TAG for French Toll Roads

Len Salisbury

We are planning to go to Spain again this month using the Peage to travel from Calais to Perpignan and having encountered traffic jams on a couple of sections previously we are thinking of using this system. I have used my debit card to pay toll fees previously but incur a charge over and above the toll fee.

I gather that the fee for the toll is taken by Direct Debit 2 weeks later would this be an accumulative amount i.e. one transaction?

Our vehicle is a Boxer of less than 3.5 Kgs and less than 3 metres high so is classed as group 2. I have worked it out that the trip one way will cost 134 euros single to the Spanish border. Anyone else used this system?

hi Len,

I used the SANEF system for the first time last year but only in France. I found it brilliant just to drive up to the barrier and it open automatically, no fuss or getting around to the other side to pay just drive thru'

I know there is a small charge for this service [ never really check ] but I know I will continue with it.

cheers

derek

p.s.

on one occasion I mistakenly went thru a manned pay lane and all I had to do was give the TAG to the operator who scanned it.

d.

Len Salisbury - 2016-07-01 8:18 AM

We are planning to go to Spain again this month using the Peage to travel from Calais to Perpignan and having encountered traffic jams on a couple of sections previously we are thinking of using this system. I have used my debit card to pay toll fees previously but incur a charge over and above the toll fee.

I gather that the fee for the toll is taken by Direct Debit 2 weeks later would this be an accumulative amount i.e. one transaction?

Our vehicle is a Boxer of less than 3.5 Kgs and less than 3 metres high so is classed as group 2. I have worked it out that the trip one way will cost 134 euros single to the Spanish border. Anyone else used this system?

You could certainly use the TAG and maybe save a little, however for general use you should really consider a credit card, such as a Halifax Clarity.

I also recommend the SANEF system. Travelling alone as I do in a rh drive vehicle it is far easier. No unbelting, winding down window,finding payment, rebelting and moving off. There is a small charge for each month you use the system plus toll fee. Worth the additional expense.

Not sure if it will be relevant, but the July 2016 Caravan Club Magazine has a ‘special offer’ on Page 62 for CC members to apply for a Sanef LIBER-T tag free of charge.

LIBER-T usage, terms and condition etc. can be found here

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/what-is-liber-t

Slightly off topic, but the FFCC (LA FÉDÉRATION DES CAMPEURS, CARAVANIERS ET CAMPING-CARISTES) are currently running a petition seeking to have up-to-3500kg camping-cars below 3 metres in height attract the Category 1 (the basic ‘car’ category) autoroute toll charge rather than the Category 2 charge.

http://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/peages-autoroutiers-classe-2-vehicules-loisirs/19756

I had a free tag via Eurotunnel a few years ago. You still get a small admin charge added to your bill for the months you use the tag. So to keep the admin cost to a minimum use it over one calendar month.

I have a sanef toll pass for the car ( it is not tied to the vehicle so you can switch it between cars/ campervan) https://www.saneftolling.co.uk

you pay an initial setup charge of around €15 and a returnable deposit on the screen chip.

you pay €5 service charge per month you use it, up to a max of 2 month €10 per year plus Road tolls. you pay by DD each month

costs here https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/faq/support-Faq.List/#1.0.

no discount for use but wins on convenience

I have just been informed that if you have European Breakdown it will not cover you to be rescued as there are companies that are provided who get you off the Mororway so that you can be seen to by your breakdown company, There is a charge for this service.

Len Salisbury - 2016-07-01 11:02 PMI have just been informed that if you have European Breakdown it will not cover you to be rescued as there are companies that are provided who get you off the Mororway so that you can be seen to by your breakdown company, There is a charge for this service.

I think that must be a reflection of the way your insurer handles things.  I'm pretty sure mine doesn't exclude motorway cover and a few years ago I used it from a motorway service area.  I had misfuelled and they were perfectly happy to recover me to a garage. 

Breakdown cover abroad appears to be the sort of thing you have to buy from a reputable company having checked the scope of cover rather than purely on price.

Vehicle recovery/repair following a breakdown on a French autoroute is handled as described here:

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/breakdown-service.htm

The French “approved breakdown service operator” will need to be paid the specified fee and (assuming you have appropriate breakdown-insurance) that fee should be reclaimable later from your breakdown-insurance provider.

