Right-angled 240v female plug needed

fmh22

I think you want one of these

Sorry I cannot attach the full description of the plug but if you go into LUDOSPACE.COM you will find what you want, they are pretty quick in sending items out.

FURNISHINGS, ACCESSORIES, CAMPING EQUIPMENT CAR, CARAVAN - LUDOSPACE.COM

Search Your Cart Continue Shopping

All items > ELECTRICITY > CE 230V CONNECTION

SHUKO ADAPTER MALE / FEMALE 1.5M EEC 3x1.5²

(Code: 82025)

Send to a friend

Add to Favourites

€ 12.99

ADD TO BASKET

SHUKO ADAPTER MALE / FEMALE 1.5M 3x1.5² EEC

- Schuko adapter cable Male / Female EEC

- Cable 1.5 m long.

- H07 RN-F 3 x 1.5 mm²

ADAPTATEUR-SHUKO-MALECEE-FEMELLE-1-5M-3x1-5--82025_1.jpg.28fe99d4fb7bec9f22f01b9e45b27fd4.jpg

Hi fmh & welcome to the forum

I would advise a trip to your nearest Electrical Wholesalers, they will have a selection for you to look at.

But you want a "Socket" (female) the "Plug" is male

There is a good variety available as they are Industrial standard fittings.

Or Screwfix for example http://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-surface-socket-32a-2p-e-250v-6h-ip44/9990f

Thanks but have tried most places (Maplin, CEF, Screwfix, Google) without success. We were in Italy recently and met a British couple with a German Motorhome that came with a hook-up cable with exactly what I want - a connection socket where the cable entry to the socket is vertical from the ground up so the cable drops directly down instead of sticking out horizontally from the van.

I guess my next move is to try to find a German motorhome dealer in my travels and see if they have an accessory shop.

fmh22 - 2016-07-14 5:50 PM

Anyone know where I can obtain a right-angled plug to connect 240v lead into motorhome. The standard plugs stick out and OH keeps banging her head on it.

Hi..

I briefly looked around for the same thing several years back...and as I didn't end up getting one, I can only assume none came readily to hand.....

The one uncertainty that I had about an angled plug , was that the 90 degree 110v(yellow) plugs that I'd used in the past had been quite short, which was fine for surface mounted outlets but unless any angled "blue" plug had been specially designed with more recessed caravan/motorhome outlets in mind, there would be the chance that it may not clear the housing/van wall?..

So if you do find any, worth checking that with the seller first ...?

To avoid confusion, the fitting on the MH is a plug, with three brass pins poking out, even though the housing is attached to the MH, and the connection on the MH end of the EHU cable is a socket, which is why it has a lid on it, to cover the holes down which the potentially live connectors are.

Having a downward-facing MH skin fitting (i.e. the plug) would risk collision damage as you are traveling unless it was on the rear of the vehicle.  You could however fit one of those inside an external locker for use on site and quite a lot of caravans have that arrangement.

Otherwise keep looking for the German connector you saw - and in the meantime buy the OH a hard hat!

StuartO - 2016-07-15 8:42 AM

To avoid confusion, the fitting on the MH is a plug, with three brass pins poking out, even though the housing is attached to the MH, and the connection on the MH end of the EHU cable is a socket,..

Yes, excuse my clumsy (as in "wrong" (lol) ) terminology.. :$

This was discussed in 2012 (NB. Some of the links will be out of date)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Hook-up-Adaptor-Right-angled-CEE/27780/

Two right-angled hook-up connectors (J162 with a Schuko socket: J161 without) are shown on this UK webpage

http://www.semlohelectrics.co.uk/documents/Electrical/4%20-%20Mains%20Plugs%20&%20Couplers.pdf

I can’t find any UK-based on-line retailer currently advertising these things, but there are contact details at the foot of the Semloh Electrics webpage and the company should be able to advise about retailers who would be able to order a connector.

Francis

Why not ask a standard German M/H dealer or manufacturer ?

