Engine Warning Light - When is a flicker significant?

StuartO

My 2006 2.8 JTD Fiat-based MH has been running well but while driving during a tour, engine warmed up, doing about 50 mph, there was a brief loss of power and the engine warning light flickered on briefly.  Less than half a second, just a very brief loss of power then normal service was resumed for the rest of the tour.  My friend has an OBD2 device and we plugged it in - no faults recorded.

Any explanations, comments or suggestions - do I just ignore this?

Virtually the same problem with my Fiat 2.8jtd engine. Found out it was the exhaust gas recirculating valve(????) sticking and a simple fix. It happened again a few months ago and what I found was that it occurred when I was revving the engine for a prolonged time, climbing a long gradient. If I maintained an eye on the engine management light and as soon as it blinked, lifted my foot off slightly, it would not go into limp mode, which is what you are experiencing. At next stop I got under vehicle and manipulated the valve linkage to ensure it was free and that appears to have resolved the matter.

The valve is accessed from underneath and is at rear of engine not easily got at.

May not be your problem but hope it helps.

Hi we had a similar flicker that then stayed on, accompanied by limp home and then total loss of power. All in the space of about 10-15 minutes and just 2 days after a full service at Citroen. (Grrrr)

Long story short, traced to poor connector block from loom to EGR position sensor. Pushed it home for a weak 'click' (the connector not the camper!) and have had no problems since (8 days ago).

Since you're getting a flicker, my guess is it's likely to be poor connection issue rather than mechanical, and the EGR is always a good place to start.

First, i should say that there is no EGR on a 2.8JTD.

Second; the most likely fault is a poor connection at an injector. A momentary fault may not log in the ECU but if (and when) it returns and stays on, it should identify which injector is at fault when plugged in to a decent diagnostic machine.

Once it shows itself properly, it is not a difficult fix since new plugs can be bought from Ebay now for just a few pounds.

Archived