C'Card / D'Card when out of the UK

Will86

I cut up my credit card when someone tried to take funds from it, that was all years ago. I now only use cash or a Debit Card and there's never been any difficulty. And of course I'm never charged any extras.

When in Ireland or France etc is ther a must to use a CCard? I'm aware of the gains if there's a failure ?

Which way or what do the regular users do ?

It will probably be said that there's more to gain by the CC insurance, but I'm one of those odd people who pay no extras or I refuse to buy it.

Will

On our regular trips into mainland europe, and anywhere else for that matter, we use both a cc and a debit card. The cc is used for as many purchases as possible, food, fuel, restaurants, tolls etc, the debit card is used to withdraw cash.

The cc gives us basically free use, the debit card does the same thing for cash. We also carry a back up cc and debit card. It works for us.

There's probably no straight answer as t&c's vary, but all cc give consumer protection, not all dc do.

When I went monthly paid back in 70's I started using a cc to get bill to coincide with my payday and have used one ever since, for many years I got cash back on my card so it made financial sense to use it nowadays it just provides a short term buffer and protection.

We use a Halifax MasterCard and pay the bill via a direct debit for the full balance.

There are no charges for using it abroad and I think no charges for drawing cash when abroad.

The exchange rate is always very good.

You get the CC protection

Andy

We use a combination of a Post Office Credit Card and a Nationwide Credit Card, both of which are entirely commission free for purchases abroad (but not for drawing cash) and because the exchange rates are better than taking euros with you to buy stuff, so we use them for most purchases.  We also take some Euros in cash but nothing like as much as we used to.  We take some We also take debit cards as a fall back, including for drawing cash abroad if necessary but we don't carry them around; they stay in the MH.

Guest pelmetman
Andy&Lou - 2016-08-09 2:57 PM

We use a Halifax MasterCard and pay the bill via a direct debit for the full balance.

There are no charges for using it abroad and I think no charges for drawing cash when abroad.

Andy

This is the route we've now gone too B-) ...........

Although we have also upgraded our Nationwide account to the "Flexplus" as you get free breakdown insurance, and free 30 day travel health insurance which can be extended at extra cost to a 180 days B-) .......

Not to mention 3% on balances up to 2.5k so the monthly £10 fee is reduced to a fiver :D ........

Hi

I use a CC with no fees for use in making purchases overseas, there are a number on the market. The exchange rate used is the commercial rate so always better than exchange rate to purchase or withdraw cash from machines.

In some countries eg Scandinavia they use cards for everything even small purchases such as an ice cream so the CC is ideal. I pay off each month. If going abroad for extended period I also preload some cash.

For the small amount of cash I hold I use a Caxton card for cash withdrawals, charge free overseas plus easy to top up using mobile phone.

I carry a spare CC and spare DC hidden in the motor home for emergencies. All other cards I leave at home well hidden.

Peter

Andy

I think you're talking about the Halifax Clarity card, which has fees for cash withdrawals. There is also the old Santander Zero card which is the same, but is now closed.

pelmetman - 2016-08-09 4:52 PM

Andy

This is the route we've now gone too B-) ...........

Although we have also upgraded our Nationwide account to the "Flexplus" as you get free breakdown insurance, and free 30 day travel health insurance which can be extended at extra cost to a 180 days B-) .......

Not to mention 3% on balances up to 2.5k so the monthly £10 fee is reduced to a fiver :D ........

You're right Nationwide Flexplus gives fee free cash withdrawals.

May I recommend the following website. http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

I have used it many times when preparing for trips abroad. Do be aware of "Debit Cards from Hell".

They charge you a foreign currency loading when used to pay for foreign currency in Sterling, when in UK.

Many years ago we did use a Debit Card on our first visit to NZ, but changed to a Credit Card when a foreign loading was applied to the Debit Card.

Do remember that if using a Credit Card to withdraw foreign currency, there may be no loading, but you will be charged interest from the withdrawal date. There is no grace period such as that applied to purchasing goods or services. Best ploy is to pay off CC via internet ASAP.

HALIFAX CLARITY CARD....charges interest on cash withdrawals until paid off.......we do by D Debit so if drawing cash there is a little amount of interest to pay.  Reputedly gives the best exchange rate of any card, supposedly very close to the 'inter bank' rate which no other card offers or can match.

I spend 6 months a year out of the country due to my job and as of last year have been using the 'Supercard' by Travelex........

https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/supercard

Its specifically for use abroad, gives very high exchange rate and has ZERO charges for all foreign transactions.

They do now tho have a 2.99% charge for cash withdrawals.

The beauty of it is that you link it to any of your existing cards, either credit or debit, and when its used the transaction comes off that chosen card.

You can also swap and change the card its linked to, dependant on your choice for that transaction.

Lots of useful info here......

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards#supercard

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards

Ive used mine extensively and am very pleased with the savings Ive made so far compared to previous alternatives.

V.

starvin marvin - 2016-08-09 5:12 PM

Andy

I think you're talking about the Halifax Clarity card, which has fees for cash withdrawals. There is also the old Santander Zero card which is the same, but is now closed.

Like the Santander Zero credit card, the Halifax Clarity credit card has NO cash withdrawal fee.

http://tinyurl.com/z7x2fav

However (as RogerC advises) interest will be charged on cash withdrawals made via the Halifax Clarity card (and via the Santander Zero card) until the amount withdrawn is paid off.

The interest can be avoided if the ‘paying off’ can be done soon after the cash withdrawal (see final posting and included link here)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Credit-card-to-use-abroad/38096/

It’s what we try to do with our Santander Zero credit card, but the ploy won’t be suitable for everyone and carries potential risks.

Derek Uzzell - 2016-08-10 8:48 AM

starvin marvin - 2016-08-09 5:12 PM

Andy

Like the Santander Zero credit card, the Halifax Clarity credit card has NO cash withdrawal fee.

http://tinyurl.com/z7x2fav

However (as RogerC advises) interest will be charged on cash withdrawals made via the Halifax Clarity card (and via the Santander Zero card) until the amount withdrawn is paid off.

The interest can be avoided if the ‘paying off’ can be done soon after the cash withdrawal (see final posting and included link here)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Credit-card-to-use-abroad/38096/

It’s what we try to do with our Santander Zero credit card, but the ploy won’t be suitable for everyone and carries potential risks.

You're correct, I should have said "costs" rather than "fees".

Just received my cc annual statement and the cost to me of taking out cash in the last year (£800+) was just over £10. Which by coincidence is more or less the same as the previous year, so pretty cheap, but could have been "free" if I could just remember to take my dc with me when I need some cash.

Must do better.

Just received my cc annual statement and the cost to me of taking out cash in the last year (£800+) was just over £10. Which by coincidence is more or less the same as the previous year, so pretty cheap, but could have been "free" if I could just remember to take my dc with me when I need some cash.

Must do better.

Also Norwich and Peterborough do not charge for cash withdrawals or interest (cos its a bank and we have funds in it). We use this pretty much all the time when in mainland Europe.

We also have a Halifax Clarity Card for larger purchases. We never use this for cash withdrawals for the reason other people have stated. Saga also have a free to use overseas Credit Card.

Also stash credit and debit cards around the 'van .... and have a sacrificial wallet.

In the UK we use Tesco MasterCard, as it earns us the tokens to pay for the Tunnel to get back to Europe! (^)

Archived