michael Gove is out - where does he go now?

StuartO

I was delighted to hear that he has been excluded from the election of a new Conservative Leader; it would have been disgraceful to have an unscrupulous sod like him as Prime Minister. I think I would rather have Tony Blair back in harness (but him only as choice number 619 of our MPs).

Where does Michael Gove go now then?  Once upon a time you might assume he would ride off into the sunset but it wouldn't surprise me to see him running for something else if he gets the chance.

Gove is out ... Thought it was a reference to him telling the world he's gay ... Obviously not , more importantly who cares where he goes or what he does ... I'm a Tory voter and would suggest it's actually more important at the minute to worry about getting some form of opposition ... Tall order I know , are the monster raving loonies still going or are they the Labour Party now

Guest pelmetman

Andrea Leadsom for me B-) ..........New era requires a new broom..........the fact that she's not had the chance to be contaminated by the Tory demigods is a bonus in my book........I might even be tempted to vote Tory again 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2016-07-07 6:10 PM

Andrea Leadsom for me B-) ..........New era requires a new broom..........the fact that she's not had the chance to be contaminated by the Tory demigods is a bonus in my book........I might even be tempted to vote Tory again 8-) ..........

I agree. The fact that she is the only candidate with no experience of Senior government makes her the only one of this awful shower with anything going for her

PS: looking at the votes it looks like Bloody Theresa will win it though. So it will be like Thatcher all over again :-(

Andrea Leadsom for me B-) ..........New era requires a new broom.........

Must say I'm very surprised to hear that you are keen on an ex - banker.

Let's hope that all of us get a huge bonus every Xmas !

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2016-07-07 6:38 PM

;-)

At least she is an "ex" banker ;-) ..........

One thing I'm confident of is that our next PM will be a woman :D ...........Which is probably a good thing (lol) ...........

John52 - 2016-07-07 6:22 PM

I agree. The fact that she is the only candidate with no experience of Senior government makes her the only one of this awful shower with anything going for her

PS: looking at the votes it looks like Bloody Theresa will win it though. So it will be like Thatcher all over again :-(

Yep fingers crossed John she'll be as close to Her Majesty Mrs Thatcher as possible ... Lets hope we get Don Trump in too and he can be the new Ron Reagan ... Tell ya what life good at the minute is it not ??

Whoever it is, is it right that the PM of the UK should be chosen by a mere 150000 souls? I would assume a general election is on the cards as the winner really has no madate to rule. However, as we are all getting a bit of voting fatigue, the result might not be as clear cut as we all think.

We have 3 women leaders up here who all bash each other with handbags at dawn, so having another in the fray will lead to Lord knows what. The ladies loo must be a battlefield for who gets the mirror.

I am always amused at newspapers who run umpteen articles on equality but in the same breath run full pages of what clothes the female 'celeb' is wearing, and it is the women readers who read them avidly. I have the naive notion that it does not matter what you wear just as long as you can do the job, but evidently not when it comes to the other sex.

It was interesting to see Michael Gove, when he faced the press after being excluded from the contest, simply saying that he was disappointed not to have been preferred over other candidates - and not urging his supporters to support this or that one of the remaining two. 

Does that suggest he's not  walking away and sees himself as still having a central role?  I suppose if Theresa May needs someone to alienate the EU people and make the negotiations fail then he would be potentially suitable.

StuartO - 2016-07-08 8:29 AMIt was interesting to see Michael Gove, when he faced the press after being excluded from the contest, simply saying that he was disappointed not to have been preferred over other candidates - and not urging his supporters to support this or that one of the remaining two. 

Does that suggest he's not  walking away and sees himself as still having a central role?  I suppose if Theresa May needs someone to alienate the EU people and make the negotiations fail then he would be potentially suitable.

No, I think it suggests he doesn't care one way or the other, he's just glad that he has dodged a bullet. Like his pal Boris, they've managed to work it so that they can both walk away from the mess they've created and get on with the more important business of earning lots of money.

;-)

The broom may well have a new head on it, but it doesn't appear be any different from the ones we've already had....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3678061/Yes-s-talent-Mrs-Leadsom-fit-No-10.html?ITO=1490

http://www.desmog.uk/2015/05/25/mysterious-tory-donor-linked-energy-minister-andrea-leadsom-s-rise-power

:-S

pelmetman - 2016-07-07 6:47 PM

;-)

At least she is an "ex" banker ;-) ..........

One thing I'm confident of is that our next PM will be a woman :D ...........Which is probably a good thing (lol) ...........

Leopard, spots......

May a an ex banker but, as I recall, wasn't that the largest group of business people to get us into this ten year difficult period?

I'm fairly sure she could handle money OK but there are many more attributes required to run the government.

David

It would appear that Michael Gove has been kicked into touch (on the back benches) completely, which it good news to me; there are three Brexit politicians in charge of all aspects of getting us a deal from the EU, so I reckon Theresa May has played that side of things pretty well so far. Let's hope they can deliver.

