T625 Burstner

Max Speed

Greetings from frozen north, now here's a thing ,old bertie Burstner in for its annual MOT today,with the same test house as used for the last 7 years, and a query raised it's head over the Ministery plate under the bonnet.

Has 2 plates fitted, 1 is the ALKO plate giving axle weights etc and the other is the fitted at manufacture Fiat plate ,which should , I was told, also have axle weights etc on it ??.

Has anyone come across this before as I would assume that FIAT would have only supplied a half chassis cab to Burstner with only the front transaxle fitted?

So how could this plate be stamped as no accurate weights could be calculated at cab manufacture.

If any of the gang can focus any light on this one ,it would be appreciated

Regards

Max Speed

If you have both the Fiat VIN (with no weights shown) and the ALCO plate showing weights, then I would have thought you have all areas covered. Plus the V5 should show the maximum allowable weight and tie up with the max weight shown on the ALCO plate.

My secondhand van came with just the Fiat VIN plate (with no weights) and I couldn't even find the ALCO plate. I emailed Lowdhams, the dealer who sold the van, and they sent me the Carthago weight sticker and a load of other important documents relating to the vehicle. Obviously, they had failed to pass on these documents to the first owner at point of sale.

If your van was originally sold in the UK, it might be worth contacting the Dealer rather than Burstner in Germany.

I have now been reliably informed that the ALKO plate/sticker is added when the Fiat Chassis cab is modified with a new chassis at either Burstner works or ALKO the plate which is added after the whole conversion is the info that should be used by an MOT stsaion.

The fact that the FIAT VIN Plate is not stamped is that weights cannot be verified if only a chassis cab is supplied.

This has all come about with the MOT spec changes last year!!

This would seem to apply to any constructor supplying coach built RV's ,however ,Van supplied for conversion may be a different kettle of fish!

Hey Ho Eh!!

Historically, when a motorhome was built with an Al-Ko chassis, Fiat used to provide a standard Ducato base vehicle and the chassis to the rear of the cab section was then sawn off and replaced by the Al-Ko equivalent. In such cases, as the Fiat chassis had two axles, 4 wheels, etc. the Fiat VIN-plate could carry maximum axle-weight data.

Some years back Fiat began to offer just the cab section of a Ducato with a pre-fitted bracket to which an Al-Ko chassis could be bolted. (See “Back to Back Fiat Ducato on following link.)

http://www.graysgarage.co.uk/new_fiat_vans.php

As a ‘cab-only’ Ducato has just two wheels and there’s nothing behind the cab and no certainty what specification of rear chassis will be fitted, the Fiat VIN-plate cannot carry axle-weight data.

Logically, if a Ducato-based motorhome has ECWVTA (European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval) and an Al-Ko chassis, one might expect there to be 3 data-plates - a Fiat plate with no axle-weights, an Al-Ko plate with axle-weights and a motorhome converter’s plate with axle-weights.

Hi Derek,

Correct, the converter will add 2 extra plates 1 the AL-CO plate & 2 the converters plate,with the original Fiat VIN plate devoid of any axle weights.

3 plates are fitted to the T625 as per correct spec.

Thanks guys for all your input , this problem has only occurred on the 4th when in for an MOT,never happened before.

One does tend to wonder,??

The relevant MOT Inspection Manual can be viewed here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518634/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles.pdf

Section 3.9 shows an example of a vehicle manufacturer’s data-plate.

Section 6.3 refers to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and mentions that “multi-stage build vehicles” (eg. motorhomes) may have more than one VIN.

I can’t find anything to suggest that - when more than one VIN-plate is present - each plate MUST carry axle-weight data.

When a motorhome is based on a Fiat Ducato ‘back-to-back’ cab, it should be anticipated that the Fiat VIN-plate will not carry axle-weight data. However, unless the MOT tester is a motorhome geek, it’s understandable that the lack of axle-weight information on the Fiat plate will seem odd.

Archived