DIY Battery Box

kimba

Hello I have posted on the forum about what battery's to buy for my boat, and today I received my new battery's, so part two I want to build my own battery box.

My questions are:

Do I need to vent the box and advise?

Is ply wood OK to use? ( Bbbb Grade High Quality Plywood)

Do I need a large area of space after the battery's are installed? or lesser volume to prevent gas build up?.

Anything I need to know?

The battery's will be on the back of my boat, this area is a canopy and separate from the living area of the boat, under the canopy there is not much air flow, there is a diesel engine and diesel tank in this zone as well.

The battery's are Varta LFD140

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/leisure/professional-dual-purpose/930-140-080

Thanks in advance.

You need to clarify the exact installation position -

Will they actually be below decks, along with the fuel and engine or in the cockpit under cover?

If they are below decks then a bilge blower should be installed, if not currently present.

Ply will be fine for construction of the box, and perhaps a good coat of Flo-coat or decent bilge paint inside would be advisable.

I drop vent/limber hole would only be of use if installed above deck - if below you could be introducing heavier gasses into the bilge, which is not desirable. Unless you have a blower.

If you have room to 'oversize' the box that will help, but it is critical that the batteries are well secured within.

TBH, I didn't go to the link to see whether these batteries are sealed, agm, gel or whatever which could negate the need to vent- but the above would be considered good practice.

Archived