Calais to Sarlat with 2 kids - 3 nights to wildcamp

LucyK

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of nice Aires/Wildcamping spots enroute from Calais to Sarlat over 3 nights? We don't mind taking the scenic route but don't really want to drive more that 2-3 hours per day if we can help it.

Thank you!!

Lucy

There's a very nice aire at Cleres, just north of Rouen. Parking is free and the adjacent leisure centre sells tokens for water and electric hook-up. Ten minute walk into the village. Leisure centre closes at four (or it did when we were there in June) and I don't think you can buy tokens anywhere else.

Just read the name Sarlat and memories rolled in. One of the best places we have been twice. Its like York old town with it's narrow streets.

Could always visit the Troglodyte caves not far away on way down.

Cognac has a nice Aire in the centre at side of river, even got a guided tour of the Brandy Distillary while there.

Have seen pictures of another ideal Aire in a town at side of river, think it was Perigueux, has a great market there too.

Lucy, if you are travelling in August, you will need to get aires early, as the French will be on holiday and they will be crowded. If you have problems finding places , and you don't have an aires book, have a look in one of the LARGE supermarkets book section, , will be in French, but easy to understand and give sat nav details any way.

PJay - 2016-08-13 10:11 PM

Lucy, if you are travelling in August, you will need to get aires early, as the French will be on holiday and they will be crowded. If you have problems finding places ............

Just returned from France and found it spookily quiet on both Aires and camp sites. Some of the sites have reduced the High Season fees to Mid or Low because they are not getting the holiday makers in. We used a selection of Aires and campsites, some of which we have had problems getting onto in Low season and were surprised to find them very under utilised.

Bas

Basil - 2016-08-13 11:55 PM

PJay - 2016-08-13 10:11 PM

Lucy, if you are travelling in August, you will need to get aires early, as the French will be on holiday and they will be crowded. If you have problems finding places ............

Just returned from France and found it spookily quiet on both Aires and camp sites. Some of the sites have reduced the High Season fees to Mid or Low because they are not getting the holiday makers in. We used a selection of Aires and campsites, some of which we have had problems getting onto in Low season and were surprised to find them very under utilised.

Bas

Possibly because of the bombings and they have bad fires in the south, I bet they all have gone to Spain

We just returned from a brilliant 14 days in France around the area your heading too, but were more on the coast.

On the way we stopped at one of the best sites (Aires) i have seen, also other visitors we spoke too all had returned to the site as it was top standard.
Its just south of Le Mans and is in a town called La-Suze-Sarthe at lat/long N47° 53' 21.2" E0° 01' 50.4" 
There is a proper camping site next door, but the Aires is perfect. It costs just 5 euro a night and that includes electric hook up.
There is water available and the normal black & grey water disposal. 
Theres a kids play ground and fields plus the river for fishing or messing around in a small boat as my boys did. In the village there is the normal bakery and small shops, the kabab/pizza shop is a bit pricy and not worth a look. Apart from that all very good.
see the link and photo attached. I also have a full list of all my stops on the journey just made, which i will try to add in excel.

584064417_closeupLaSuze-Sur-sarthe.thumb.jpg.85092b51b3dad24b6b91fa314c2342ff.jpg

One other point to note, it may not be as costly for you as your MH has the normal 4 wheels, by the look of the photo. But look out for the costs of the Toll roads, they can add up quite a lot, it stung us for the first couple of days until we decided to keep off motorways marked by the blue signs with the word "Peage" on them.

Our MH has a tag axle so is charged at the high HGV rate level 5. But I am sure MH are only a level below that and could still rack up the costs.
The green roads are great to traverse the country, you see a lot more too, maybe slower and too many roundabouts, but get the opportunity to stop more. 
This website will give you the costs and routes, https://www.viamichelin.com/

One other point to note, it may not be as costly for you as your MH has the normal 4 wheels, by the look of the photo. But look out for the costs of the Toll roads, they can add up quite a lot, it stung us for the first couple of days until we decided to keep off motorways marked by the blue signs with the word "Peage" on them.

Our MH has a tag axle so is charged at the high HGV rate level 5. But I am sure MH are only a level below that and could still rack up the costs.
The green roads are great to traverse the country, you see a lot more too, maybe slower and too many roundabouts, but get the opportunity to stop more. 
This website will give you the costs and routes, https://www.viamichelin.com/ (bear in mind this will give you the car toll rate, a MH is charged at level 4 at least)

FAQs.motorway.thumb.jpg.e428b8f226776334d59777d63539e3f3.jpg

Archived