Rear view camera

Thewad

Hi I am not familiar with the monitor shown. so can only give some general advise.

The Rearview camera has a switch activated by selecting reverse gear (as apposed to being a permanent power feed) So when you take out of reverse gear it is normal for the power to go off.

Select reverse gear with the engine running, then try each option using the Menu button. Also try the feed selection button (to the right of Menu)

As the "No Signal" sign is shown in mirror image I thing you only have a selection problem rather than a fault.

So a play around should bring back the image.

Do you have an instruction manual to identify what the black button is for ?

Thanks for reply, had a look again this morning the red light is defiantly stand by mode and goes out when power is selective. I have flicked through menu and switched AV modes nothing makes any difference sadly doesn't seem to be a simple fix, as for the black 'button' which it isnt, it doesn't do anything but has IRS written by it, infra red ?

It appears to me to be a bad connection, or broken connection. You should find the wiring run which could be along the underside of the van or internally. At some point this wiring will be fed to the camera and the 12 volt power will come from one side of the rear light cluster. One wire will be linked to the reversing light 12 volt supply (this will be the 12 volt supply to the camera). Another will go to Earth. I will not speculate about the others as it looks an old monitor and could have a multi core cable of 5 or even 6 wires (newer ones only have 4 usually).

So check out your wiring and connections. I would check the back end first as it is a harsher environment than the front end under the Dash (unless you have been fiddling under the Dash recently).

You are correct in saying it a a 6 pin connector and they don't make this camera anymore, the rear connection was dirty thinking this the problem cleaned and refit sadly still the same, this was the first thing I tried, just removed rear cluster there is a crude scotch lock connection had a little look but dark now.

I will, try again tomorrow.

You need to confirm the camera is receiving power. If the camera has IR night vision you should be able to see the LEDs glow when it is dark. You can force them to turn on by covering the camera with a towel or similar.

If it is a 6-pin system it is unlikely the power will be taken from the reverse light cluster. The power will be taken from the monitor.

If no conclusion from the above try taking the camera off and then connect it directly to the monitor, hence eliminating the cable run.

Tried the towel test I would say infa reds are not working, also removed front monitor to try and plug camera direct but because it has only one connection power supply etc there us no way I can plug camera direct to it unless there's us another connection inline somewhere.

Also took back off camera and removed plug into circuit board and connected back to van to see i could get any voltage showing on volt meter, 5 wires blue,red,black,yellow and white I have assumed black earth and red power still not showing anything but clearly I could be completely work.

It is a reasonable assumption that red/black is power and earth. At the monitor end there is likely to be a control box situated a short distance from the monitor. I would expect there is one cable from the monitor, possibly with a multi-pin in-line connector, that goes to a small control box. The control box will have 2 camera inputs as I note from the video clip there is a V1/V2 button on the monitor. In addition to the 2 video inputs there may be a power and earth cable( red and black?) and a trigger wire, green maybe.

I may be totally wrong here as some systems have the control box built into the monitor but if that was the case you would see the power, earth and trigger wires coming from the monitor.

After market installers tend to put the control box behind or underneath the dashboard. Manufacturers like Swift put it at the bottom of the nearside B-pillar, especially if the mirror mount monitor is used.

I should have read your post before having another look today, you are dead right about additional box it is located in rear locker/compartment and i wasn't even looking just saw it as i was having a clean up and guess what, there is an additional socket/box and the plug had had come apart hardly surprising as there was about 2 foot of cable just floating about and this had obviously got caught/knocked by materials moving around inside and pulled the two apart.

A simple case of plugging back in and securing cable away

So for me a happy ending, thank you for the advice and hopefully maybe some help to other swift owners should it occur for them

397005240_20160809_1514091.jpg.58b24a4fb754a91e6609257323448632.jpg

Archived