Waste masters......why?......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Now that we're full timing, and spending more time on CC sites in the UK........I know the CC are slow in keeping up with the trend in fully serviced pitches, but I'm curious as to why so many Moho owners seem to carry a waste master or similar ? :-S ..........

Why don't they use the toilet cassette to drain the grey water into (?) ........Its one less bit of kit to carry about ;-) .......

pelmetman - 2016-07-06 11:51 AM

Now that we're full timing, and spending more time on CC sites in the UK.......

Ooer!..'ark at you, Mr money bags.

You'll be getting some use out of your blazer and straw boater then? (lol)

Should we be keeping an eye out for you on the 2017 "Caravanner of the year" TV show? (lol)

..and as Tracker said, what's wrong with a simple bucket(assuming you don't want to move the van).

I thought you had one with a hole in the bottom? ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2016-07-06 12:53 PM

I thought CC sites had grey waste disposal points. Take van to disposal point? Let the drain take the strain? Why hump it when you can dump it? Why Wastemaster indeed! :-D

Yeah but......It means you need to move the van ;-) ........Not a good idea after a bottle of Chardonnay or two........I've gotten myself in enough of a pickle just emptying the cassette when pickled 8-) .......

As a matter of interest most caravan parks in OZ have power, water & a grey waste drain for each site. In the inland areas often it is expected that you drain your grey water onto the base of the trees as there is usually no rain to speak of for a couple of months each summer. Our Auto-trail was locally fitted with a water connection on the services side of the vehicle to allow us to hook up to town water. Cheers,

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2016-07-06 2:11 PM

I thought you had one with a hole in the bottom? ;-)

My holey bucket....Is no more....

I've had to chuck it .....coz I'm so poor :D ......

It was the price of gaffa tape that done it ....

As I could no longer afford to wrap it 8-) .....

A number of motorhomes have a waste pipe so low to the ground that they cannot get a bucket under them. I have seen a few pre 2007 Autotrails like that. One in particular had to put a wooden block under the outside end to get the other end low enough to go under the waste outlet.

I see that some new vans have a waste disposal pipe under the van, centrally placed. It is opened with some sort of slide arrangement I think. It's fine for the mega rich who can fulltime on CCSites I suppose. *-)

747 - 2016-07-06 4:03 PM

I see that some new vans have a waste disposal pipe under the van, centrally placed. It is opened with some sort of slide arrangement I thin

Our previous van(Chausson) was like that, and it could at times be a pain to empty.

When we were somewhere without a drive-over waste point, I used to use a cut down "Tuff-tub" slid underneath.(..I suppose a proper wheeled Waste hog would've served us better but would've been a bigger lump to lug about).

We have always had an alternative means of draining the waste tank for a couple of very good reasons. First it does save moving the van (especially when pitched for long periods) and second, in winter, the small rectangular black waste container we had was used to drain water straight into rather than risk a large frozen lump in the waste tank by next morning.

The black tank mentioned earlier served us well when we had our PVC's - a bucket would not fit under - but now with the Chausson it has a very nice handle with a gate valve at the other end that you simply pull to release the waste water from a large bore outlet. Unfortunately, it is situation just aft if the rear axle and just about in the middle of the van - great in France when so often you can just reverse over a large grid, pull the handle and let it pour but not so good at CC (or most UK sites) when trying to manoeuvre the said outlet that is hidden from view over a 12" square drain! So, I bought a second hand waste master that reaches nicely to the outlet and sits in the garage until we need to use it for the purpose for which it was designed - and I don't have to carry it now.

David

I asked a motorhomer on a site in Scotland why he did this. His response was he didn't want to drive to the service point. When I said I drained my waste into the toilet cassette if I wasn't driving past the waste point, he just looked at me.

You might find it is more prominent amongst ex-caravanners because they already have the container and those who buy a caravan with four wheels and an engine who have been advised it is the way to do it.

It's whatever suits your style of motorhoming.

We just leave the gray waste tap open with an old washing up basin underneath, make sure we park near a disposal point and empty it when it gets full. Likewise we fill the water tank with a watering can. Can't be arsed keep moving the motorhome all the time.

Now I can understand the owner of a 7 meter plus coachbuilt who has spent the best part of an hour getting the vehicle just where he/she??? wanted it, on ramps, just so they could have the maximum space on the pitch, and then has set up his safari room etc, not wishing to move the van. But as we are all being told the advantage of a motorhome is its mobility, are we going down the slippery slope followed by caravanners?

I do move the van fairly frequently as I have found that leaving the waste in the tank for more than a day or so can lead to smells, and we usually leave all the sink plugs in to minimise this. If I am not square over the drain, so what? When i have finished I use the hose provided to wash everything into the drain.

The answer is.................do not buy suich a ru...y great big motorhome in the first place.

Our waste tank is 80ltrs so draining it into the toilet cassette would mean many trips, secondly the toilet cassette will not fit under the outlet pipe.

So we use a wate master under the waste outlet just like caravans do , then it is eAsy to take to the nearest hedge etc when full. We don't belong to the CC anymore and I have never seen a disposal point on any of the sites we have been on. In our case the waste-master still rules.

We also use an aqua-roll instead of a 5 ltr drinks bottle to fill our fresh tank.

Everyone to their own I guess.

