English Sport leads the way

rupert123

What a day for us armchair sport enthusiasts. Lewis Hamilton leading the F! championship, Chris Froome and his team of galactico's winning the Tour de France, England hammering Pakistan at cricket, not a Scot in sight although one of Froomes teammates is Welsh.

rupert123 - 2016-07-24 10:12 PM

What a day for us armchair sport enthusiasts. Lewis Hamilton leading the F! championship, Chris Froome and his team of galactico's winning the Tour de France, England hammering Pakistan at cricket, not a Scot in sight although one of Froomes teammates is Welsh.

Don't like Hamilton , he's the biggest sulk in sport and F1 is depressing these days ... Froome is a Kenyan ... You forgot to mention Englands football heroes ;-)

antony1969 - 2016-07-25 6:35 AM

Don't like Hamilton , he's the biggest sulk in sport and F1 is depressing these days ... Froome is a Kenyan ... You forgot to mention Englands football heroes ;-)

Who cares he can sulk all he likes he is a winner. As for Froome you obviously have not read his auto biography, his mother and father are English, where he was born matters little these days. Where does football come in, I said what a day not what a month. I forgot to mention Ben Anslie winning the Americas Cup qualifying round

rupert123 - 2016-07-25 10:32 AM

Who cares he can sulk all he likes he is a winner. As for Froome you obviously have not read his auto biography, his mother and father are English, where he was born matters little these days. Where does football come in, I said what a day not what a month. What a joyless bloke you must be, one of the glass always half empty brigade I guess. I forgot to mention Ben Anslie winning the Americas Cup qualifying round

I had put a little smiley type thing at the end of my post , obviously you'd missed it ... Sorry no I haven't read his autobiography , I have little interest in a sport you can't believe so wouldn't really care about reading the life story of one if it's participants ... If it makes you feel better I'll agree with you and say it was a great day for English sport ... Phil Taylor lost the darts by the way

antony1969 - 2016-07-25 10:52 AM

rupert123 - 2016-07-25 10:32 AM

Who cares he can sulk all he likes he is a winner. As for Froome you obviously have not read his auto biography, his mother and father are English, where he was born matters little these days. Where does football come in, I said what a day not what a month. I forgot to mention Ben Anslie winning the Americas Cup qualifying round

I had put a little smiley type thing at the end of my post , obviously you'd missed it ... Sorry no I haven't read his autobiography , I have little interest in a sport you can't believe so wouldn't really care about reading the life story of one if it's participants ... If it makes you feel better I'll agree with you and say it was a great day for English sport ... Phil Taylor lost the darts by the way

Sorry I did miss that. Phil Taylor darts, is that a sport, always thought it was a pub game.. :$

malc d - 2016-07-25 12:20 PM

Have gone right off F1 these days.

It's just become a TV programme about tyres.

;-)

What's that Malc?...you mean you are not entertained or stimulated by the endless slow-mo', close up shots of tyres "degrading" or by Coultard's endless prattling on about who is/isn't on soft/super soft or intermediate tyres and the number of lapse they may've done on them?..(lol)

...I watched bits of the GP for the first time in ages..and I think I saw someone actually being overtaken? ..although it may have been the "Battle for 10th" (other "battles" were probably available). (lol)

pepe63 - 2016-07-25 1:39 PM
malc d - 2016-07-25 12:20 PMHave gone right off F1 these days.It's just become a TV programme about tyres. ;-)
What's that Malc?...you mean you are not entertained or stimulated by the endless slow-mo', close up shots of tyres "degrading" or by Coultard's endless prattling on about who is/isn't on soft/super soft or intermediate tyres and the number of lapse they may've done on them?..(lol) ...I watched bits of the GP for the first time in ages..and I think I saw someone actually being overtaken? ..although it may have been the "Battle for 10th" (other "battles" were probably available). (lol)

So? - it's rather like reading Chatterbox then? 

Tee Hee!

Guest pelmetman
laimeduck - 2016-07-25 5:38 PM
pepe63 - 2016-07-25 1:39 PM
malc d - 2016-07-25 12:20 PMHave gone right off F1 these days.It's just become a TV programme about tyres. ;-)
What's that Malc?...you mean you are not entertained or stimulated by the endless slow-mo', close up shots of tyres "degrading" or by Coultard's endless prattling on about who is/isn't on soft/super soft or intermediate tyres and the number of lapse they may've done on them?..(lol) ...I watched bits of the GP for the first time in ages..and I think I saw someone actually being overtaken? ..although it may have been the "Battle for 10th" (other "battles" were probably available). (lol)

So? - it's rather like reading Chatterbox then? 

Tee Hee!
Chatterbox like F1....... have been neutered by the gods on health & safety grounds Jeremy :D ...........

