Polish on plastic trim

bobalobs

Our five year old PVC is showing discolouration on the plastic wheelarches and body mouldings caused by careless use of Mer and/or wax polish. Tried to scrub it off today with limited success. Before I use Autoglym bumper care or the Mer equivalent has anyone found something better and longer lasting?

For any material to be effective I would imagine it works like shellac on furniture by building up a layer of film on the surface.

A shiny surface is obtained on metal by bending the molecules so they present a flat appearance and therefore appear shiny.

I'm not aware that the surface construction of plastic can be improved at all for its original shine is achieved by the hot molten material being pressed tight against a highly polished surface.

On Hard Plastics that are tired, like White plastic lockers that have faded to 'off White' we use CIF cream. It gets the White Locker Door suround, Toilet housing, Fridge vents, Gas water Heater Cover, etc. back to almost white. It gets almost any hard plastic clean.

Very good on Caravan Grab Handles when a Caravan has been pushed into the workshop by greasy hands!!.

However, not tried CIF on coloured surfaces which presumably yours is?

It contains 'micro particles' yet they don't seem to scratch the surface, but might do on shiny coloured finishes?

After the CIF we then put on Simoniz Bumper and Tyre Gel to protect the Plastic, it isn't long lasting, but lockers close much better afterwards. Especially if you put it on rubber seals that are dragging.

It is also good applied on the window rubber seals, as it stops the window sticking to the Rubber seal. Also seems to banish Spiders. No Spider nest building under windows since we started applying it once a year.

I posted this, got a server error and invalid page so tried again, another error, tried again......

:$

974011588_CIFcream.jpg.938fccf531d24dce7df39509f3c831e3.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The mouldings are varying shades of grey to nearly black and I would like to see the result of using Wurth before going down that line as if it is the wrong shade there is a lot of dyed bumper to look at on an X250 !

I think Cif could cause further discolouration on a dark moulding though I too have used it in the past on white plastic moulding with success. I presume the gel spoken of by AandA is similar to the Autoglym bumper care which is described as "semipermanent" depending on conditions.

Anyone know what the professional valeters use or do they have the same problem?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The mouldings are varying shades of grey to nearly black and I would like to see the result of using Wurth before going down that line as if it is the wrong shade there is a lot of dyed bumper to look at on an X250 !

I think Cif could cause further discolouration on a dark moulding though I too have used it in the past on white plastic moulding with success. I presume the gel spoken of by AandA is similar to the Autoglym bumper care which is described as "semipermanent" depending on conditions.

Anyone know what the professional valeters use or do they have the same problem?

I used similar, it works very well, highly recommend.

I used similar, it works very well, highly recommend.

bobalobs - 2016-07-07 11:01 AM

Professional valeters will use whatever they happen to prefer or are promoting from experience.

However a relative who is a vehicle refinisher uses Wurth products as they do not contain silicone which apparently is a nightmare from a painting point of view.

For general cleaning and long lasting plastic care he put me on to this

https://eshop.wuerth.de/Plastic-care-PLACARECOMPD-1000ML/0893477.sku/en/US/EUR/

it is particularly good and I now use in preference to all the others I have tried but it is best used on good condition non discoloured plastic. For badly discoloured tired plastic he uses the previous product the results of which are particularly good. I have only used it on motorcycle grey plastic and it makes it look new.

Basil

Hi if its just to get the polish of get some Carkit wash and wax waterless car cleaner from the Range store .Cleans the old residue off and leaves a bit of a shine.The shine only lasts about a month but only takes a couple of minutes to do and at £2.49 a bottle is cheap

REgards David

Archived