is the french fuel strike over?

boxerbob62

Thanks for that info.Derek,lets hope it stays that way !I did read that French truckers did try blockading the ports but were moved on by police. Long range forecast down Eastern France looks favourable as well --so fingers crossed !. Thanks again. (lol)

As with any French strile, it is over until the next one starts, which can be at a moment's notice. All I suggest is keep topped up. I suspect blockades are likely to be the option this time as Hollande used the country's reserves to keep fuel going last time, so the Unions will think of something better next time.

As long as the French team remain in the football there is every chance things will remain stable, but the minute they get booted out, all bts are off. The grievances are still there and Hollande is trying to fudge it as usual. Bit like our lot I guess.

Hi

We cross back to Dover on the 3rd, and apart from people panic buying 4 weeks ago, there has never been a problem.

So don't worry, as Derek said just keep topped up, but be aware, as a lot of stations are card only and if like us you don't take your credit card, could take a while to find a station that has cheap diesel, can get the Van under its barrier and has a cashier on. :-)

We came back across France between 17 and 23 June, and bought fuel at Leclerc Valence, Auchan La Charité-sur-Loire and Leclerc Neufchatel-en-Bray. Before that we were in Corsica (which is French) from 31 May and encountered no fuel shortages at supermarkets. We usually buy fuel at supermarkets, as it is cheaper, and we are usually food shopping at the same time. Most (though not all) of the Auchan, Carrefour, Leclerc, or Intermerché supers will have fuel pumps, though the approaches to the cash cubicle can be a bit tight, and in a few cases the canopies low. Many are 24 hour automated card only pumps, but these seemed generally to accept UK chip and pin cards OK.

Most of these were away from the major routes, and my impression was that they had not been affected by shortages. I usually re-fill when the tank is about 50%, so only take on 40 - 50 litres at a time. I would suggest avoiding autoroute service stations as they seem more likely to be targeted, and are also significantly more expensive. I would also suggest not buying near/in the major cities.

The strikers are looking for publicity from the impact of their strikes rather than to simply annoy the French population at large. They will therefore tend to go for those service stations where a shortage will create the largest impact. Blockading some rural town with one smallish supermarket and a population of 7,000 or so is hardly going to make much impact on the evening news, but bringing Paris, Lyon or Marseilles to a virtual standstill will. Enjoy your trip.

currently in the south of France, near Beziers, and no signs of any lack of fuel, though when we start the return trip next Tuesday, I will keep topped up as you never know.

We understand from French on site, that it is over for now, and in any case, coming up to the French holiday high season its unlikely they would strike...

Likewise, we got home last night after 5 weeks away in France and not encountered any fuel supply problems during the whole of our holiday - perhaps the rotten weather dampened their enthusiasm for blockading the refineries !

Alan

Archived