Winter travels

lunartraveller

Hi we are leaving for Spain next week and will drain all water systems in the house also all tanks and off course turn the main supply off.One year 1999 we did not do this but left the central heating on low on the timer , and had a freeze up at the inlet valve of the main cold tank ,luckly my son called in and saw the overflow running and was able to sort it before any damage was done so now we drain everything .We have just insured our home with the Camping and Caravan club and they are now giving 180 days unoccupancy at NO extra charge.I only wish their vehicle breakdown recovery was as long as its only for 90 days RAC Recovery [ Arrival scheme ] and cant be extended. I have written to them on this and they say they they will be disgussing this at their December meetings so maybee things might change..Meantime we are with Comfort who give European cover for the duration of our travells although not as comprehensive as the C C Club with the exception of days away .Sorry to wander of topic slightly but thought this relevant Regards Malc. *-) *-)

Hi, I believe Nationwide don't appear to have any limit on the time you are away, but like 2 or 3 other companies i checked, part of this is conditional on having someone check your house on a weekly/fortnightly basis, so I would just double check the C&CC conditions, also to avoid any damage from frost condensation etc you should really look at some form of temperature control and as i said in an earlier post some insurance companies will require this as a condition of the insurance but in a lot of cases this is not to obvious in the literature Hope this helps, I always think its always worth double checking

Archived