I don't think she can lose whichever way it goes, having given them the can of worms that they were instrumental in opening if they fail she can say ' Don't blame me ' to the rest of the Brexit MPs if they don't get the concessions they predicted.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

This could get messy.

Those of a nervous disposition should look away now.

pkc - 2016-07-16 7:08 AM

Certainly applies to the appointment of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary.

Do you think ANY foreign government will take him seriously ?

;-)

malc d - 2016-07-16 9:41 AM

pkc - 2016-07-16 7:08 AM

Certainly applies to the appointment of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary.

Do you think ANY foreign government will take him seriously ?

;-)

Vatican City? ;-)

Friends, Friends, nobody knows yet, nor will they for some time yet. Wouldn't it be best to do everything we can to show ourselves and our country in the best light posiible. To show the world that we are a great nation,, united in our desire to trade with the whole world and participate in world affairs in our own right, and thus in a position to help those who need help, and speak out for those who are marginalised.

It serves no usefull purpose to be continuously blagging off all the politicians we have chosen to represent us. There is no great benefit to be accrued in going around telling the world that we are doomed and at their mercy, especially as it isn't true. Even if you think it is true, for Pete's sake don't let on, they might not have noticed. I've never played poker, but I understand that the key to success in that game is to try not to let your opponent know what he's up against, it would seem to me that might be our best strategy in the coming negotiations.

Europe is a basket case, with the exception of Germany almost all the countries will be in real trouble in the near future whether or not the EU breaks up, some financially, some politically, some both. The Russians are

starting to get ambitious on the eastern borders, and so far we have not been able to deter them, and Germany would probably like us to be on their side. It will be to everyone's benefit if we are supporting our leaders.

Let us all put aside our personal likes and dislikes, the exit decision is taken , the politicians are elected, lets get on with it.

So much knowledge, so little understanding.

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2016-07-16 4:10 PMFriends, Friends, nobody knows yet, nor will they for some time yet. Wouldn't it be best to do everything we can to show ourselves and our country in the best light posiible. To show the world that we are a great nation,, united in our desire to trade with the whole world and participate in world affairs in our own right, and thus in a position to help those who need help, and speak out for those who are marginalised.It serves no usefull purpose to be continuously blagging off all the politicians we have chosen to represent us. There is no great benefit to be accrued in going around telling the world that we are doomed and at their mercy, especially as it isn't true. Even if you think it is true, for Pete's sake don't let on, they might not have noticed. I've never played poker, but I understand that the key to success in that game is to try not to let your opponent know what he's up against, it would seem to me that might be our best strategy in the coming negotiations.Europe is a basket case, with the exception of Germany almost all the countries will be in real trouble in the near future whether or not the EU breaks up, some financially, some politically, some both. The Russians are starting to get ambitious on the eastern borders, and so far we have not been able to deter them, and Germany would probably like us to be on their side. It will be to everyone's benefit if we are supporting our leaders.Let us all put aside our personal likes and dislikes, the exit decision is taken , the politicians are elected, lets get on with it.So much knowledge, so little understanding.AGD

I've had the impression that most people are making the best of things and are setting about making Brexit work - I certainly am.  There are of course a few political extremists for whom there is but one answer and they aren't getting it, but as you said, Theresa has chosen her team and it will take a while for things to happen, so fingers crossed and let them get on with it.  Kind of Theresa to give us Boris to watch in action as Foreign Secretary; Boris is Boris and I'm sure she'll kick his ankles if he steps out of line too much.

I suppose most of us at a personal level are going to be a bit more careful about spending until it's clear what sort of economic prospect we face in the next year or two but there's probably not much we can do to alter the bigger picture.  The new situation might slow the MH industry down a bit when it was just getting used to an expanding market but hopefully it won't be too critical.

Archiesgrandad - 2016-07-16 4:10 PMFriends, Friends, nobody knows yet, nor will they for some time yet. Wouldn't it be best to do everything we can to show ourselves and our country in the best light posiible. To show the world that we are a great nation,, united in our desire to trade with the whole world and participate in world affairs in our own right, and thus in a position to help those who need help, and speak out for those who are marginalised.It serves no usefull purpose to be continuously blagging off all the politicians we have chosen to represent us. There is no great benefit to be accrued in going around telling the world that we are doomed and at their mercy, especially as it isn't true. Even if you think it is true, for Pete's sake don't let on, they might not have noticed. I've never played poker, but I understand that the key to success in that game is to try not to let your opponent know what he's up against, it would seem to me that might be our best strategy in the coming negotiations.Europe is a basket case, with the exception of Germany almost all the countries will be in real trouble in the near future whether or not the EU breaks up, some financially, some politically, some both. The Russians are starting to get ambitious on the eastern borders, and so far we have not been able to deter them, and Germany would probably like us to be on their side. It will be to everyone's benefit if we are supporting our leaders.Let us all put aside our personal likes and dislikes, the exit decision is taken , the politicians are elected, lets get on with it.So much knowledge, so little understanding.AGD

I like the cut of your jib Sir!

Archived