Stand alone solar panels

Will86

I notice them beside two Motorhomes on le Tour de France today.

They appeared to be about 2 ft x 8 ft and consisted of 3 panels or areas. Placed on the ground beside the vans which were of 6 - 7 metre length. any thoughts.

I did see some for sale in Maplins a few years back, the price was very cheap, but on further investigation they where very heavy and low output for size.

We all have our own way of doing things, for me a solar panel is something which is bolted on the roof and gets on with it's job with no input from me. As I've posted on another forum today, I just want to pull on the handbrake swivel the seat and put the kettle on.

colin - 2016-07-09 6:31 PM

I did see some for sale in Maplins a few years back, the price was very cheap, but on further investigation they where very heavy and low output for size.

We all have our own way of doing things, for me a solar panel is something which is bolted on the roof and gets on with it's job with no input from me. As I've posted on another forum today, I just want to pull on the handbrake swivel the seat and put the kettle on.

I used a freestanding 90 watt panel for around 5 years. It meant I never needed a hook up apart from a couple of Winter months. The efficiency is marginally better in Summer and exceedingly better than a roof mounted one in Winter.

Nowadays I have a 100 watt roof panel but I still carry the 90 watt panel in the garage. It can be plugged into the solar wiring system to increase input on dull or rainy days. It is fairly rare to need to do this but is handy to carry.

747 - 2016-07-09 7:02 PM

colin - 2016-07-09 6:31 PM

I used a freestanding 90 watt panel for around 5 years. It meant I never needed a hook up apart from a couple of Winter months. The efficiency is marginally better in Summer and exceedingly better than a roof mounted one in Winter.

Nowadays I have a 100 watt roof panel but I still carry the 90 watt panel in the garage. It can be plugged into the solar wiring system to increase input on dull or rainy days. It is fairly rare to need to do this but is handy to carry.

And that's another thing I posted, from November throu to mid march we only do a day or two at a time away, rest of year we can be away longer, in the past 5 years our 85w panel has never let the battry get flat, we only use hookups if given no option.

The size of a solar panel and the capacity of the battery bank all revolve around two factors being sun and the most important, usage.

If you have little usage then obviously a battery will last for ages, so I find postings that suggest an individuals system is x,y & z and last forever, a bit pointless.

As to the OP, I would find them a bit of a nuisance, as those I have seen in use, appear to require constant attention irrespective of the charge in the battery bank. Storage for me would be a problem but I dare say if I considered them worthwhile I could overcome that along with the heavy security chain and padlock.

Why would I need a chain and padlock? Is everyone a thief in your eyes.

You are just repeating the mantra I have heard over and over again. This thread is about freestanding panels. If you are just going to criticise the subject, why don't you go and read other threads and leave this one alone. Your post brings nothing but negatives to the discussion.

As my Granny always said, 'Think whatever you want and think before you speak'.

I thought the stand alone panels were too cumbersome to be a practical aid, but there they were, up in the mountains for all to see. I don't have SKY TV or any other means to reverse for a second look.

Regarding any lock and key, any loose objects would hardly be left out all night and in this type of personal interest situation (I've found) everyone is usually most friendly Plus my reason for posting was that they looked to be almost trailer size.

And for those who have SKY I don't remember where it was (Thursday I think) on the right hand side going up hill. They can't be missed, standing out like goats !

Will86 - 2016-07-10 6:05 PM

I thought the stand alone panels were too cumbersome to be a practical aid, but there they were, up in the mountains for all to see. I don't have SKY TV or any other means to reverse for a second look.

Regarding any lock and key, any loose objects would hardly be left out all night and in this type of personal interest situation (I've found) everyone is usually most friendly Plus my reason for posting was that they looked to be almost trailer size.

And for those who have SKY I don't remember where it was (Thursday I think) on the right hand side going up hill. They can't be missed, standing out like goats !

Whilst not exactly common, we do see quite a few stand alone panels on our winter trips to Spain & Portugal at various free camps/aires. Some of them are quite large...each to their own.

Archived