Buying first motorhome

Bennyy

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying my first motorhome for just me the wife and medium dog. Can people in the know give me impartial opinions to which are decent vans. Coachbuilt, compact good quality. It would be mainly for weekends but once a year I'd like to take it abroad for 7-10 days.

Benny

I think you have left the question too open, there are loads of vans suitable for your use, take my van, I wouldn't take the dogs with us in it, but MelB has two (or is it three) in the same van and last I heard was very happy with it.

You might get a better response if you inserted a Subject Title.

You can do this by using the "edit feature" - I think !!!

(Would need to have been done within 30 minutes of when the original post was made. I can do it though and have. DU)

Guest pelmetman
Bennyy - 2016-07-13 10:29 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying my first motorhome for just me the wife and medium dog. Can people in the know give me impartial opinions to which are decent vans. Coachbuilt, compact good quality. It would be mainly for weekends but once a year I'd like to take it abroad for 7-10 days.

Benny

My advice would be buy the first one that seems to float your boat, is in good condition and is not at the top of your budget, as you will no doubt change your mind as to what you think you like, once you tried it for real ;-) ..........

The OAL website has good basic guidance for buying a motorhome so have a read. See the first thread by Duncan MMM.

You need to think about what you can't have- too long, too short, too heavy etc as well as what you want. An indication of any restrictions you have and budget would help us.

Our motorhome is a 6m long Hymer Aclass and big enough for 3 weeks away at a time - two of us, no dog. I doubt it will be comfortable enough for several months touring the Continent. I reckon up to 6.5m long would meet your needs because that's what the two of us had when we took the dog with us. It was fine for short and long trips. Find yourself a decent dealer unless buying privately.

Hi Bennyy

Have just bought our first motorhome. It is a 2 berth 2009 Autocruise Starburst. Looked at loads to be fair but this one seemed just right. Same as you it is just my wife, me and Ronnie the Westie. Dont know what you can afford? But to start with look for something that is low mileage and has a decent sized washroom. Hope this helps. If i can be of any more help please get in touch. Phil

Archived