Ferry Good Deal ????

mover

Hi all Ive just booked a ferry to France ,Out 5th december 12-15 back May 2- 07 -10 -00 am Sea France Dover -Calais £62 53 total for a seven metre Hymer on the internet.. Direct Ferries .co.uk beats Norfolk Line which we usually use .Yes thats all for a return trip. *-) *-)

Thats a good price but how much extra if you need to amend sailing dates as we had to this year with Norfolk Line? One website last year quoted £25 amendment fee! Just received the December CC magazine and Norfolk Lines have an advert listing their 2007 prices - a rather strange structure prices eg £100 dearer weekday afternoons and cheap at weekends especially early morning sailings. Typical prices (taking off the £20 discount for motorhomes from car plus caravan prices listed) are cheapest low season: £29 each way at night and £49 each way in afternoons and it definitely states no amendment fees if changing to same price band that's all presumably booking through the Caravan Club. so it looks like we'll have do do some serious research and planning soon Steve

Hi Steve your right there is a charge of £25 pounds if you change details but I have never gone down the road of officialdom,in the past if we have wanted to come home later or earlier we always just turn up at the ferry terminal and present our booking reference and have always been put on the next available ferry and so far have NEVER been charged any extra,if you start geting involved with the computer wallers in the offices your dead.we've done this with the Tunnel and Norfolk Line and Brittany Ferries and as I say we've not paid extra once.Lets hope it continues and whats the worst senario, well you just have to pay or swim. Regard s Malc. *-) *-)

Having done much the same thing with Seafrance last year, I had the same thought and phoned them up to ask about the possibility of changing return travel dates.

Thay said it would not be a problem, providing:

a) I gave them 24 hours or so notice of my revised travel requirement,

b) The new crossing was at the same price tarrif as the original, and,

c) That the revised date was earlier, and not later, than the originally booked return date.  (It seemed this especially applied to provision of notice.  I gained the impression that even if the actual return date was to be later than booked, provided they were told of this change before the booked date had passed, they would fit us in if possible.)

Naturally, all the above would be subject to availablitiy of space, and I might have to accept a night crossing if daytime space was not available. 

In the event, we did decide to come home about a week early.  We therefore turned up in Calais the day before we wanted to return, went to the Seafrance office (Portacabin!), met a very helpful young lady, she said no problem and booked us onto the same time crossing as we'd originally booked, for the following day.  No extras, no surchage, no admin fee.

However, do ring them to check before assuming this is a universal truth!

I think SeaFrance will just charge the difference (if its a different price schedule) if you turn up for a dfiferent sailing. The clubs don't seem to be able to beat the low season deals you can get direct from the ferries these days - we paid £58 for our November reurn crossing with SeaFrance - booked direct. :-D

UH OH I see on the news today that Sea France crews are playing up ,I wonder if we will be stuck at Dover for a while next week when we are due to sail with them .Oh well if we are we are, its comfortable in our van where ever we are *-) *-)

Archived