I suppport using the Toll Tag unless you are only making a single trip. The fees are small compared to the advantages already mentioned by others. You are billed the month following the month of use and the charge is taken from your account at the end of that following month. The invoice is made available through the website so you see every individual charge you have incurred. As mentioned try not to go over a new month in each trip as it triggers another small fee.

We have both a campervan and a caravan and it is great beng able to swop between the vehicles. The first time we did we were a bit nervous that it would work but our fears were groundless and we are getting adept at going through the 30km lane at faster speeds than the crawl we used initially.. Cqn be through in seconds now.

However do note a small change in that Sanef are transferring the Scheme to another Company. Makes no difference to users just a different name.

We are writing to tell you that following an internal re-organisation of the Sanef Group, the business activities previously carried out by Sanef Tolling Limited have been transferred to EMOVIS TAG UK LTD. EMOVIS TAG UK LTD is part of the Sanef Group. It is a company registered in England and Wales (Registered Number: 09924217),with a registered Office at St. John's Offices, Albion Street, LEEDS, LS2 8LQ, UK.

We hereby give notice that, as a result of the transfer, EMOVIS TAG UK LTD has assumed responsibility for Application Vetting and all of Sanef Tolling Limited's obligations under the Terms and Conditions which apply to your subscription to use the Liber-t System and Sanef Tolling Limited's rights, title, interest and benefit in those Terms and Conditions have been assigned to EMOVIS TAG UK LTD. After the transfer EMOVIS TAG UK LTD will, on behalf of sanef, process and hold any personal data in connection with the credit worthiness checks carried out as part of your application for your subscription.

You are not required to do anything as a result of receiving this email, the ownership of EMOVIS TAG UK LTD Limited is the same as Sanef Tolling Limited and the staff in Harrogate look forward to being your service provider for many years to come.

We also take this opportunity to bring to your attention the updated Subscription Agreement with Sanef SA for use of the Liber-t System and the EMOVIS Privacy Policy and Web User Agreement which can be found at the links set out below.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/legal

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/terms-and-conditions

If you have any questions regarding this change please contact us.

I moved the tag to my car for a recent trip, but stuck the holder too close to the mirror so I couldn't slide the tag off again. Sanef replied that you heat it up with a hair dryer to remove it.

Just a tip. (So should be in hints and tips really)

• 2 weeks later...
We found that putting the tag in the recommended position near the mirror did not work on our coachbuilt with a fairly small overhang above the windscreen, so after a bit of experimentation on a few booths we found it worked best about 4 inches up from the bottom of the screen just left of center.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-07-01 9:07 AM

Slightly off topic, but the FFCC (LA FÉDÉRATION DES CAMPEURS, CARAVANIERS ET CAMPING-CARISTES) are currently running a petition seeking to have up-to-3500kg camping-cars below 3 metres in height attract the Category 1 (the basic ‘car’ category) autoroute toll charge rather than the Category 2 charge.

http://www.mesopinions.com/petition/autres/peages-autoroutiers-classe-2-vehicules-loisirs/19756

Interesting...its a few years ago now, but all MHs were charged at Group 3 rates....until the French really went into Motorhomes in a big way, and they got it reduced to Group 2. Not really sure how they decide what group you should be, but in reality we are probably less 'hard' on road usage than a car and caravan which is the Group 2 currently, so will be interesting to see if the French will reduce MHs to group 1...

We were traveling up the A75 and entered a telepeage lane3 weeks ago and and as we went through the toll station the gendarmes were pulling over larger motor homes, and they had about 20 parked over to one side all with there bonnets up I can't for certain say what they were doing but the Pilote A class in front got called over as a smaller 6 metre coach built we got waved through.

Either a campaign or purge of some sort going on, or maybe just the Gendarmerie needing something to do.  You get the impression that large scale spot checks are the way the Gendarmerie conduct themselves, to show their face as it were.

Thanks Steve.

Not sure why I don't give myself a slap and remind myself that

i) I can't afford the tolls

ii) I'm not usually stuck for time

iii) I prefer to drive off motorway and see the countryside

iv) I get better mpg keeping my speed down.

It's mainly Spain or Italy where we use tolls and when the other half gets stressed by the automats so it has a way of getting me stressed too.

In France we usually shout "Camping Car, Camping Car" at the microphone anyway in the hope, which often is successful, that they only charge us for Class 2. The all seeing eye in the sky is unlikely to be as sympathetic.

Anyway it may be academic. If we can't bring "duty paid" booze back in a couple of years time we might as well downsize anyway !!

Cheers

Martin

Archived