LPG: Stupid Morrisons

A jobsworth at Morrisons filling station refused to let me fill my Gaslow. He could see t was a proper installation with filler in the side of the van, showed me instructions from head office. Pretty clear to me that it referred to filling cylinders not filling a permanent installation but he was having none of it.

henrypartridge - 2016-07-05 11:04 PM

A jobsworth at Morrisons filling station refused to let me fill my Gaslow. He could see t was a proper installation with filler in the side of the van, showed me instructions from head office. Pretty clear to me that it referred to filling cylinders not filling a permanent installation but he was having none of it.

There was a fire recently at a Morrisons filling station. It was caused by a dodgy looking home made LPG installation. There are photos out there somewhere to show this. Morrisons put a total ban on any bottled gas system and even underslung tanks I think. A few of their filling stations do allow it now, probably because they miss the filling operation.

Shell filling stations have information on their LPG Pumps which plainly states that NO bottled systems are allowed to be filled (even though it is not strictly enforced). My local Shell garage refused me a few years ago. Rules is rules and they had the right to stop me. I accept their rules but have not bought a litre of petrol or diesel from them since. :D

henrypartridge

These two earlier forum discussions refer to Morrisons’s stance regarding the refilling of motorhome ‘domestic’ gas reservoirs.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Filling-L-P-G-at-Morrisons/41481/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gaslow-problem/41716/

You’ll note that the ‘ban’ has been in place for some time, probably as a result of an accident in 2014 (see links below)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/eccles-morrisons-petrol-station-fire-7154094

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/eccles-morrisons-camper-van-lpg-7154852

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/eccles-couple-blasted-petrol-station-7160910

where what looks suspiciously like a Gaslow cylinder was being refilled.

Comments in the earlier Out&AboutLive forum discussions (and on other forums) suggest that it is possible to refill motorhome gas systems at some Morrisons branches. It’s anybody’s guess however whether this is because the fact that a ‘domestic’ gas system is being refilled goes unnoticed, or that Morrisons no longer has a blanket ban on motorhome domestic gas systems being refilled, or that some Morrisons service-station attendants are unaware of the ban.

Although it might be “pretty clear” to you that your Gaslow system falls outside the Morrisons Head Office instructions that were shown to you by the Morrisons employee you are now slagging off, it would appear from previous discussions on motorhome forums that the Morrisons instructions do not specifically exclude from the ban gas canisters designed to be user-refillable and ‘permanently’ installed in a motorhome.

It needs to be recognised that there are potential problems refilling user-refillable gas canisters at service stations selling autogas, and it’s reasonably well known that attempting to refill at Morrisons carries a particular risk of being refused. It should be obvious that it’s unrealistic to expect a service-station attendant to have the technical expertise to agree that a motorhome’s refillable gas system is ‘permanent’, well engineered, safe, etc. merely because the motorhome's owner claims it is.

As you are confident that the Morrisons Head Office ‘banning’ instructions do not apply to your type of system, I suggest you contact Morrisons and ask them whether or not your belief is correct. If Morrisons are prepared to provide you with those instructions and you copy them to this forum, the wording and meaning of the text can be argued over here.

I was looking at a map of LPG refilling sources the other day and noticed that a few are caravan location or industrial firms rather than garages.  A caravan location could presumably make a business opportunity out of selling LPG for domestic use in caravans and motorhomes if they chose to do - and presumably they would have the skills to spot the cowboy would-be-fillers too.  With garages shying away from allowing refilling and Calor banning it at their outlets for presumably primarily commercial reasons, the opportunity might be growing.

And  there would be an opportunity to sell LPG at a lower rate of VAT too; LPG sold for domestic (non-propulsion) purposes attracts 5% VAT rather than the higher rate.

I suppose the business case for a caravan dealer would turn on the volume likely to be sold as well as practical issues like space for the pump.  And I doubt if I would bother to divert to a caravan dealer to fill up with LPG unless the convenience of a garage forecourt was not available.  I've always found somewhere to fill up when necessary so far but it does seem to be getting more difficult to find places.

From on-line comments it’s evident that some motorcaravanners have been able to obtain an account with Countrywide Farmers that allows them to refill their motorhome’s ‘domestic’ gas reservoirs (Gaslow type) and be charged VAT at 5%.

Not sure how this squares with the large notice at the local Countrywide Farmers installation that states “DO NOT FILL BOTTLES”.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-07-06 8:54 AMFrom on-line comments it’s evident that some motorcaravanners have been able to obtain an account with Countrywide Farmers that allows them to refill their motorhome’s ‘domestic’ gas reservoirs (Gaslow type) and be charged VAT at 5%.Not sure how this squares with the large notice at the local Countrywide Farmers installation that states “DO NOT FILL BOTTLES”.

That looks promising - let's hope the "Do not fill bottles" sign refers to people refilling rental bottles.  Unfortunately "countrywide" isn't countrywide and doesn't seem to include East Anglia.

henrypartridge - 2016-07-05 11:04 PM

So your Gaslow bottles are a permanent installation and not one or two loose bottles in a cupboard?

Due to the decline in sales of LPG vehicles/conversions, electricity is taking over, filling locations are slowly becoming fewer!

The decline in LPG outlets may only be temporary. After several years of favouring diesel vehicles due to lower Co2 emissions it now offical they are too dirty and watch the next budget for possible changes in Road Tax that could well favour the cleanest fuel of all LPG. I bet most manufacturers will be offering the choice again before long

Bearing in mind the next PM and their Cof E might be busy any changes might be a bit later but the rumours have been flying.

George Collings - 2016-07-06 10:25 PMThe decline in LPG outlets may only be temporary. After several years of favouring diesel vehicles due to lower Co2 emissions it now offical they are too dirty and watch the next budget for possible changes in Road Tax that could well favour the cleanest fuel of all LPG. I bet most manufacturers will be offering the choice again before long....

A decline in numbers of Autogas outlets is less relevant than the proportion which will not allow MHs to be refilled on their premises for safety reasons - and that's not an environmental issue.

StuartO - 2016-07-07 8:01 AM
George Collings - 2016-07-06 10:25 PMThe decline in LPG outlets may only be temporary. After several years of favouring diesel vehicles due to lower Co2 emissions it now offical they are too dirty and watch the next budget for possible changes in Road Tax that could well favour the cleanest fuel of all LPG. I bet most manufacturers will be offering the choice again before long....

A decline in numbers of Autogas outlets is less relevant than the proportion which will not allow MHs to be refilled on their premises for safety reasons - and that's not an environmental issue.

Exactly right IMO. I feel it's better to have options with LPG, and I favour one refillable and one exchange bottle.

Archived