Moving with the times......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I have with some trepidation....... decided old Horace wasn't keeping up with improvements in modern mohoing 8-) ............

So have bought a new.......

New toilet cassette :D .........and its terrific, its got wheels folding handle B-) .........

Thinking I might put some go faster strips on the side (lol) .......

Tracker - 2016-06-25 7:50 PM

Has all this recently acquired affluence gone to your head Dave, or is a fluency of effluent handling - and hopefully a comfortable throne - just too much to resist?

Long may you enjoy the results of your efforts!

If you want to know anything about crap, Dave is your man. :D

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2016-06-25 8:01 PM

Tracker - 2016-06-25 7:50 PM

Has all this recently acquired affluence gone to your head Dave, or is a fluency of effluent handling - and hopefully a comfortable throne - just too much to resist?

Long may you enjoy the results of your efforts!

If you want to know anything about crap, Dave is your man. :D

Yeah I should've got a job as a spokesman for the remain campaign (lol) ......

Guest pelmetman
RogerThat - 2016-06-25 8:20 PM

Congrats on your new purchase :)

Out of interest, is the capacity reduced in order to accommodate the wheels and handle wotsits?

I suspect so, but I'd guess its pretty minimal, as the old style cassettes seem to have much more capacity than the newer type ;-) ..........Which seem to need emptying daily? :-S ......

It’s perhaps worth adding that Thetford’s latest Fresh Up kit for C200 swivel-bowl toilets also includes a redesigned cassette with wheels and a ‘pull-along’ handle.

http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-and-camping/toilets/cassette-toilets/thetford-caravan-cassette-toilet-tank-c200-fresh-up-kit/

It’s probable that the toilet fitted to Pelmetman’s 1990 Autohomes motorhome is a Thetford C2/C3/C4 bench-style model. The cassette originally provided in a Fresh Up kit for those toilets was ambidextrous and could be adapted for use in either ‘left hand’ or ‘right hand’ C2/C3/C4 toilets.

However this advert

http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-motorhome/toilets/cassette-toilets/thetford-c234-holding-tank-cassette-toilet-fresh-up-kit-c2-c3-c4/

warns that the cassette with wheels and a pull-along handle in the latest C234 Fresh Up kit is apparently not ambidextrous (Which figures...) so it would be necessary to know before ordering a C234 kit which version of the cassette (LH or RH) would be suitable.

I’d anticipate that the introduction of wheels to the C2/C3/C4 and C200 cassettes would result in a reduction in volume of about one litre. This shouldn’t much matter with the C2/C3/C4 cassette as its original volume was 20 litres, but a C200 non-wheeled cassette’s volume is 17 litres so a reduction to (say) 16 litres for the wheeled/handled version is potentially more significant as far as the emptying interval is concerned.

My Rapido’s Thetford C403-L toilet’s cassette has wheels and an extendable handle. The wheels allow the cassette to be inserted/extracted from the cassette locker more easily, but I would never attempt to drag the cassette on its wheels to an emptying point. I’ve glued the extendable handle firmly in its closed position as it always seemed to want to extend itself spontaneously when I was manhandling the cassette when emptying it. A C403-L’s cassette has 19.3 litres volume, but I normally empty mine daily. As I’ve now fitted a (door-mounted) SOG ventilation kit to the toilet and don’t use any chemical additives in the cassette there’s no financial disincentive to daily emptying.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2016-06-26 8:19 AM

It’s probable that the toilet fitted to Pelmetman’s 1990 Autohomes motorhome is a Thetford C2/C3/C4 bench-style model. The cassette originally provided in a Fresh Up kit for those toilets was ambidextrous and could be adapted for use in either ‘left hand’ or ‘right hand’ C2/C3/C4 toilets.

Your correct Derek, its a C2, and yes you need to specify whether its right or left handed, which basically means when sat on the throne, which side is the access door ;-) .......

At 120 quid, its not cheap keeping up with the Joneses 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2016-06-26 11:48 AM

Your correct Derek, its a C2, and yes you need to specify whether its right or left handed, which basically means when sat on the throne, which side is the access door ;-) .......

I'm surprised you can keep up with anything in your van.

Have you done away with the man and his little Red flag? :D

A Thetford Fresh Up kit for a C2 toilet can be obtained for around £95 (ref 3rd link in my posting above). The kit includes the latest wheeled/handled cassette, a new toilet seat and lid, a litre of cassette cleaner and 500mm of bathroom cleaner.

It’s not uncommon for Thetford spare cassettes on their own to be advertised at a price that is no cheaper (or is even dearer) than the appropriate Fresh Up kit, but it should be possible to obtain an old-style ‘ambidextrous’ cassette for a C2 toilet for about £85.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2016-06-26 4:44 PM

A Thetford Fresh Up kit for a C2 toilet can be obtained for around £95 (ref 3rd link in my posting above). The kit includes the latest wheeled/handled cassette, a new toilet seat and lid, a litre of cassette cleaner and 500mm of bathroom cleaner.

