Profile details

Randonneur

I asked this a couple of years ago. Please when anyone asks a question can they make sure that their profile is completed as it makes it much easier to reply when we already know what make/model/year of van people have and where they are based, doesn't have to be a Town but maybe a County. This will make for quicker replies to questions especially if urgent.

Thanks.

In 2007 I suggested using the “Location” field in a forum-member’s Profile to provide brief identification details of the member’s motorhome, with the “Interests” field being employed additionally if it were wished to offer more information about the vehicle

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/WHAT-ARE-THE-VEHICLE-DETAILS-/8118/

and I’ve occasionally referred to the idea since

I note that, when you brought the matter up in 2011, it did not receive universal acclaim (though the thread is an educational read and entertaining for aficionados of drivel ;-) )

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/NEW-TO-THE-FORUM-PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE/24241/

The difficulty is, of course, that using the Profile’s “Location” and “Interests” fields to carry motorhome-related details is a ‘fudge' and not what the fields were originally intended for.

People register on the Out&AboutLive motorhome-related forums, logon and post. And, as there’s nothing in the registration process to recommend that a new forum-member provides details of his/her vehicle when asking a question about it, nor any guidance that Profile fields can usefully be used to carry that type of data, there’s a good chance that motorhome-identification details that would assist answering the inquiry are omitted.

I (apparently) have the forum permissions needed to ‘sticky’ and ‘freeze’ a thread, so I can probably ‘stick’ an advisory thread about using the Profile for motorhome identification towards the top of the Motorhome Matters current page. This might not be effective where new forum-members are concerned, but it might encourage longer-standing members to provide motorhome details.

As will be seen from my first link above, a “What are the vehicle details?” thread was ’stuck’ to this forum years ago, but it disappeared sometime between 2007 and now. But I’m not going to start ‘sticking’ and ‘freezing’ threads as it’s not in my remit as an lowly admin assistant.

I agree, it makes sense for MH details to be added to the "Location" box in Control Panel. It makes it so much easier to be able to respond constructively to a thread.

However, despite kindly persuasion, it still seems to fall on deaf ears most of the time.

It could partially be attributed to people getting paranoid about online identity fraud. The forum holds my Real Name, County in which I reside together with details of MH. I doubt whether this information would be useful to a potential fraudster, hopefully not !!!

I must admit that when my bank phones me and asks me to answer some security questions - they receive a negative response and I ask them politely, to correspond by post :-D

Robbo - 2016-08-01 2:38 PM

I must admit that when my bank phones me and asks me to answer some security questions - they receive a negative response and I ask them politely, to correspond by post :-D

I ask them to answer MY security questions first! That fools them :)

Derek Uzzell - 2016-08-01 7:55 AM

In 2007 I suggested using the “Location” field in a forum-member’s Profile to provide brief identification details of the member’s motorhome, with the “Interests” field being employed additionally if it were wished to offer more information about the vehicle

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/WHAT-ARE-THE-VEHICLE-DETAILS-/8118/

and I’ve occasionally referred to the idea since

I note that, when you brought the matter up in 2011, it did not receive universal acclaim (though the thread is an educational read and entertaining for aficionados of drivel ;-) )

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/NEW-TO-THE-FORUM-PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE/24241/

The difficulty is, of course, that using the Profile’s “Location” and “Interests” fields to carry motorhome-related details is a ‘fudge' and not what the fields were originally intended for.

People register on the Out&AboutLive motorhome-related forums, logon and post. And, as there’s nothing in the registration process to recommend that a new forum-member provides details of his/her vehicle when asking a question about it, nor any guidance that Profile fields can usefully be used to carry that type of data, there’s a good chance that motorhome-identification details that would assist answering the inquiry are omitted.

I (apparently) have the forum permissions needed to ‘sticky’ and ‘freeze’ a thread, so I can probably ‘stick’ an advisory thread about using the Profile for motorhome identification towards the top of the Motorhome Matters current page. This might not be effective where new forum-members are concerned, but it might encourage longer-standing members to provide motorhome details.

As will be seen from my first link above, a “What are the vehicle details?” thread was ’stuck’ to this forum years ago, but it disappeared sometime between 2007 and now. But I’m not going to start ‘sticking’ and ‘freezing’ threads as it’s not in my remit as an lowly admin assistant.

Derek, are you saying that my post is drivel or yours? :-D

Archived