Dave225 - 2016-07-06 8:01 PM

Now I can understand the owner of a 7 meter plus coachbuilt who has spent the best part of an hour getting the vehicle just where he/she??? wanted it, on ramps, just so they could have the maximum space on the pitch, and then has set up his safari room etc, not wishing to move the van. But as we are all being told the advantage of a motorhome is its mobility, are we going down the slippery slope followed by caravanners?

I do move the van fairly frequently as I have found that leaving the waste in the tank for more than a day or so can lead to smells, and we usually leave all the sink plugs in to minimise this. If I am not square over the drain, so what? When i have finished I use the hose provided to wash everything into the drain.

The answer is.................do not buy suich a ru...y great big motorhome in the first place.

Maybe a tad unfair Dave225........

The van happens to be 7.3m (although we have been living with PVC's for the last ten years or so) but we hardly ever use ramps to level, don't have a safari room and have squeezed onto fairly small pitches.

With the noticeable change in the UK weather we found ourselves indoors for more of the time which was the primary driver for bucking the trend and upsizing. Travelling through France/Spain etc we tend to be on the move regularly but, as I said, their emptying points are designed to park over and empty. Here it's not simply a case of being 'not quite square' over the drain but virtually impossible, given the location of the tank outlet, to get anywhere near over it - the result would be 100 litres of waste water running all,over the site which is not a very responsible approach.

Once we reach a particularly nice destination, particularly over winter in Spain, we may choose to stay for a couple of weeks and it is far more relaxing just to slip the waste container under the tank outlet and empty it now and then - result - we don't suffer from waste smells coming up through the drains.

People just figure out what works best for them.

David

Sorry for repeating myself - there appears to be a fault - I kept getting a message saying the action had failed so pressed submit again then tried looking at the forum using a different windows page - hey presto - loads of 'em!

Guest pelmetman

I tend to find that after 3 days the cassette needs emptying, so emptying the grey waste at the same time seems sensible..........

Its also a good way to rinse out the cassette when using aires in winter and the waters turned off ;-) ......

I can't afford to use Club Sites like you rich Southerners, so the first thing I do when looking for a new van is to ensure a bucket will fit under the waste pipe. Everything else we can live with. :->

We only use Temporary Holiday Sites, the odd CS and a bit of wilding. There is always a hedge close by for disposal of grey waste.

pelmetman - 2016-07-06 8:37 PM

I tend to find that after 3 days the cassette needs emptying, so emptying the grey waste at the same time seems sensible..........

Its also a good way to rinse out the cassette when using aires in winter and the waters turned off ;-) ......

Yes, absolutely agree, it is a good and sensible method. It wouldn't work quite as well for me as the tank outlet is right in the middle of the van underside - a normal fit person would not have any diffuculty rolling around on the ground to position the cassette under the outlet (on a cold, wet, midsummer day) but I am not quite as flexible as I once was - so rolling the waste master under rather than me is the better solution.

David

derek pringle - 2016-07-07 8:28 AM

hi,

Am I missing something , how does staying on a C.C. site mean you do not still need the service of your

toilet cassette?

cheers

derek

I don't think they mean that the cassette is to remain under the drain outlet, only that it can be used to "decant" the grey waste into....

('Can't say that I'd really want to be removing the loo cassette and sliding & dragging it under the van, each time I wanted to empty some "grey" though ?)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2016-07-07 8:55 AM

('Can't say that I'd really want to be removing the loo cassette and sliding & dragging it under the van, each time I wanted to empty some "grey" though ?)

Nor would I..........which is why I empty our grey waste after I've emptied the loo ;-) ..........

Plus my "New" guzunder has wheels, just like a waste master B-) .........

Don't really see the problem, or the need to spend £50 on a Waste Master when a £3 bucket will do.

On a site we drive to the "Service Point" and do the filling and emptying bit, - fairly easy to get the waste over the drain, Or if setup and anchored, drain into bucket and dispose sensibly, part of the daily camp chores are to empty the toilet cassette and drain off the waste water, along with topping up with 15 ltrs of fresh from my water container. - sometimes takes a couple of trips for the waste water.

In winter I leave the tap open and the bucket beneath to avoid having a block of ice where I don't want one to be.

When we get home - if we haven't already drained the waste water on site (weight factor), as long as the water isn't too dirty it goes onto the plants, - they seem quite happy.

Guess we are lucky in that our waste drain is at the side near the rear wheel and easy to access.

Don't really see the problem, or the need to spend £50 on a Waste Master when a £3 bucket will do.

On a site we drive to the "Service Point" and do the filling and emptying bit, - fairly easy to get the waste over the drain, Or if setup and anchored, drain into bucket and dispose sensibly, part of the daily camp chores are to empty the toilet cassette and drain off the waste water, along with topping up with 15 ltrs of fresh from my water container. - sometimes takes a couple of trips for the waste water.

In winter I leave the tap open and the bucket beneath to avoid having a block of ice where I don't want one to be.

When we get home - if we haven't already drained the waste water on site (weight factor), as long as the water isn't too dirty it goes onto the plants, - they seem quite happy.

Guess we are lucky in that our waste drain is at the side near the rear wheel and easy to access.

Sounds quite a good idea for sites with no motorhome service point or in the winter when u dnt want your waste tank freezing and holds more than a bucket so no worries about it over flowing. Plus will fit under a pvc van unlike a bucket :-D But there is probably something cheaper on the market which. Will do the same job.

Archived