Watching TV in France or not.

lancepar

Hi,

In the UK we usually watch Digital TV via the Aerial on the Motorhome roof (Freeview Terrestrial). At the moment I'm thinking taking my TV to France will be a waste of time, the DVD played is bust anyway.

What do peeps think or know from experience?

Not interested in Satellite/Sky Box options, I have these but don't want to take them.

Cheers

Lance

B-)

I used my mobile and a lightning cable form Apple.

It worked a treat in France and Spain.

Some will say it uses a massive amount of data.

I'll answer this one before someone else does.

Yes it did.

My wife and I both have 7gb each and I made sure both were near zero before we went.

We didn't watch the for the sake of it, but those ones I or my wife chose to watch.

I went very slightly over my allowance cost me a few pence with Vodafone.

Picture was perfect and worked all over France.

We've ordered a new van for delivery on the 1st sept and pondering over a sat dish, which with the beam being narrowed only work in northern France. I'm told.

I will up our dats alliance next time we go away in September.

Good look.

Den

There were changes to French TV, earlier this year.

You will need to have an HD receiver, to access their channels, now.

Previously, we could watch terrestrial French TV, using our normal digital TV, but, when they changed to HD, ours wouldn't receive their TV, anymore

I assume that it would still be ok, if it was HD.

Yes, Many people were caught out this year by the change. OK if your TV was HD but otherwise nothing.

We have an Avtex TV in our AutoTrail and had no problems with picking up a TV signal but the number of channels we received was markedly different in the various regions we toured through. We watch mainly BFMTV and iTele for the news etc. (in French of course) but there are a lot of childrens TV channels and rather strange games shows. There used to be a channel in previous years that always had a film on at night that was in English with French sub-titles but it seems to have disappeared this year.

Alan

i am watching UK tv at home in Southern France at the moment via a 1 metre dish and an old Sky box, it's the 2016 Olympic program at the moment, and we have absolutely no problems. in the van we use the Easyfind system and I have cobbled an 85 centimetre dish on a tripod onto it and again we have no problems, except during thunder storms.

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2016-08-05 9:34 PM

i am watching UK tv at home in Southern France at the moment via a 1 metre dish and an old Sky box, it's the 2016 Olympic program at the moment, and we have absolutely no problems. in the van we use the Easyfind system and I have cobbled an 85 centimetre dish on a tripod onto it and again we have no problems, except during thunder storms.

AGD

We had no problems either but the original poster said he doesn't want to go the route of a satellite dish so he will be limited and if his TV is not HD then he won't get anything.

Randonneur - 2016-08-05 10:38 PM

Archiesgrandad - 2016-08-05 9:34 PM

AGD

We had no problems either but the original poster said he doesn't want to go the route of a satellite dish so he will be limited and if his TV is not HD then he won't get anything.

For "normal" TV, and we have the Oyster dish, and decoder. UK TV is OK all through France, and even just to the north of Valencia, but the pattern is now very narrow the further south you go. However the dish will always pick up Astra 2 and always give SKY news, not that that is a bonus!

We have a Samsung flat screen small HDTV, and use only Freeview, and this works Ok in France from the directional TV aerial on the roof. Reception does vary a lot in France though, and some places it is almost possible to receive anything.

It is correct to say that you have to have either the HDTV inbuilt tuner, OR a separate HD Freeview box. We pick up various French TV stations, according to where we are, but several of their channels often seem to have an English language sound track......although its quite funny watching the likes of Midsummers Muders with a dubbed French soundtrack!!

If nothing else we can generally understand enough of the news, and as far as the weather is concerned, a picture doesn't need any language really..!

Hi Lizzie

Yes I used the lightening cable purchased from Apple direct for the warranty.

What ever you see on your mobile shows on the tv.

Perfect sound and picture.

7gb lasted 2 weeks watching the soaps ect.

Next time I'll use my wife's as well, she has the same data allowance.

I did go over by a tiny bit. Didn't notice it in the bill though.

Used it in France and Spain without problem.

Went to visit my brother in Borth and it wouldn't work. No 3 or 4G

lancepar - 2016-08-05 4:48 PM

Well my TV don't do SECAM, so that's it, won't be taking it.

Cheers all

B-)

You won't get any TV even if you had SECAM, all you need is an HD TV with a digi receiver, France stopped broadcasting in Standard definition on April 4th.

Archived