It’s not uncommon for Thetford spare cassettes on their own to be advertised at a price that is no cheaper (or is even dearer) than the appropriate Fresh Up kit, but it should be possible to obtain an old-style ‘ambidextrous’ cassette for a C2 toilet for about £85.

Now you tell me *-) .........I wonder if I can return it?.........Its only slightly used :D ......

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2016-06-26 12:31 PM

I'm surprised you can keep up with anything in your van.

Have you done away with the man and his little Red flag? :D

He been replaced by a bloke with a Vote leave flag :D .

Taking me cassette for a walk to the dump point with handle extended reminds me of my walk from the plane to car park at the airport with my overnight bag and laptop when I was a corporate road warrior. Ah the memories - the contents were really not that different! Cheers,

lesleykaren - 2016-06-30 5:54 PM

staying with the "cludgie" theme (old navy humour, i think)! has anyone come across the new "THETFORD MACHINE"? it looks very trendy, and i was wondering whether they were starting to make an appearance in the UK?

if anyone hasnt seen what it can do yet - check it out here : http://www.thetford-europe.com/thetford-machine/how-to-use/

Thetford’s “Cleaning Machine” was previously discussed here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Toilet-Casette-emptying-Machine/41915/

but it’s useful seeing the Thetford user-instructions that you’ve provided a link to.

Still on toilets, Thetford recently released details of a successor to the C200 swivel-bowl range.

http://www.thetford-europe.com/c220-the-new-cassette-toilet-of-thetford-everything-you-may-expect-from-a-thetford-toilet/

http://www.aboutcampbtob.eu/revealing-c220-the-new-cassette-toilet-of-thetford/

Derek Uzzell - 2016-06-26 4:44 PM

£95 quid is a damn expensive set of wheels.

Mine cost just £14 quid (yep they've gone up in price now but i bought mine pre-Brexit).....and not only 'ambidextrous' but multi purpose too! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/70KG-ALUMINIUM-INDUSTRIAL-FOLDING-HAND-CART-WHEEL-TROLLEY-SACK-TRUCK-HEAVY-DUTY-/302002070625?hash=item4650b9e461:g:P00AAOSwFqJWsMNj

As for the bottle of bog cleaner.....wowzer! Talk about taking the P!

If it’s felt necessary to ‘wheel’ a toilet cassette from a caravan/motorhome to an emptying point then a cheap sturdy sack-truck is an obvious solution and - it has to be said - is likely to be far more efficient than trying to drag a cassette along on its wheels via a handle that (on the latest design of C2/C3/C4, C200 and C220 cassettes) seems to be fashioned from thin wire. But the wheels and handles of the cassette in a Fresh Up kit come free of charge and there’s no need to find storage in the leisure-vehicle for a sack-truck however neatly the latter folds up.

I’m unconvinced that dragging a wheeled cassette along at the average aire/campsite will regularly be a practical proposition. My experience of my C403L’s cassette is that its wheels make it less stable when stood vertically and I’ve found the extendable handle sufficiently a nuisance to glue it in its retracted position. I could easily do without the wheels and the handle, but I can appreciate that adding them to all its cassettes will be seen by Thetford as a good marketing move.

My comment about the around-£95 cost of a Fresh Up kit had little to do with Thetford's wheeled cassette design. It was merely that pelmetman had said he had paid “120 quid” for a new cassette and that seemed over the odds.

A sack-truck will have no direct appeal to anyone who wants a Thetford cassette for ‘back up’ purposes, or to replace a damaged cassette or an elderly cassette that’s past its best. As I said earlier it may be possible to buy a new cassette for around £85, but the Fresh Up kit adds a new toilet seat and lid that cost around £15 separately.

It’s hardly surprising that Thetford provides Thetford cleaning products in Fresh Up kits, but as buying a kit is likely to be a good deal cheaper than buying a cassette on its own from a caravan/motorhome dealer, I can’t see why the ‘free’ inclusion of the cleaning products in the kit should be an issue. Even if the toilet chemicals aren’t used, the bathroom cleaner should be useful.

Based on the photos the Thetford wheelie cassette doesn't look very substantial to me. The wheels are much too small and too close together making it useless for anything other than hard surfaces. I doubt it would withstand much use before one of the wheels gave way. The price difference between a non-wheeled and wheeled version is just seven quid so i suppose if your cassette is completely knackered, then people will pay the extra seven quid for wheels.

The sack-truck i bought off ebay primarily for mauling the toilet cassette which as we all know, when full, can weigh a fair bit and that's not fun when the disposal point is a 10 min walk from the van! Before buying i scoured local stores but surprised not to find any of the type i wanted at all. They are very popular on ebay and it's easy to find identical to mine selling at a higher price.

Panel van space is always at a premium so size was an important factor. Those with CB's etc with large 'garages' don't even need think about it. I measured up everything so knew exactly where it would fit which it does.....in the gap between the back door and kitchen end, so it's not even using up any floor or cupboard space.

It's well constructed and the 'foldability' is pure genius. The wheels are 5" diam, thick, and well mounted.....good for all surfaces.

Archived