AM radio medium/long wave

Airstream

The radio in our Fiat x250 is ok on FM but very poor on medium/long wave, so question is can you get good reception on your set? if yes can you advise make etc

Our van does now have an external aerial but no better than before fitting

Regards Ray

I'm not sure there is much being transmitted on AM these days - but having said that Radio 4 certainly is on long wave and we've not been able to get it in N France for some years.

Our broadcast aerial (the original Hymer fit, 2006 MH) is a small dipole on the windscreen and maybe that's the problem; the MH manufacturer perhaps gave up on receiving AM some time ago and didn't fit a suitable aerial.

We got Radio 4 on Long Wave as far south in France as St Remy (almost on the Med coast). The van was an Autosleeper Duetto on a MK7 Transit and sadly our current van on a Peugeot Boxer does not have Long Wave (got two Medium Wave bands instead, which are useless for listening to the UK).

we travel extensively in France, and fortunately the motorhome radio has FM and AM. We find generally we can get R4 LW quite a good sound and signal to about half way down France, We also have a small portable radio which is now very old, but can again get R4 LW to roughly half way down, but it does depend what external interference you get \s to how listenable it is.

In fact we are considering changing the motorhome in the near future, and one of my concerns is that it will be very unlikely that and AM radio would be fitted....shame, and as internet signal is very varied, it may not be possible to pick up BBC UK news much longer. Time was, when SW Radio provided BBC World service, but that d=sadly now seems to have disappeared.

There are some car radio aerial amplifiers available on e-bay , they fit between the aerial and the radio. Beware though the cheaper tubular ones are only power supplies for aerial amplfiers. The ones that you need are mostly square shaped and the add says they give about 25 dbs gain.

Brian B.

Thanks for the info to date

I need AM for Radio TT whilst in the Isle of Man as all the practice and races are broadcast on AM

I can get good reception on my small handheld radio but its very selective on where it will work and US on the move, but my Fiat (Blaupunkt) set in the van will not get any AM stations

Hence my revised question who has a car radio that gets Radio TT AM in the isle of Man ?

Ray

Have a look at the Kenwood KDC 100UR which lists amongst it's features :

Non-volatile preset memory for 24 stations (18 x FM, 3 x MW, 3 x LW)

The non volatile memory means it can handle total power shutdown yet doesn't need reprogramming of the stations. Holds them in the set even if all the batteries are isolated for weeks in storage.

Seems to sell for about £50 so likely to have a very good Tuner chip, unlike some of the budgets?

Has a CD, MP3, Android support, USB charging feature (1 amp phone charge), removable facia.

It's a 2016 model so should be easy to find?

Archived