TAG for French Toll Roads

Len Salisbury

MartinP - 2016-07-18 7:55 AM

When I look on the Liber-t website it says that larger motorhomes (ie over 3m high, >3.5 tonnes, twin axle etc) are not eligible for the scheme. Does anyone have any evidence/ experience that contradicts this?

That's correct, Tag only for vehicle's up to 3.5 ton and less than 3m high.

I am over 3.5 ton but less than 3m high, so I do not qualify for a Tag. Having said that, I still get charged as Class 2 - I should really be charged as Class 3. Perhaps I will get charged as Class 3 in the future when they install weighing devices at the toll booths.

Hi . We recently returned fro a 6 week session in France, and like some others, we dont use toll roads, preferring to use country roads and main roads where possible. We also use France Passion sites and free aires where possible, so have been able to avoid spending too much on Euros.

advantage is that My knowledge and use of the French Language has been improved considerably, and we travelled back via parts of the Creuse valley. One interesting stop was at the Cider Museum ( a France Passion site), where the guided tour was solely in French, and I attempted to translate it for the benefit of my wife.. quite a challenge.

Toll routes are avoided, even to the extent of dropping down into Millau to avoid the toll bridge.. a much more pleasant route.

fuel economy averaged out just under 28mpg, and speeds kept down to region of 55 to 60 max where permitted, less on the country roads.

tag toll charges ZERO.

tonyg3nwl

MartinP - 2016-07-18 8:32 AM

Thanks Steve.

Not sure why I don't give myself a slap and remind myself that

i) I can't afford the tolls

ii) I'm not usually stuck for time

iii) I prefer to drive off motorway and see the countryside

iv) I get better mpg keeping my speed down.

we prefer to avoid the Peage AutoRoute, and set the Satnav accordingly. We find that the routing is often longer, and as we don't do the speeds shown on the autoroutes, would not benefit anyway.If we did do the extra speed, then the penalty is additional fuel costs.

We likewise are rarely in a hurry to get anywhere in particular, and have found many an interesting town or village for overnight stops by usual the country routes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived