MoT outside UK???

Bill

I have jusat returned from a (non-motorhome) holiday on the Algarve, and spotted the following advertisement in one of the free English-language newspapers: MoT Certificate available for UK registered vehicles. Call 0044 7989 209 096 Having been told categorically by the DVLA that it is not possible to have an MoT done outside the UK I am very wary. If anyone is brave enough to try this, I (and I am sure many others) would be interested to hear the outcome.

Unless its a scam, can only imagine it may be o.k. for the Portuguese authorities if your own expires while still down there. It will still not allow you to apply for a new road fund licence over the internet, if that needs renewing as well. chas

[QUOTE]Dave Newell - 2006-11-26 4:54 PM Perhaps garages in Gibraltar can do UK MOTs D.[/QUOTE] According to the DVLA they can't - and, though this is a bit off-thread, I can't help thinking that we should take advantage of a Cabnet Minister (Margaret Beckett) being a keen caravanner to put some pressure on to have this changed. Thanks to all who have replied - you all seem as wary as I am.

Given that the MOT test is to satisfy the authorities that at the time of testing the vehicle complied with the minimum standard, it seems to us that if ever there was a reason for Euopean harmonisation, it would on vehicle safety. Vehicles are tested across EU countries, so in theory a "safe" vehicle in one country should be equally safe in another. Do the authorities in France, Germany etc insist you have their local MOT when you arrive on their shores? No, so in other words our test certificate is good enough for them. Similarly when continentals arrive in our fair land, their test certs are deemed valid. So what is the problem in having a pan Euopean MOT,with the ability to have your vehicle tested anywhere in the EU? We would venture to suggest that it would reduce revenues to DVLA and that is just not allowed. Also because it makes so much sense beaurocrats would not understand it. Vixter+VoH

Dave The telephone number in question is not in Gibraltar it is a UK one. I think we should none of us take this at face value, it has got to be a con don't fall for it. UK MOTs are all done directon line to VOSA you do not get a cerificate per se but an entry in a computer based database. Docted

It's actually a UK mobile number. They are working towards a pan-European MoT but it will take a few years yet. And, of course, when it does happen we'll all complain like mad because it's almost certain to add both complexity and cost to our MoT. I've never known the EU yet go for a 'Lowest Common Denominator' - it's always the 'Highest Common Factor' - i.e., the total sum of what every individual country does.

The MOT is now computer data based for the vehicle recognition camera`s installed on the motorways and police force mobile squads, how would they know you had an MOT if done abroad?. I believe the next stage will be to send a fine through the post if they capture your vehicle without one. Same way as they have gone with the excise duty. I agree with the Insurance evaders thats not on and they should seize the vehicle straight away. Its a scam and keep away from foreign testers they are not worth the paper they are written on. Unless you are residing in that country and thats another ball game. Pete

[QUOTE]spartan3956 - 2006-11-27 4:51 PM how would they know you had an MOT if done abroad?. Pete[/QUOTE] The same way as they know in the UK: the computer at the testing station would advise the DVLA's computer. Anyway, successive British governments, Labour and Tory alike, have insisted that Gibralter is part of Britain - so why can't we have an MoT done there, just like in any other part of Britain? My view is that the MoT, like so many other things, started out as a good idea but is now just a money-making racket and an excuse for the power-freaks to lord it over ordinary folk.

Don't know how the pan-European version might work, though. 

So far as I know, all European states have broadly similar requirements for periodic vehicle testing.  It is intended to ensure that a vehicle meets at least a minimum safety standard once per year.  Only if it does, can it be taxed and insured. 

The state is interested in the taxation revenue, but surely we are more interested in the insurance issue? 

It seems there are many uninsured vehicles circulating in UK, many of which seem to have a higher than average incidence of accidents.  Compensation in these cases is paid by (I think) the Motor Insurers Bureau.  In effect, that means you and me! 

If the VOSA database makes it more difficult for the uninsured to drive, that seem to me a good thing, and if the number of uninsured vehicles involved in accidents is reduced, the cost to the MIB will fall, and hence the premium oncost to you and me.  Part of the way that is being implemented is that you can't now tax your vehicle unless the VOSA database says your vehicle is both tested (where required) and insured.  Even if you pay at the Post Office, the database is checked.  I don't know if the insurers also check the VOSA record for a current Test Cert before renewing your insurance, but I bet it's only a matter of time!

VOSA is thus building a database that will enable them to notify Mr Plod of the names and addresses of all registered keepers whose vehicles are not subject to SORN, and have not been taxed or insured during the previous 12 months.  Whether/how the said Mr Plod responds has yet to be demonstrated.  However, if it results in a few less road tax and insurance cheats it must surely be good. 

Power freaks lording it: well maybe, but there is an upside as well, from which we should all benefit in due course - unless of course you prefer your driving untested, untaxed and uninsured!

However, given the total number of cars circulating, plus the harmonisation of legalities and practices, and the languages involved, is it really likely you'll be able to just drive up to some Euro Test station, and get a test recorded back to VOSA, so that you can tax and insure your UK registered car?  One day maybe, but I'd bet it will take years before all the glitches are ironed out.  Bulgaria, anyone?

Well I guess most have heard news today that Gordon is sugesting increasing MOT duration to 2 years 'to help reduce red tape', nothing to do with EU saying our regs are over burdoning or the central computer struggling to cope then. As some one who is used to yearly test it slightly concerns me that there may be more unsafe cars on road, but I guess if we had bi-anual and it was suggested we went to yearly we would all be up in arms

• 1 month later...
Hi, Yep, every two years. Unless your vehicle is over 25 years old, in which case its tested when you aquire it...The End.....I think, but there are restrictions on where you can use it. Test is something over 40 euros, so cheaper than the UK. No road tax. 602

Archived