Genarators

Dpal3

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No such thing a silent generator, there are noisy ones and less noisy ones. ;-)

When comparing the decibels, ensure the test conditions and specifications are the same as with many things a different set of parameters will give you different results for example the decibel how measured and at what distance.

As per above the Honda's are probably the quieter ones but also probably the most expensive.

Solar is absolutely the quietest. B-)

lennyhb - 2016-08-08 9:43 AM

No such thing as a silent generator, even the quietest Hondas are noisy and obtrusive to neighbours, nothing worse than being camped within ½ mile of someone with a generator.

The only true silent generator is solar panels.

Nothing worse than being parked within 0.5 miles of someone with a generator.....Interesting.

I would say that all out thermo nuclear war might just top it.

We were on a cl got settled, owner of van next to us got back from cycle ride, and out came the generator.

It was a bit noisy for him so he moved it closer to us!!

Fortunately large field so we were able to move a fair distance away.(not 1/2 a mile though) If they wanted electric why they couldn't choose a cl with hook up?

If you hate life and its people then buy a generator.

A couple of years ago I went to a steam rally in Scotland when a camper near by started his generator, just to power a monster TV. On many US sites the first question is are using a generator, if yes you are parked at the furthest point away.

I have a Honda generator and these are as quiet as you can get.  But mine has been relegated to the garage at home since I fitted solar panels and I keep it purely in case of power cuts at home.  I very rarely used it even before I got solar panels.  They are heavy to cart around and very slow to recharge batteries - and they are of course very expensive.  If you have money to burn consider an EFOY system; they are efficient and silent.

Yes, you have that partly wrong.

Solar panels on a MH generate a 12 volt supply to charge your battery and you can then use an inverter to convert energy from your battery to run mains voltage equipment as necessary - although it will usually be more efficient to use 12 volt equipment if available - like TVs for example.

I use the 12v supply to charge my phone (using a connector designed for use with a car's ciger lighter socket) and a small inverter to recharge my laptop.

starvin marvin - 2016-08-08 12:01 PM

lennyhb - 2016-08-08 9:43 AM

No such thing as a silent generator, even the quietest Hondas are noisy and obtrusive to neighbours, nothing worse than being camped within ½ mile of someone with a generator.

The only true silent generator is solar panels.

Nothing worse than being parked within 0.5 miles of someone with a generator.....Interesting.

I would say that all out thermo nuclear war might just top it.

Don't think I would survive that to find out. :D

Dpal3 - 2016-08-08 4:16 PM

solar panels don't charge phones work the tv or boil a kettle or do i have that wrong ???

Yes very wrong, always more efficient to use 12v chargers, loads of 12v TV's and far more efficient to boil a kettle on the gas hob.

The only thing we have not been able to charge directly from 12 volts are the e-bike batteries, we do that indirectly via an inverter so still using 12v as the only source of electrical energy.

Hi,

I've got 2 leisure batteries and a 120w solar panel on my van. I also have an "in motion" satellite dome, internet, microwave, kettle, toaster which i can use. If there's any issues, i can always start the van up as i also have a charge relay connected to the battery. Never had a problem with the setup.

Al

stvekay - 2016-08-08 8:36 PM

If you want to use a Generator use it with out annoying /disturbing anyone else. IE on your own.

Agree 100%. It's antisocial and inconsiderate to use a Genny anywhere near other campers or residents living in the vicinity.

Another pet hate of mine is other MH's running their engine to charge up their leisure batteries - just as bad as a Genny.

If it's a generator you really want I have this one, runs at low revs until a higher wattage is required normally kettles microwave, I do a lot of Motorsport so mostly open fields but there are some noisy ones around that run at full pelt or nothing :'(

http://www.kelvinpowertools.com/honda-eu10i-portable-quiet-inverter-generator-c-117-p-2319?gclid=CO6opLfiss4CFQgUGwodGjMLJg

At a recent CCC rally I attended, I noticed a generator running with the exhausted piped into a bucket of water, which certainly cut the noise down.

There is a time and place for generators and for some people they provide a means of charging mobility scooters etc, so not just for powering tv

sshortcircuit - 2016-08-08 10:50 PM

At a recent CCC rally I attended, I noticed a generator running with the exhausted piped into a bucket of water, which certainly cut the noise down.

There is a time and place for generators and for some people they provide a means of charging mobility scooters etc, so not just for powering tv

Hating generator users is ok, until you end up as we did once with a dead starter battery whilst wild camping in Portugal. A very kind m/homer offered me use of his generator to get the damn thing charged up. Cost to me a decent bottle of wine.

It's a bit like hating big 4x4's, if you get bogged down and someone offers you a tow, all of a sudden you love 4x4's.

I might dislike both of them, but it's sometimes nice to have one or the other nearby.

Robbo - 2016-08-08 9:37 PM

stvekay - 2016-08-08 8:36 PM

If you want to use a Generator use it with out annoying /disturbing anyone else. IE on your own.

Agree 100%. It's antisocial and inconsiderate to use a Genny anywhere near other campers or residents living in the vicinity.

Another pet hate of mine is other MH's running their engine to charge up their leisure batteries - just as bad as a Genny.

At least you can have the last laugh, running an engine on tickover is the quickest way to bugger a DPF & CAT converter. :D

Thewad - 2016-08-08 10:37 PMIf it's a generator you really want I have this one, runs at low revs until a higher wattage is required normally kettles microwave, I do a lot of Motorsport so mostly open fields but there are some noisy ones around that run at full pelt or nothing :'( http://www.kelvinpowertools.com/honda-eu10i-portable-quiet-inverter-generator-c-117-p-2319?gclid=CO6opLfiss4CFQgUGwodGjMLJg

This 1 KW generator is a good one but it's not big enough to run a microwave oven, if you had that in mind, which is why I bought the next one up in size, a 2 Kw Honda.

The Honda machines are really very quiet and although you might annoy your immediate neighbour on a proper campsite, it would have to be a very selfish neighbour who objected to your Honda generator in other circumstances, such as an event field or wild camping and you shouldn't upset anyone.

Archived