Compass Avantguard 140 water pump.

col havercroft

My water pump packed in last week and at present I have located it and it is hanging out of the tank. I have ordered a replacement from Amazon. The old one seems impossible to detach from the water pipe. Does anyone know if I have to cut the water pipe in order to fit the new one?

If it's like the 2008 Elddis that I had then it will be a Reich Twin (the model without the non-return valve) which has a 10mm spigot on top. Onto this was pushed a 10mm-12mm pushfit straight coupler/converter into which the semi-rigid 12mm pipe was pushed. You can either release the 10mm end of the coupler from the pump or the 12mm pipe from the coupler, both done using the normal pushfit method i.e. push both pipe and the little collar in towards the fitting then withdraw the pipe.

However it may of course be something completely different on yours.

Example of Reich Twin without NRV:

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-water-pump/reich-pumps/reich-19-litre-pump-without-non-return-valve

If your pump is still connected to the power supply, try reversing the connections to it and see if it will then work, I had a similar problem with mine and did this, and its worked ever since, you have nothing to lose if it does not. Good luck.

I would have thought that a submersible pump would be ‘polarity sensitive’ (Whale submersible pumps certainly are) and that reversing the electrical connections would also reverse the rotation direction of the pump’s impeller. If that’s correct, I can believe that reversing a submersible pump’s connections might provoke a temporarily stuck impeller to free up and run backwards, but once that had happened I’d expect the electrical connections to need to be re-reversed (ie. put back to their original state) to allow the pump to work properly.

Obviously, if a submersible pump is not ‘polarity sensitive’ and its impeller will run in the correct direction however the pump’s power-supply is wired up, or the impeller wil operate equally effectively whichever direction it rotates, then the pump’s electrical connections can be reversed and won’t need to be re-reversed.

This MHFacts thread may be helpful

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/88-generic-hints-tips/76023-how-replace-submersible-tank-water-pump.html

Submersible pumps (a selection of Reich products shown here)

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-water-pump/reich-pumps

are (as Steve touches on) available with or without an attached/integrated non-return valve. How the water pipe leading from the pump is connected to it will vary according to the motorhome converter’s whim, but the type of submersible pump that is installed in motorhome freshwater tanks will have had the water pipe connected to it during the installation process, so it OUGHT to be possible to detach the pipe from a defective pump and refit it to a replacement pump without too much trouble.

A submersible pump’s electrical power-supply cable will be permanently attached to the pump. Hopefully where Col’s pump’s cable has been connected to the motorhome’s 12V system is easily accessible so that connection of a new pump will be straightforward.

Archived