I only wanted a can of oil !

Will86

How complicated can a simple can of oil become?

I called in to Halfords today and was bombarded with questions by Mr Super Salesman on what it was for, hell Mr Salesman, I only need a can of 3 in 1, which encouraged Mr Salesman to become rapidly excited with visions of an upgrade to management by suggesting 'lets go over there' ... when ... standing on a shelf right beside us were rows of 3 in 1.

Then as I was about to pounce I spotted about 6 and more varieties ... for copper, rust., alloys, and more. A sure Aladdin's cave to suit Stu and his squeaky-creaky door hinge.

To shop for a 'simple' can of oil is now as complicated as searching for a 'simple' Oxo in a supermarket.

Life does NOT get any easier for grumpy old farts like me

Will

I worked for Halfords back in the 70's/80's. They brought out 'sewing machine oil' as an own-label competitor to 3 in 1. Sales were rubbish. Us managers pointed out that they were limiting the sales and should call it 'general purpose oil', so eventually they did just that and sales increased to overtake 3 in 1. What do managers know?

If you are confused buying a can of 3 in 1, think how confusing it is trying to buy Top up oil for your engine !! The correct grades/types are hardly ever stocked at your local petrol station any more. Your vehicle handbook recommends an almost unobtainable brand of oil. Grades are very confusing for the layman, low saps, etc.,etc., (what are saps ? Anyway) it all used to be so easy , 20/50w any brand and you were set.

I now have to order it online to get the correct oil !! Not very eco friendly At all !

Billggski - 2016-08-04 10:24 AM

Forget about oil! Whatever has happened to crisps?

Prawn flavoured, pea and ham, etc.. And the price is ridiculous!

Rant over, deep breaths........

Often wondered how many bags of crisps you need to make one potato.

;-)

malc d - 2016-08-04 1:23 PM

Billggski - 2016-08-04 10:24 AM

Forget about oil! Whatever has happened to crisps?

Prawn flavoured, pea and ham, etc.. And the price is ridiculous!

Rant over, deep breaths........

Often wondered how many bags of crisps you need to make one potato.

;-)

Surely it depends on the size of the potato.

It's one potato, not two potato or three potato more.

I've had to accept that as technology accelerates so does the need for special products such as oil to work with the finer tolerances. Some are snake oil though. We have a garage full of different oil for my son's racing bikes and that doesn't run on oil! We have three different types of motor oil for two Vauxhalls and the Ducato - oh and plus one for the last ducato we haven't recycled yet.

We have three types of grease. One very old 'does everything', one for one of the Vauhall's and the other for the bikes. Three tool kits with slightly different tools and some the same.

Will might be a grumpy old fart but there are others and we can all choose a different one depending on what level of grumpiness we seek. Gone are the days of a single level of grumpiness.

Billggski - 2016-08-05 9:50 PM

.....and grease all the nipples every 3,000 miles!

I owned a 1934 Jowett Kestrel a few years ago and I had the original owners handbook which contained instructions to apply grease to all the grease nipples *weekly*. I counted the nipples: there were 35.

Harvey

Will86 - 2016-08-04 1:16 PMWith 50% compressed air in each bag provided by their automated machinery means you are buying air, think about it !
 It is  Nitrogen in the crisp bag as air contains Oxygen and Oxygen makes the crisps go stale, saw this on TV the other night  on a program about Walkers Crisps.

John52 - 2016-08-05 6:39 AM

I can remember when we only had one type of engine oil. A crankshaft used to last about 25,000 miles *-)

And a vehicle was considered scrap at 100,000 miles. But, that doesnt explain why buying the correct engine top up oil is so difficult these days.

Garage forecourts sell everything from Potatoes to an inflatable boat, but ask for a specific (but very common) type of engine oil , and they look at you as if you are mad. Is this a garage ? Or a branch of Tescos ? it was a garage, but hardly anything vehicle related is stocked. Thank goodness for the internet as ordinary shops now stock hardly anything i require.

Personally, i wouldnt mind a few grease nipples to service, rather than having to replace the part.

Archived