hook up

festival pig

The hook up on Swift Suntor millenium doesnt appear to work . I think this would be regarded as unusual .The cable looks a bit battered but no scars or tears .All other electric is working ok .I cant

work it out .The hook up supply is only 6 amp is this the reason

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, festival pig.

This link offers guidance on electric hook ups

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/power/electricity-for-campers-and-caravanners/

The first check to make is to confirm whether there are any signs of electrical life at your motorhome’s 230V consumer unit by testing the operation of the unit’s RCD (see “Connecting up” section in link).

If the consumer unit is ‘dead’, check that the 230V hook-up point itself is ‘live’. This may not be simple to establish at a campsite, though should be easy enough if the motorhome is connected to a domestic 230V power outlet. (I carry an adapter that can be plugged into a campsite hook-up point to confirm whether or not the point it is functional.)

If the hook-up point is live, check that 230V power is present at the motorhome end of the hook-up cable. A multiimeter would normally be used to carry out this check, but there are other (less safe) ways. (The hook-up on my recently-acquired first motorhome suddenly stopped working while in France due to a wire becoming disconnected in the hook-up cable’s plug that connects to the motorhome.) If you can borrow a hook-up cable (known to be in working order) and hooking up your motorhome using that cable restores its electrics (You haven’t said whether its 230V electrics used to work on hook-up and now do not, or have never worked) you’ll know that your hook-up cable is faulty.

The hook-up supply being only 6A should not prevent the 230V electrics in your motorhome from functioning. If you were to run high-demand 230V electrical equipment in your motorhome - a 13A fan-heater at full output for example - you would overload and trip the 6A hook-up point, but I’m sure you are aware of that possibility.

Archived