Electric Bikes in Spain

Randonneur

Does anyone have any up to date information regarding using E-Bikes in Spain. We have 2 bikes which have Pedal Assist/Pedal only and Throttle so before we take them to Spain just trying to clarify the situation over there. They are Evora Explorers and are 250w and have EN15194 Certificated but do not have any COC. Clear explanations would be gratefully received.

EN15194 refers to the safety and build quality of the bike. The law regarding throttles is well described here

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/electric-bike-guides/uk-electric-bike-law/

However, in many years of riding a throttle style bike in Spain I have never had a problem. I doubt the average Spanish policeman would be even remotely interested in checking your bikes.

They might pay some interest in moped style electric bikes and I have seen these whizzing around Spanish roads without pedalling and with BIG motors.

So don't worry, you are very unlikely to have any problem, I never did. I have now swapped our bikes for non throttle ones with a CoC, Not because of any legal problems but because they kept breaking down.

H

You can only ride e-bikes under electric power when the pedals are turning ,not on hand throttle only. If you have a twist thottle and are worried about it, just tape it up with insulation tape to stop it working. I do not think that Spanish plod would be that interested.

Brian B.

Archived