Ducato X230 rear brake shoes

JonMac46

I'm sure they will be a few people on here who are familiar with these.

I failed the DoE [irish MOT] for ineffective rear brakes. My local mechanic was on holiday so I took it to a dealer nearby. After a 2 week delay they called to say it was ready.

As I rushed off to get the re-test before they grace period was over, I realised all was not well; the brake pedal was soft and there was also a grinding noise as soon as I put pressure on the pedal.

It just passed the re-test and I decided to get my local mechanic to check it out. He found a small amount of air in one line, but said there was something not right about the adjusters.

On this model the adjusters have a knurled nut that sets the gap, and a roughly triangular fitting that, I presume, is there to stop the nut spontaneously unwinding.

On one wheel the device wasn't making contact with the nut [and he couldn't see how it could] and on the other wheel the device was missing. He was wondering if the shoes were not the right version.

At the moment neither wheel has it installed.

Am I right in thinking this is not OK? Can the adjuster slacken off?

Thanks,

Jon

PS The grinding noise disappeared after he had refitted the drums.

Your Ducato X230 must be between 15 and 20 years old. Consequently, it's possible that the brake shoes and/or brake cylinders have been replacsd, hopefully with the correct replacement parts.

The brake adjuster (assume it's a star shaped nut) should not move once it's been set. I assume the brake shoes are adjusted manually (using the star shaped nut) and are not self-adjusting?

It could be that during a previous service, the assembly hasn't been replaced properly or bits lost.

JonMac46 - 2016-08-11 6:01 AM

Update: I took it back to where I bought it and they found there were 1.8T shoes fitted instead of the proper 1.4T model shoes.

I was told the first dealer had used the VIN, so where it went wrong I can't imagine.

Glad you got it sorted. It's always good to hear of a happy ending.

Archived