You have the 'translate' system on Google which is so easy to use. I achieve all my needs using it and if they reply in their own language its easy to revert to English.

Right-angled 240v female plug = erforderlich Rechtwinklige 240v Buchsenstecker benötigt

There you are the job's half done already !

Will

Will86 - 2016-07-15 10:54 AMFrancisWhy not ask a standard German M/H dealer or manufacturer ?You have the 'translate' system on Google which is so easy to use. I achieve all my needs using it and if they reply in their own language its easy to revert to English.Right-angled 240v female plug = erforderlich Rechtwinklige 240v Buchsenstecker benötigtThere you are the job's half done already !Will

Google Translate has its limitation for technical stuff and it's worth double checking the German, to see if it's likely to make sense to a German.

If you feed "erforderlich Rechtwinklige 240v Buchsenstecker benötigtit" back into Google to translate back into English it becomes "rectangular required 240v socket connector required", so somewhere along the line the meaning seems to have been lost - and the job isn't really half done at all!

also use the IEC 60309-16 rather than "Schuko" Schuko is a common name for a type F plug and you would end up with a euro 2 pin and earth. note the -16 is important if you get the -32 then it will be incompatible (unless you have up-rated the male end in the motorhome)

Barney123 - 2016-07-14 7:55 PM

I think you want one of these

Sorry I cannot attach the full description of the plug but if you go into LUDOSPACE.COM you will find what you want, they are pretty quick in sending items out.

FURNISHINGS, ACCESSORIES, CAMPING EQUIPMENT CAR, CARAVAN - LUDOSPACE.COM

Search Your Cart Continue Shopping

All items > ELECTRICITY > CE 230V CONNECTION

(Code: 82025)

Send to a friend

Add to Favourites

€ 12.99

ADD TO BASKET

SHUKO ADAPTER MALE / FEMALE 1.5M 3x1.5² EEC

- Schuko adapter cable Male / Female EEC

- Cable 1.5 m long.

- H07 RN-F 3 x 1.5 mm²

well this one (same as the Chinese one in my post?) seems to be the one to use provided you check plug depth as pepe says, just buy one remove lead supplied and put it in place of one on your hook up.

http://www.ludospace.com/adaptateur-shuko-male-cee-femelle-15m-3x25-c2x20188512

If you look at the WEB Site which I posted earlier you will find all manner of plugs/sockets at a reasonable price, and I dont know what you are all on about translations to other POSSIBLE sellers etc as the site can be translated into English. Someone said about only being 2 pin sockets, they are 3, 2 in the middle and the outside is the earth.

Barney I mentioned the 2 pin and earth in relation to the schuko description, you will also see as a descriptive the phrase P+N +E and 3P +N+E relating to single phase (blue) and 3 phase (red) respectively

The blue P+N+E, 6h (180°) plug is a single phase connector. In particular the smallest (16 A) variant has become especially common in camping vehicles and sockets found in caravan parks and marinas throughout Europe. The so-called 'Caravan Mains Socket' has almost universally replaced a wide variety of other national 230 V domestic plugs since it is pan-European and inherently safe to standard IP44. On larger temporary buildings, particularly with electric heating the larger 32 A is more common.

Not all installations distinguish the live (phase) and neutral conductors, and reverse wired sockets are quite common, so double pole breaking RCDs and main switches are recommended. When sockets are mounted looking downwards then the connector system is rated for outdoor use in all weather. This is also the standard connector for lighting equipment (up to 16 A) used in the British film and television industry (often as outlets from a power splitter with a higher rated 3 phase input).

It's a pity these connectors are only available with Shucko sockets rather than the UK type because they provide a potentially very convenient external socket. Easy enough, I suppose, to use a short length of cable with a Shucko plug and a trailing UK socket.  Much less cumbersome than using a triple connector because they won't fit directly into the MH's plug fitting.

Silly me, you could of course use a simple holiday-abroad socket converter!

Archived