Buyer beware

baden87

Hhm very interesting Baden 87. We have also just received a refund on our M/H due to it being damp.wonder if it's the same company. We saw the van for sale 2 days later and like yourself wonder if the new buyer is aware of the problem. we were told when the damp was confirmed that it would be at least 2 weeks for the problem to be rectified so we know it wasn't repaired before it went on sale again.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-07-09 9:07 AM
StuartO - 2016-07-08 5:50 PMNot clear to me yet what sort of dampness you discovered after you bought this motorhome, perhaps you could explain?  Juddering when reversing is not uncommon with Ducatos and my MH does it, especially if reversing up an incline or pushing a trailer and I regard that as a characteristic rather than a fault which can be remedied.  What sort of thump and where on start up?  What sort of clonking, when and where?  Did you get it looked at by anyone and did they think these were faults needing repair?

It might also be useful if you explain what your expectations are.  Is it a matter of repairing the dampness etc before selling to anyone else or do you expect more?  Do you feel the dealer should scrap this MH because of the faults you feel where present?

The damp/knocking/thumping issues were mentioned in these earlier forum threads.http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Damp/41790/http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Knock-knock/41775/http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Thump/41487/Baden87 no longer owns the motorhome (a 2007 Auto-Trail) and the dealer from whom he bought the vehicle refunded the purchase price. Apparently the motorhome has now been resold, but there is no legal imperative compelling Baden87 to inform the new owner of the damp/knocking/thumping that caused him to reject the motorhome and demand a refund.It’s evident that Baden87 feels he has a moral responsibility to warn the motorhome’s new owner about the damp/knocking/thumping and I would certainly not dissuade him from doing this. In my posting of 7 July 2016 7:55 AM I assumed that Baden87 did not know what the dealer told the new owner regarding the motorhome’s condition and this appears to be the case (“...I would be interested what he told the new buyer...”)It is often said that no good deed goes unpunished. If Baden87 proactively contacts the new owner and recounts his (Baden87’s) experience when he briefly owned the motorhome, it’s near certain that the new owner will get in touch with the dealer about this. The dealer’s reaction is unpredictable, but undoubtedly the dealer will know who ‘informed’ and probably won’t be too pleased! (Baden87 now has another motorhome and I assume this was not purchased from the same dealership - otherwise he’d need to think very carefully about what he’s considering doing.)This is a moral dilemma, not a legal one. If Baden87 decides not to tell the motorhome’s new owner about the damp/knocking/thumping, he’ll need to live with that decision. If he does decide to tell the motorhome’s new owner about the damp/knocking/thumping (which, if it is to be done, should be done without delay) he’ll need to accept any consequences. As you rightly ask, what are Baden87’s objectives regarding what he believes the dealer should do and can those objectives be realistically achieved?
hi Derek, What is your opinion on the supplying by the dealer a certificate stating the m/h was damp free. I would have thought that potentially some legal redress may be in order.cheersderek

Archived