnight facilities too.

Good luck

David

Archived