Nuevo roof - safe to walk/crawl on?

David B

To clean and polish the roof of our recently acquired A-S Nuevo is it safe (ignoring the possibility of falling off!) to walk or crawl about on it? I assume as you can have a rear ladder and roof rack that the roof is sufficiently strong enough to support a 12.5 stone person.

Hi David- I strongly recommend you do not walk or crawl on your motorhome roof, it would not collapse but would bend or buckle and possibly start leaks. If you do feel the need to clean the top then use a long handled wash brush, any other type of work up there needs proper scaffolding gantrys and span supports clear of the roof. chas

[QUOTE]. . . . I strongly recommend you do not walk or crawl on your motorhome roof, it would not collapse but would bend or buckle and possibly start leaks.[/QUOTE]

Is that true of all motorhomes Chas, or just that particular one?

After all, the ladder at the back isn't 'just' there to give you access to clean the roof, surely?

Hi Way2go- In my opinion very few motorhomes are strong enough to carry a persons weight, I have seen American R.Vs stating that their particular models are strong enough for standing on, and that may well be true, with how well built they are, they do not worry about tight payloads like the British type vans whose construction is completly different. The ladder up the rear of the van may look tempting but IMO is there to gain access to a reachable roof box or rack. I suppose the only way to find out would be to contact the manufacturer of the model in question. My self personly would be never to walk about on an expensive motorhome roof. As stated I would not expect it to collapse, but the hidden damage it may cause does not make it worth it. chas

I think it depends on the make and model - the handbook is probably the best place to check. Our Swift-group 'van says it's OK as long as you keep away from the immediate over-cab area, and goes on to suggest you should wear deck shoes. That's the first time I've receive fashion advice from a motorhome manufacturer, but then I guess it's really to do with safety. I've been up there a few times to check everything's OK and replace the Status aerial I knocked off driving into a somewhat overgrown CL. Tend to crawl rather than walk as it's a long way down and this also spreads my not inconsiderable weight.

Most motorhomes have a reinforced area where the roof rack is located David but this may not apply to your particular van so best to check first. As Chas mentioned, it,s not advisable to put your weight on the roof and a simple wash with a brush and "wash and wax" should be enough to keep it clean. On a previous Autostratus we owned you could simply press down and feel where the reinforced area ended, but as I said this might not be the case with the Nuevo. Howard.

Agreed.  Talk to Auto Sleepers, they're the only ones who will know. 

I can safely walk on our Burstner roof, except on the fibreglass overcab moulding, it says so and I have done so.  No flexing apparent.  However, the Burstner roof has ply skins top and bottom, and not all roofs are made the same way.

Thanks for the responses. I will err on the safe side and use a 'wash and wax' approach with a long handled brush. I did think of asking Auto-Sleepers, but in this litigious environment with Health & Safety, I expected them to be careful about offerring advice. However, I will try them and post the response.

As promised the response from Auto-Sleepers. Question to Auto-Sleepers I have just purchased a 2005 Nuevo ES. We are very pleased with the layout and finish. We now want to give it a good clean and polish. Is it safe (ignoring the issue of falling off) to crawl or walk on the roof to clean and polish it? Would the roof support a 12.5 stone person? Reply from Auto-Sleepers It is safe to walk/crawl on the roof but please avoid raised platforms and Luton area.

Archived