F1 gets some new rules next year and the tyre thing will hopefully get sorted as well.I am an unashamed motorsport fan so I watch F1 even at crazy times during the early hours. There are a number of issues they need to sort the least of which is a more equitable distribution of funds amongst the teams - more cash generally means better performance. However I suspect that and a number of the other issues will not be sorted until Bernie E moves to a new address. He probably should take Jean Todd with him. The Hungarian race except for the first corner on lap 1 was dead boring. The boys on Sky F1 did their best to spice it up but it was an average race. All sport needs characters and Hamilton fits that mould besides being an excellent driver. He certainly has NR's measure. Germany provides next weeks fix. I am pleased your people are winning, it makes for a nice change as it is not right for us to constantly be leading the way!!

Geeco - 2016-07-26 8:18 AM

F1 gets some new rules next year and the tyre thing will hopefully get sorted as well.I am an unashamed motorsport fan so I watch F1 even at crazy times during the early hours. There are a number of issues they need to sort the least of which is a more equitable distribution of funds amongst the teams - more cash generally means better performance. However I suspect that and a number of the other issues will not be sorted until Bernie E moves to a new address. He probably should take Jean Todd with him. The Hungarian race except for the first corner on lap 1 was dead boring. The boys on Sky F1 did their best to spice it up but it was an average race. All sport needs characters and Hamilton fits that mould besides being an excellent driver. He certainly has NR's measure. Germany provides next weeks fix. I am pleased your people are winning, it makes for a nice change as it is not right for us to constantly be leading the way!!

Agree with most of that except the last bit. When did you lead the way, we just whitewashed you at rugby and the last ashes. (lol)

F1 gets some new rules next year and the tyre thing will hopefully get sorted as well.I am an unashamed motorsport fan so I watch F1 even at crazy times during the early hours.

It's a unique sport really.

They spend a couple of days working out who is fastest - and then give them a head start on race day.

Applied to athletics, Usain Bolt would start 10 yards in front of everyone else.

I'm sure it would be more interesting if they just drew lots for position - but then I suppose they couldn't rake in so much cash from fans on the two days before the race.

;-)

malc d - 2016-07-26 9:06 AM

F1 gets some new rules next year and the tyre thing will hopefully get sorted as well.I am an unashamed motorsport fan so I watch F1 even at crazy times during the early hours.

They spend a couple of days working out who is fastest - and then give them a head start on race day.

Applied to athletics, Usain Bolt would start 10 yards in front of everyone else.

I'm sure it would be more interesting if they just drew lots for position - but then I suppose they couldn't rake in so much cash from fans on the two days before the race.

;-)

An improvement to long distance/marathon running would be to shoot the last person at each mile post!

malc d - 2016-07-26 9:06 AM

;-)

How about racing for position, then the fastest goes last and so on?? After all in theory the fastest should still come first??

We are also FI nuts! record all races, and when away in van , we have to watch it in German

PJay

Forgot to say , hope Jenson Button gets one more chance of a good car, if he doesn't quit !

PJay - 2016-07-26 1:16 PM

How about racing for position, then the fastest goes last and so on??

After all in theory the fastest should still come first??

!

I think I may have spotted a flaw in your idea.

No- one would go fast.

;-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pelmetman
soarer - 2016-08-04 5:09 PM

i miss the noise of the v12s

I suspect some on here remember the noise of the V 1's 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2016-08-04 5:20 PM

soarer - 2016-08-04 5:09 PM

i miss the noise of the v12s

I suspect some on here remember the noise of the V 1's 8-) ..........

.... and the V2's

They were much nastier ( you didn't hear 'em until after they arrived ).

;-)

Archiesgrandad - 2016-08-05 3:44 AMif you really want an exhaust note to remember , try the H16 BRM.AGD

I have a CD called "into the red" that from memory was with a book about racing cars by Nick Mason the drummer with Pink Floyd. It has a selection of 18 various car sounds. My absolute favourite is an incar recording of a Mk 2 V16 BRM doing two laps of Donnington - nothing short of awesome. I am only able to play the track when the codriver goes out shopping as the whole house shakes (well almost) as this monster hits " full noise" down the front straight. It puts a smile on my face just thinking about it! Oh great the codriver is about to go shopping!

• 3 weeks later...
After my tongue in cheek comment about Australia leading the way in sport and Rupert123 suitable reply I thought it only fitting to offer my congrats for the Brit efforts in Rio. I am amazed at the amount of money we spend as a nation on supporting our athletes some A$360 million over 4 years and we performed well below expectations. No doubt there will be lots of blame games and head scratching from all concerned.  For my part I reckon the Olympics has reached it's use by date and I would rather see the dollars spent on other more community based areas like improved health care for the needy etc. cheers,

Geeco - 2016-08-23 4:33 AM

For my part I reckon the Olympics has reached it's use by date and I would rather see the dollars spent on other more community based areas like improved health care for the needy etc. cheers,

I quite enjoyed watching some of the Olympics but I think you may have a good point there - it's all going a bit over the top.

As well as giving all our athletes all the money they need to fulfill their ambitions, it seems they are now likely to get " honours " as well.

I think honours should only be awarded for service to the country above and beyond the call of duty - like Samantha Camerons hairdresser.

;-)

Archived