Which leisure batteries.

ribs

The domestic battery on our Hymer is starting to fade and will need replacement before too long. On our previous liveaboard boat, we went for Elecsols - in the hope that we wouldn't be constantly changing batteries every couple of years - as we had done with cheaper ones. It proved to be a good move. When we sold the boat they were eight years old - and still efficient. It appears now that Elecsol don't exist any more - so we can't go down that route for the van. What are the alternatives - which to go for, which to avoid? Any recommendations (either way), based on your experiences, would be gratefully received.

Over very many years I have only ever used normal standard lead acid batteries......these days 'sealed for life'!

It's difficult to remember but I believe that they have all lasted at least 7 or 8 years.

My current one is over 9 years old!

PS. Hymer normally use Gel batteries!

Elecsol-branded batteries were heavily advertised, but gained a patchy reputation regarding their longevity and the distributor’s attitude to under-warranty claims. Some buyers' Elecsol batteries performed and lasted well, but many people were unhappy.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=elecsol+batteries+problems

The Elecsol distributor ceased trading in (I believe) 2014.

I understand your motorhome is a 1992-built Hymer S550. I don’t know what size/type of leisure-battey Hymer would have fitted (possibly a gel type as EJB has suggested) but after 24 years it’s highly unlikely your motorhome stll has its original battery.

In the 1990s a relatively small capacity leisure-battery was the norm (say 80Ah) for motorhomes and if that’s roughly the capacity of what you have now, received wisdom (on this forum) is that a Varta LFD90 would be a good choice as a replacement.

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/leisure/professional-dual-purpose/930-090-080

The Varta LFD90 is maintenance-free ‘wet’ lead-acId type, so if your current battery is a gel type you’d need to check whether your battery-charger’s setting would need to be altered. An LFD90 can be vented via a vent-tube and if your Hymer’s leisure-battery is installed ‘openly’ in the habitation area (eg. beneath a cab-seat or in a seat locker) it would be sensible to fit a vent-tube leading outside the vehicle.

Hi

Avoid the banners - overpriced and under performing IMHO. My pair lasted 6 months.

LFD90's a good bet, but if you have plenty of height consider the Exide ER650's that I fitted. Only had em for 6 months so too early for a recommendation based on experience.

The ER650's are '140AH' at the 20 hour rate (eg when discharged fully in 20 hrs), or 150AH at the more realistic 100hr rate. They have the same base-plate size as a 110AH, but are a good 2" taller.

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/140-ah-exide-deep-cycle-leisure-battery/

Nigel

For more information on the Varta LFD90 battery have a look on aandncaravanservices.co.uk website. They have an excellent section on battery Technolgy and explain why these make such good leisure batteries. I had two fitted earlier this year - no more expensive than supposedly high quality batteries from Tayna.

Davud

Thanks for the input folks. I've had Varta starter batteries on my last two vans and have found them satisfactory. Stupid I suppose, but I'd never thought of Varta leisure batteries. That's the route that we'll go down.

ribs - 2016-07-03 2:19 PM

Thanks for the input folks. I've had Varta starter batteries on my last two vans and have found them satisfactory. Stupid I suppose, but I'd never thought of Varta leisure batteries. That's the route that we'll go down.

Actually, the LFD range are, apparently, dual leisure/starter batteries but, as I say, have a look at the description on the aandncaravanservices.co.uk website for more information. They do come in a range of sizes too.

David

Archived