Awnings

Pete-B

Hi, We're thinking of getting a drive-away awning for our Bessie 462. There seems to be various ones to choose from, the Vango ones seem to be popular but even in these there seem to be numerous model choices which leaves me a bit perplexed.

I would appreciate any advice on these and what model would suit us pair of old codgers! We don't need inner bedrooms or anything else just the basic awning.

Thanks for any help.

Hi

I will be the first to ask, do you really need one, are you intending to stay in one place for a while, as like me you put it up once and never do it again... It can be a hassle, putting it up and transporting it. But if sure others may give you advice soon.

If however, just to sit out and have meals in, look at Lillypad windblockers, very light and easy to put up.

Caddies104 - 2016-07-30 7:53 AM

Hi

I will be the first to ask, do you really need one, are you intending to stay in one place for a while, as like me you put it up once and never do it again... It can be a hassle, putting it up and transporting it. But if sure others may give you advice soon.

Without seeming to be negative I would ask the same question. However, we have used awnings quite a bit, our latest (Isabella Ventura Freestander) is a traditional, good quality, framed canvas awning that we often use if on site a while and is particularly useful when overwintering in Spain - but only if we are on site for a while. This one is going up for sale and we are going to buy a Quest Screenhouse which will better suit our purposes and is lighter, easier to put up.

That said we have used our tool put quite a bit with the windblocker sides fir a more temporary solution, especially in hot sunny weather like last week. Also had a lightweight porch awning (Sunncamp) that slides into the groove on the front of the fiamma rollout and gives adequate shelter from the elements but commits you to be stationary and is not brilliant in high winds.

In short, we have found various types/solutions can be useful in various circumstances but most driveaway awnings need to be quite stable as they are being left on their own and susceptible then to the weather. This usually means quite a bit if work but if it suits your needs then check them out. A friend also had a full caravan awning rail fitted last year and has a proper caravan awning when on site for a long time. It's very much horses for courses.

David

We decided that a awning on the side of the motorhome was not for us and opted for a small free standing tent. For ease of erecting it we went for a air tent.We managed to put it up in 10 minutes. It does everything a awning does and can just drive of for a day out with no hassle, we also find it useful to dry wet coats. We also sit in the pouch section when it is windy.

Hi Again,

Been doing some thinking, our situation is this, we tend to stay on carefully selected sites in the IK for at least a week and sometimes up to 10 days. We like walking the local area particularly if there is hill walking, so spend 2 or 3 days at that. We take the bikes with us so spend time cycling, cycle paths and country lanes etc. The duchess likes to spend at least a day in a local town or city (courtesy the old bus passes). So once I've parked up the van it generally stays there until we leave.

So if we got a drive-away it wouldn't be used for that as such but more for eating in on a warm evening, somewhere to hang wet clothes extra space and, also to leave the bikes in overnight! I tow a 5ft X 4ft camping trailer with hardtop, the bikes ride on top of that and should have enough room left inside to carry awning/tent.

It seems something like the Vango awnings slot into the closed van awning and can (we're told, be erected in 10 mins) and would seem to cost about the same price as a similar size air tent

So, am I still thinking wrong and just going to waste money or would my plan work? I wouldn't do anything until we go to the NEC show in October to see what is available and prices etc but would still appreciate your thoughts..

• 3 weeks later...
Agreed with most the replies here, we have two of them and very very rarely now can I be bothered to set it all up.
The Awning i fully recommend, its the privacy room or drive away tent bit that is not worth it.
I almost bought an inflatable one the other day, thinking well that will be easier to put up so will get used more.
Not a chance, the awning we use but nope no use for a privacy room. Too much hassle and we tend to travel a lot so 2 - 3 days max in one site.

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2016-07-30 10:02 PM

Lots on eBay "use only once".

Just got a replacement off ebay for our Sun Camp drive away, which was starting to look rather tired after several winters in Spain........It's one of them posh Ventura ones by Isabella....188 quid....as opposed to 700 :D ......

Think I might buy another as a spare B-).......

Billggski - 2016-07-30 10:02 PM

Lots on eBay "use only once".

My drive-away will be on fleabay soon as well. Pain to put up, no awning rail on van so have a magnetic strip, and throw over tapes. Cuts out the views from that side of van - her indoors hates it! Needs drying out before packing away or airing at home.

Gonna just get a wind-out.

Nigel

We bought a nylon porch awning (only £75) which we used quite a few times when we were using the MH in UK and staying in one place for several days in dodgy weather.  It certainly reduces the cloustrophobia when you're stuck in the MH on rainy days because you can leave the door open.  Handy for storing the wellies and umbrella too.

Fitting it to the groove in the Omnistor was easy enough but pegging the bloomin' thing out was a pain, especially in rain of course.  For the past three years it's stayed in the locker but at least it doesn't take much room up in there and it doesn't weigh much.

We have a Lilliput wind blocker and side piece too but that's had even less use.  Our first MH came with an awning which the seller (charminly) referred to as the "Safari Park".  We put that up once on the drive to see how it worked but never again.

We've even wondered whether our Omnistor is worth the weight hanging up there because you can't always get the sun in the right place but it has been handy as a quicker alternative to the porch awning when it rains.

The value of any of these gadgets depends on how you use your MH.

We use Windblocker, on the rare occasions they are required to keep out the wind. Normally a single side is used. It is quick to put up and takes little space in the garage. Otherwise the wind awning is used to keep sun and rain out. The value of a larger tent/structure can be judged by the large number of advertisements stating "only used once" in MMM. I can see the value if one does not leave these shores, perhaps there will be more vans staying in UK with Brexit!

Archived