Tow bar bike rack for Auto Trail Tracker RB

kevandali

Hi Everyone, Not been on here for a while but no doubt all you mature, wiley, very knowledgeable and extremely helpful motorhomers are still knocking about. (I always thing flattery helps a lot) (lol)

We are thinking of getting a Autotrail Tracker RB, photo enclosed.
It has no ladder or roof rack or a bike rack but it does have a tow bar.
We are thinking of not storing stuff on the roof as it is a low profile and seems daft to add to the wind resistance unless we have to.

I am thinking of some sort of bike rack similar to the sort that could carry a moped but instead, we would fasten our kayak to it as well as two bikes, when we are away and don't need the bikes and kayak we can just leave them at home.
The idea is to try and not obstruct the rear view window if poss.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kev and Ali (not got it yet but the other half has already worked out where everything would go?

Auto-trail.thumb.jpg.05f008796463dd7c022b8d31852d65a0.jpg

I would carefully check the available payload before you go any further. There is a long back axle overhang so any load on the tow bar will considerably increase the load on the back axle by something like one and a half times.

It could also make the steering very light if there is not a lot of weight in the habitation area.

The tow bar was probably fitted by a previous owner because of these problems. You may need to get a small trailer

Hi Kev and Ali I have a 2011 autotrail cherokee and I had a PWS towbar fitted when I bought it that was before type approval came in. In order to bring my PWS tow bar in line with type approval I have purchased from PWS a pair of strengthening plates that fit at the point where the vehicle chassis ends and the chassis extension starts these brackets will considerably strengthener the joint at the above point.(they can be seen just behind the rear wheels near to the rear spring hanger if you look under the side skirt) PWS charged me £60 delivered and are simple to fit. The photograph you posted doesn't show the reg but the vehicle appears to have LED rear lights so will be a more recent model. Perhaps one question you should ask is doe's it have a type approved tow bar fitted. If not check what Autotrail recommends. I thought it money well spent to ensure I don't do any damage to the chassis ect.

Archived