A serious GPS query

Will86

For some 20 and more years I used a Navman N60i for following GPS. It was a very colourful piece of kit with sideways displays as I travelled, showing water features and forestry and forth coming towns all with titles, which meant I could turn off and investigate. A particular feature was when on site I could search around the area and plan where to walk or cycle etc, I could plan everything from the chair at home. It had its faults and stopped if overheated, plus co-ordinates were impossible. Its now failed and I miss it

Yesterday I bought a 5inch 'TT' from Halfords at £84. It does its job of taking me from A-B. BUT its very poor in colour or for enabling features when at home.

With the 'N' I could say, choose Brighton as a visit destination, (or our any other town) and the display gave me the whole of Brighton which I could then wander over and decide where to park with a short cut for walking to a particular point. There was a facility at the touch of a button to then choose my parking destination point to be further programmed and followed later.

On the TT this application seems not possible and I'm doubtful if spending even £300 it will see any improve. The impression I have so far is of speed and not interest.

Does anyone have a Satnav similar to that which I seek or who has a modern Navman. I live around the corner from their Gatwick base so Monday I will be knocking on their door seek a similar navigator.

Will

You can do all of that on your Tom Tom, leastways I can on all three of my differing models, 4inch, 5inch and 6inch. I also had Navman originally (also had Garmin) but I find the TomTom superior in most ways to both.

The one feature I do miss from the Navman was the ability to set your own top speeds on various roads e.g. motorways to 65, 'A'; roads to 55 as this made the total trip time by far more accurate. I know the TomTom adjusts as you travel the route but for me I would like it to be accurate at the start.

Bas

if you haven't done it yet roughly as follows.

First set your route to the general area, then go into the menu to 'view route' look around the area to where you want to really go then back out and select 'change destination', then when it asks for the destination select point on map and the map will come back to the point you found when you viewed the map at which point you can select your destination. When you have your route you then select change route and select 'Via' to add waypoints. sounds complicated but is really quite easy when you have done it on the device. If you think about it you are doing the same as you did on the Navman but in a different way.

Bas

Archived