Winter Camping - Europe

Dizzied

Hi All,

Can anyone out there recommend a campsite in France or Germany that is open over the Christmas Holidays? I know there are many out there on and around the ski areas but we are tying to find one with an indoor swimming pool.

We've nether been skiing before but would like to give it a go but the pool will help break up the days

Thanks in advance.

Camping Caravaneige Le Plan du Fernuy near La Clusaz may fit the bill. It is located a few kilometres from the very pretty little ski village of La Clusaz and has a n indoor pool. There is a free skibus providing access to town and the pistes.

All skiing campsites will be open over christmas but some will be close to fully booked already, especially in Austria though I'm not sure about France.

Camping Otztal (Oetzi the icemans valley) at Langenfeld in Austria is adjacent to the best spa ever and quite a nice busy skiing village. Stayed up the road in Solden ourselves but it's more serious skiing up there for novices.

The campsite at Le Grand Bornand is ok, but nothing like the standard of Austrian sites, and has a small pool.

We normally stay on aires, or just in a ski lift carpark for a night or two, but a campsite is a good bet for your first visit to the mountains.

Kev

All skiing campsites will be open over christmas but some will be close to fully booked already, especially in Austria though I'm not sure about France.

Camping Otztal (Oetzi the icemans valley) at Langenfeld in Austria is adjacent to the best spa ever and quite a nice busy skiing village. Stayed up the road in Solden ourselves but it's more serious skiing up there for novices.

The campsite at Le Grand Bornand is ok, but nothing like the standard of Austrian sites, and has a small pool.

We normally stay on aires, or just in a ski lift carpark for a night or two, but a campsite is a good bet for your first visit to the mountains.

Kev

Have a look at this

http://www.motorhomeski.com/places-to-stay/france/southern-alps/alpe-dhuez

Skied over Christmas in Alpe-duez a couple of years ago but we were in a hotel. The swimming pool in the town is good. There's an ice rink, plenty of bars and restaurants and good beginners slopes. We saw this aire from a lift.

Also if it is your first time suggest you look to buy some beginners skis, boots, poles and helmets on ebay if you don't have the kit already. You may be a bit reluctant to buy boots but no harm in going into a shop in the UK and umming and ahhing rather than buying but gaining some knowledge of your size and brand preferences. It will save you a few quid if you are careful e.g. always look up the reviews for the skis/boots, never buy skis without good pictures of the undersides and check what is said about when they were serviced and how they have been stored. :-)

Dizzied - 2016-08-07 4:18 PM

Hi All,

Can anyone out there recommend a campsite in France or Germany that is open over the Christmas Holidays? I know there are many out there on and around the ski areas but we are tying to find one with an indoor swimming pool.

We've nether been skiing before but would like to give it a go but the pool will help break up the days

Thanks in advance.

You don't say what van you have so be aware that not all are suitable for Alpine conditions. Underslung water tanks are vulnerable to freezing at Alpine temperatures, and underslung waste water tanks are best used with the drain valve permanently open and a bucket (regularly emptied to prevent the contents freezing) under the outlet.

One 13kg gas cylinder (propane, not butane) will probably last only 3 - 4 days, so UK sourced gas cylinders are unlikely to be of use for the duration of your trip. You cannot exchange UK gas cylinders outside the UK. If you have refillables or a tank you should be OK, but will need to go off site to refill more often than you may be anticipating.

You will need tyres with reasonable tread depth (possibly 5-6mm, but check the requirements for the chosen country) and, if you will be traversing Germany (possibly also Austria), they must be identifiable as "winter" tyres. You will absolutely need to take chains - and it would be wise to make sure you know how to fit them before to poo goes into the fan! It would also be wise to check up on the local restrictions/obligations for their use, and fines may be applied if you transgress. If your van is Transit based, read the section of the manual regarding use of chains and front tyre widths. There is a risk of damage to the inner wings with the wrong combination.

Watch your mains lead, they tend to settle into snow/ice, and can become irretrievable after several days, so it is a good idea to ensure it stays on the top and to shift it around regularly.

You will need a really good, well insulated, windscreen/cab windows cover.

You will need to manage ventilation carefully to prevent condensation build-up in lockers/cupboards, and possible damage to the van inner linings.

If your van has electric heating, don't assume that it will be adequate for Alpine conditions. It is almost certain that you will have to use gas as well.

Have fun - in due course (it's still only August!). :-)

Dizzied you don't seem to have checked back in. I had some further thoughts about your plans because we skied in our MH for the first time this year. If you are no longer receptive/interested in the replies (particulary the excellent ones from Brian about preparation) then there appears to be little point in posting. Let us know your thoughts so far. :-)

Thanks for the prompt Violet point taken- been pre occupied with the olympics. There have been some great responses and there is clearly a lot to choose from. Unfortunately I haven't got enough annual leave to make an enjoyable trip at Christmas - maybe next year.

It did get me thinking about supplies though especially gas but figured that out of all of the options buying a local gas bottle and pig tail is the best option.

Thanks for the info I had thought about most of it.

I purposely didn't mention which van I had as I didn't want to start the whole argument about what vans work and don't in the cold. I've said it previously that I've known people go sking using a panel van conversion that is 15 to 20 years old and have survived.

Dizzied - 2016-08-17 9:44 PM

Thanks for the info I had thought about most of it.

I purposely didn't mention which van I had as I didn't want to start the whole argument about what vans work and don't in the cold. I've said it previously that I've known people go sking using a panel van conversion that is 15 to 20 years old and have survived.

Shame you can't go. I think you are right not to get too bothered about what vans work and what don't. We have a 10 year old coachbuilt van, underslung waste tank which is not lagged or heated, no double floor and definitely not Euro 3 insulation and we were toasty enough. The one thing I was going to say was that to get the van ready with basic winter stuff cost us around £300 pounds -good quality silver screens for the outside, snow chains, gas adapters, french propane bottle etc. If you would only winter camp for skiing might be a good idea to do a cheapo package skiing holiday to make sure you like it before shelling out. The Alpe Duez trip we did over Christmas week 2013 cost us £479 each for flights, accomodation (very basic hotel but smack by the piste) and transfers with Rocketski flying out of Manchester. And yes I have been distracted by the Olympics. Great to see the Ladies' hockey team get through to the final tonight. Go GB!

We weren't really going for the skiing, the idea was to try and find somewhere that may have some snow and feel a bit more Christmassy. Plus it gets away from the family argument of who's visiting who at what time.

Oh well maybe next year

Archived