Tyre pumps

Billbob

Which tyre inflator to buy is a question that’s asked on these forums fairly regularly

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=inflator&author=&days=&Submit=Search

It really depends on what tasks one envisages for the inflator, what its power-source is to be (eg. 12V, 230V or manually operated) whether - if it’s to be a 12V pump - it’s to be powered from a dashboard 12V socket, and how much one is prepared to pay.

I have one of these

http://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/t-max-heavy-duty-12v-portable-air-compressor-car-van-truck-4x4-tyre-pump.html

Like Robbo’s Ring RAC900 inflator, it won’t be practicable to power the T-Max pump from an ordinary dashboard ‘cigar lighter’ socket as its amperge requirement (30A maximum) will be too high. I believe its coiled air-hose will stretch to 10 metres, though I’ve not measured whether this is correct. It certainly seems to be well made (and is quite heavy) and it sure can put air into a tyre. The screw-on connection to the tyre-valve is a bit fiddly and air will tend to be lost on disconnection, but at least the connection is firm and positive. I don’t know how it compares to the RAC900, but it’s a fair bit cheaper.

JGS 4x4 also market a heavier-duty T-Max inflaor for £79.99

http://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/t-max-adventurer-heavy-duty-12v-portable-air-compressor-4x4-tyre-pump-ba2663.html

This has a maximum amperage draw of 45A and is REALLY heavy (8.4kg). But probably overkill if you just want to put a couple of psi in your tyres.

For the last few years I'he had the same as Robbo. I clip it on the leisure battery when on hook up at home because the battery is easier to reach and is midships so I have no problems reaching all the tyres. I've never used it to add more than 25psi at any time.

I cannot use it on my son's Astra because access to his car battery is impossible and the charger doesn't have a cigarette lighter connection. Works OK with the easier to access battery on my missus's Agila.

Whatever you buy has to be long enough to reach all tyres, including spare, and have more than enough capacity to inflate to your maximum tyre pressures. That rules out most, if not all, cigarette lighter types. And that it can inflate all the vehicles you will want.

My Ring RAC900 also has a screw-in connector to the tyre valve - it looks very similar to Derek's coiled airline and connector (probably exactly the same). There is a small escape of air on releasing the screw connector. This can be easily overcome by adding a tad more pressure than necessary and checking with a reliable tyre pressure gauge afterwards.

The yellow coiled airline is also 10m and will reach all wheels easily. Connecting the clips to the engine battery is simple on a post-2006 Fiat as there is a +12v metal post, hidden under a plastic cover in the engine bay. The negative clip gets connected to a convenient point on the engine block. This arrangement should also be applicable to any Iveco type engine ie. Peugeot, Citroen etc.

The manufacturers recommendation is not to use it for extended periods otherwise it will overheat. So, if inflating a tyre from flat, you may need to let it cool down before completing the task. It's only a relatively small inflator but better than a lot on the market. Derek's one looks pretty good, especially being marketed for the 4x4 enthusiasts.

Perhaps the OP could add his MH type and engine type in the location panel (plus location) - makes it easier to respond more effectively.

Archived