removing decals

alelym

Whats the best way to remove all faded decals from my swift sundance, as normal the grey ones have faded.

I expect the adhesive leaves a residue whats the best way of removing it without damaging the body work?

Allen

To get sign writing off a van you use boiling water and peel them off, then use cellulose thinners to remove the glue. Don't know what it would do to a coach built van though so test a patch first. It will certainly need a T-cut and polish after.

Hairdryer to soften the decal and adhesive.........do NOT use cellulose thinners as there's too much of a chance it will attack the lacquer/paint.  A good product is aerosol brake cleaner or petrol as both soften and will make adhesive easier to remove.  Another thing to try is WD40....these last three will help adhesive removal without attacking lacquer or paint.

I've used a hairdryer on cars in the past, definitely works. Then some of that "Sticky stuff remover" from Betterware or similar.

But as mentioned above, it'll definitely need a TCUT as the paint will have probably faded and the paint under the sticker won't have :)

I would just try and peel them off with a little heat.

The best way to remove all the glue/gum residue would be to use Autoglyms Tar remover, i used it when removing signwriting from my van and tried all sorts to get rid of that gum.

Make sure you follow the instructions, and i promise you will be impressed with how easily it comes off.

Al

fjmike - 2016-08-10 6:33 PMPlease DON'T use T cut on your van, it contains lots of nasties the won't do the surface of your van any good.

Mike - Thanks .....but ...well that's why I asked the question! 

I had heard that T-cut had some serious drawbacks. What should I use then? Someone else suggested an Autoglym product? What would you recommend?

laimeduck - 2016-08-10 7:03 PM
fjmike - 2016-08-10 6:33 PMPlease DON'T use T cut on your van, it contains lots of nasties the won't do the surface of your van any good.

Mike - Thanks .....but ...well that's why I asked the question! 

I had heard that T-cut had some serious drawbacks. What should I use then? Someone else suggested an Autoglym product? What would you recommend?
Autoglym single resin polish is what you want, it's mild cutting should suit but still take care with edges etc.

Archived