Duetto 1st service

Guest Sylvia A Burman-Hunt

Guest Sylvia A Burman-Hunt
May be of interest to other Duetto owners approaching their first service. I telephoned the main dealership some 20 miles away to book the Transit in for its first 12 month service. Discovered that 1. they wanted it for 8.30am, not a happy prospect in retirement and also rush hour to the city, 2. they quoted a cost of £150 plus VAT plus oil plus parts, 3. the dealership is some distance from the city centre on a retail park so not much entertainment there for a dull morning. I asked them if the service had to be carried out by a Ford dealership, they admitted that no, it did not, but if I went elsewhere the warranty could be invalidated if non-Ford parts were used, or the service was not carried out in accordance with the Ford service plan. I telephoned my usual service garage, Spencer & Gilbert who are noted in the MMM guide to motorcaravan service garages, I have been to them for years and never been dissatisfied. They quoted me £56. plus VAT plus oil plus parts (oil filter) which would be genuine Ford parts. The bill afterwards was £91. About half or less what the total bill would have been at the main dealership and I have a good deal more confidence in their workmanship than in the Ford Dealership, of whom I have no previous experience. You pays your money . . . . . .

Guest Mike E
Quotes for servicing my 2002 Duetto at Main Dealers in Cardiff varies from £150 all in at Evans Halshaw and £90 all in at Fordthorne. It clearly pays to shop around. From this year when the warranty expires I'm dispensing with the annual service as I will do the basic checks myself. In the past I've been involved with motorsport so, apart from my aching bones, this poses no problems for me. But I will get an annual oil and filter change for £33 from HI Q. They use Castrol Magnatec. In my view this price is so low its hardly worth doing it myself. While on the ramp they also check the tyres and underside.

Guest Derek Uzzell
As far as I'm concerned, the price of vehicle maintenance should reflect what's involved, how long the work takes and how well it's done. For example, there's a world of difference between the couple of minutes needed to carry out a visual inspection of the condition of a vehicle's brakes, or removing all the wheels, disassembling the brake mechanisms, cleaning and lubricating appropriate surfaces, etc. The former may be all that a manufacturer's service-schedule specifies, but the latter procedure may be preferable for a low annual-mileage motorhome. Like Silvia I prefer my vehicles to be serviced by people I trust and I don't want the work rushed just to save me a few quid. Having said that, there are things I choose to do myself prior to service (eg. check battery-electrolyte levels, check tyre pressures) and I tell the garage they should omit these tasks. I'd rather an experienced mechanic spend his time doing things he can do better than I can, than carry out basic tasks that I would have rechecked later in any case.

Guest Clive
And what little traps does Derek set to ensure that all the dealer says has been done has actually been done? Do you trust them?

Archived