Looking for a Campervan!

happy campers

Hi, we're overseas at the moment but will be returning to the UK on 20th July and are looking to purchase a camper van very soon after that date. We're looking for something no more than 12 years old, 2/4 berth with either a drop down or fixed bed. Also need a sitting area which is big enough to stretch out on and a reasonably sized store / garage. Hoping to get something that's ready to drive away and head for the sun! We'll be in and around the M4 corridor and SE England - hoping to get something up to GBP 20,000 (cash) with up to date MOT, reasonable mileage and full service history. Minimum engine size 2.3.

Ideally we would like a separate shower and swivel driver/passenger seats, cruise control etc etc but not essential.

Please let us know if you think you might have the van we're looking for! (lol)

Welcome to the forum.

I wish you all the very best in your search for a suitable Motorhome in your short timeframe.

Unfortunately, the market for used vans at this time of year tends to be a bit limited. As expected, potential sellers are making the most of their vans during the summer period before selling them later in the year.

I would suggest that you scour the classified Motorhome sales on this website if you want a quick purchase.

You could of course try hiring a van in the short term and spend the winter months looking for a suitable vehicle for the 2017 season.

You might need to be more specific as to what you are looking for.

You have stated a camper van.....that generally means a PVC (panel van conversion).There are very very few with a drop down bed - especially of that era.

A fixed bed in a PVC of that era, generally means one that has the potential to fold or partially fold up to give some storage space in the middle or under - not in the sense of a garage. This layout usually has a toilet/shower in the centre with a kitchen opposite, which results in a rather cramped seating area Not suitable to layout on even with fron seats turned. You can lounge on the bed in the down position.

Vans of that era were generally about 5.5m long for LWB and there was not the variety of layout options that are available currently based on LWB of 5.9m or extra long 6.3m.

A motorhome (coach built), which generally has a wider body can offer you most of your preferences, but not usually a drop down bed in that era and price range, and there is a mind boggling number of choices.

You can perhaps get an older A Class which generally has a drop down bed and all your options, but most choice will come at a longer length, perhaps over 6.5m.

A PVC camper van with an elevating roof and drop down bed is usually on a VW and does not offer lounging space, storage or usually decent toilet/shower.

The Hymer Exsis of that era does all that you ask, but didn't catch on and is very rare with a waiting list.

Best wishes and hopefully someone will offer some more specific information than my generalised terminology.

I cannot think of anything with all the requirements you ask for.

Generally a 'Camper Van' is a limited sized vehicle and an 'upgrade' from a tent !

The definition is 'A Van for Camping' however ... having said that many people do live in them and would never change.

2/4 berth you ask, are the plus 2 small children (of around 6 years) ? they would love it of course and would have a great time but that's all I can suggest.

Most of the things on your wish list were on ours when we bought our van earlier this year. I regret to report that I couldn't find anything at all that had everything on that list in that price bracket either from dealers or private sellers but you may be luckier than me. It's our first van and I have no expertise at all on particular models. The members of this forum were really kind and offered lots of advice. We bought our van from Southern Motorhome Centre (SMC) which are in Taplow near Maidenhead so just a little bit off the M4. We had to make serious compromises and ended up spending a little more than we had hoped to spend. The only van I have found that they have at the moment that comes near to what you are looking for is a 2003 Burstner at around the 23K mark but it doesn't have a lot of the things on your wish list. I was glad I chose a dealer in the end rather than a private purchase because we knew very little about checking what might be wrong with the van and needed a warranty to make up for that deficit. If lying about in the van during the day is important to you I suggest you don't go for a fixed french bed as when I was looking most within our budget had just a central dinette. I also suggest you look at the comments of fixed beds on this forum before making this a must have on your list. :-)

Have you tried Autotrader? They list a large number of motorhomes available in the UK from all prices upwards. However, as mentioned it is not really the best time to buy, better in Autumn when dealers are looking to get rid of stock, and private owners will negotiate to get rid of the vehicle before winter.

Just be careful what you look at, and maybe buy. At that price range, althoug it seems high, does include what one could realistically call 'rubbish' and one does wonder how they get the price asked, but they do. Make sure there is no damp as that can be an expensive 'killer'.

Good luck. Ny the way, why come back to the UK? Maybe better to stay where you are especially at the moment.

Have a look for a Hymer B584 or 544 and see what you think of those. There is another, the model designation of which I can't remember, that had a superb shower room/toilet that went right across the rear of the van, with the kitchen block forward of that, and a large sofa or possibly a pair of sofas extending between the kitchen and the swivelling front seats. Someone's bound to know. We looked at one sometime around 2004, but it was outside our price range. Only two berth I think, with the drop down forward bed, but we thought a very attractive and comfortable looking interior. It was also quite compact - somewhere around 6 metres long, I think. I'm not advocating Hymer in particular, just that these seem reasonably close to what you seem to be looking for - though none have the rear garage. Compromises, compromises! :-D

Brian, I just happen to have a Hymer 2004 brochure and can confirm that your memory hasn't failed you.

