DOTITs

robin

Supplied by Osram, these are small LED lights that self adhere to most surfaces. They are a few inches diameter, have 3 pretty bright LEDs and run off 3 AAA batteries, switched on and off by pressing the whole thing. They cost a fiver from such places as B&Q. I have fitted one to illuminate a dark area in the kitchen so that we can see into the cupboards and the oven. Saves me wiring up a 12v light. I expect the batteries to last a while as LEDs are efficient and we will only use it for a few seconds at a time. I have now been asked to get one for the cyclinder cupboard at home. (lol)

There's an excellent item by John Wickersham in this month's Caravan Club Magazine which explains how you can replace those tiny 10watt halogen bulbs so beloved of converters with 21-cluster LEDs using a fraction of the power (less than a tenth of an amp rather than almost 1 amp). They are, of course, more expensive but they last for ever (and you can always put the halogen ones back before you sell!).

[QUOTE]Frank - 2006-11-30 8:18 PM [QUOTE]Way2Go - 2006-11-29 4:22 PM

Many thanks for the head's up on the article. It looks like a good read.

Robin, if you're not a CC member you can download a PDF version of it here http://tinyurl.com/y4rxx8

[/QUOTE] Thanks for the link but rather annoyingly it has not worked since I have been trying it. Anyone else got problems with it?[/QUOTE] Worked OK for me ! Try copy and pasting the URL into your browser

I swapped LEDs for Halogens in my spotlights. Having used them, I very soon swapped back!! Dim in comparison, restricted light beam and a very cold blue/white light. Having said this, I still use the car-type LED bulbs in my bathroom, and they give a good light (But still blueish!) I understand that there are more powerful and "warmer" types of LED bulbs now available, but I already spent enough on bulbs I wont use.....! *-)

Archived