The only Hymer with the rear bathroom (which also included the wardrobe) was the B-Class 564, 6.07m long and 3500Kg chassis. It was available in two variants, a dinette or L shaped seating arrangement.

Agree that the OP would be well advised to consider the Hymer brand up to 2006, before the change in styling during 2006. The up to 2006 Hymers were proper campervans in my opinion and you still see many around Europe in excellent condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. Agreed, we're not actually looking for a PVC but a coach built - just not familiar with all the jargon just yet.

Will have a look out for a Hymer Exsis - we do like the Hymer style vans from what we've seen so far - hopefully we'll be lucky and be able to pick one up before the Autumn.

Will keep you posted on what we find!

Happy camping!

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback. Looking around we do think an A class motorhome is what we're looking for. We are actually just 2 adults, no children but we would like the extra bit of space for storage and maybe visitors when people are passing through.

All the best,

Joanne

Hi there

Many thanks for your reply and advice. We will definitely visit SMC when we are in the UK and will look at comments on the fixed bed! As it happens we are not sure whether we do actually want a fixed bed at the sacrifice of living space.

How are you enjoying your Rapido?

Thanks for the information and advice. We'll be very careful what we buy and we have already invested in a dampometer which will be used shamelessly!

Re coming back to the UK - we'll give it a go and see how it treats us! Just hoping we'll be able to travel around Europe without too much hassle.

all the best,

happy campers - 2016-07-09 6:02 AM

Hi there

Many thanks for your reply and advice. We will definitely visit SMC when we are in the UK and will look at comments on the fixed bed! As it happens we are not sure whether we do actually want a fixed bed at the sacrifice of living space.

How are you enjoying your Rapido?

Right at the beginning it was suggested that you might want to hire a van, whilst this might seem expensive, one good reason for doing this is to make sure you are happy with the layout, you may choose a van which straight away suits you, or like many swap from van to van before you stumble upon one you like, which is very expensive.

I'm not sure how others use there vans, but for us the fixed bed is part of the living space, and also it allows for us to be at opposite ends of van, with say one watching tv whilst the other can read a book in peace, now here's one we nearly got wrong, when we where between vans and very busy we hired a van with a transverse fixed bed, hardly any different from our present van you might think, but it was a complete nightmare with gf's claustrophobia being triggered whilst in bed, a whole week spent with very little sleep.

Hiring is a good way to try out layouts. However, just be aware that most hire vans are new, or nearly new and you are looking at buying something that is possibly 12 years old. So there will be a difference in both fittings and dare I say, condition of everything from fabrics down. That is not to say you cannot find a good van out there, it is just that for every good van there areprobably a dozen you do not want to touch.

In some respects conditon at that age is more important than the layout as long as it ticks most of your boxes. Buying privately will be cheaper but you need to take care that what you are buying is what is stated. Once you have handed over the cash it is difficult to get redress. A dealer will be more expensive but is more likely to be a bona fide purchase. They may alos be willing to repair/modify any bits you are not entirely happy with.

You state you are looking at coachbuilts so damp checks are vital and also check the payload as some vans were decidely light on what you could carry. They gave you lockers that frankly you could not fill in order to stay legal. Poor design and it was often the case that UK makers were the guilty ones for this sin. A EU van may have less 'toys' but have better payload.

The choice is yours, just do not jump at the first one you see.

Hi Happy campers. I think I see a post from you saying that you are going to visit SMC asking how I find the Rapido. Sorry for the delay I've been away at Cornbury Festival and not online (good to have a break from it TBH).

The Rapido we bought is absolutely fine. We had a niggle with the timing belt which was sorted under warranty very efficiently which is why I would go the safe route through a dealer if you'r e not savvy about vans.

As for a fixed French bed I wouldn't go for that layout if you are going to be in the van for very long periods. When we trade up it will be definitely single beds for us. French beds are very small. My OH is 6ft 1" and though I am a short stop I am not skinny! Cosy is how i would describe our sleeping situation. If you go down the lounge that you have to make up each night route I suggest you also look at threads on here about memory foam toppers. Even though we had a fairly decent mattress on our French bed we decided to get one and it as made a world of difference to our comfort. Set up some alerts for the Hymers the clever people on her are recommending. I also notice that Bundesvan have a a Hymer E690 1997 for £17000 they are selling for a client. It doesn't have a garage mind. Seem like with £3000 to spare you could cover all eventualities. Not sure about Hymers of this era or this model. Others may be abe to help you as to whether it is a good buy. The upholstery is a bit yucky in my personal view but with a dog you don't want anything too smart or that you care too much about.

http://www.bundesvan.co.uk/showroom.php#thumb

Regards Veronica

Archived