1st Motorhome Elddis vs Swift

Neal

After researching for a couple of years we are now in the throes of our 1st motorhome purchase. We have found a couple of good looking second hand models and would welcome the forum views on both.

First is an Elddis 155 2010 plate with 11,000 on the clock. Lovely tidy model, drives very well when we took it out yesterday. We like the bench seats giving plenty of space to stretch out. The kitchen is also good and as we are finding the oven has hardly been used.

Minor grumbles: sink outside the bathroom and a strange electrics panel when compared to the swift.

Our other choice will be going out on a test drive this morning. This is a Swift 680FB which again has that roomy lounge and a bigger kitchen than the Elddis. This is a 2008 model and is slightly more expensive with 25k on the clock.

We have previously hired a Chaussan and a Swift, both with fixed beds which is our preference. Both gave us a good idea of what we wanted as well as an understanding about motorhoming.

Any suggestions, tips etc will be very welcome.

Thanks, Neal

Hi

Can't comment on the swift, but we bought a new 155 in 2011 and kept it just over 4 years before trading up to an Adria. The 155 drove very well having the optional 120 BHP engine. No faults whatsoever with the 155, although expect some negative comments ? Worth getting a decent reversing camera due to no rear window and long overhang. The sink was not an issue. We miss the long twin sofas of the 155. The small water tank was not an issue as we used an aqua roll, which effectively gave us 90 litres of water on tap. Storage was good, loads of room under the bed. As usual look at service and habitation history.

Hope this helps

Andy (we sort of miss our 155)

Thanks for that Andy.

As for negative comments, I know what you mean. We bought a Barrat house new 2 years ago and there are loads of comments on line about them as well, ours has been great!

Thanks again for the comments.

Neal

If you're really keen on the Elddis check very, very carefully underneath.

The fundamental design on this model [and many from that era] is really 'old school' and they are prone to ingress and rot at quite an early age - and from what I've seen it's sadly very consistent, certainly on pre -SoLiD models.

Pay particular attention to the rear quarters, where the ridiculous exposed timbers take a beating.

Personally, I would cast the same critical eye over the Swift too.

You obviously know your requirements - but bear in mind, small water tanks, probably not winterised and often poor external locker space - if any at all.

Basically - look in all the places would wouldn't normally bother with! Please!

I'll I don't necessarily have a 'downer' on British coach-built vans, although I think the design and construction aspects of many are flawed, and I would never buy one.

Good luck with your search.

We bought the 165 on a 62 plate, the only thing so far that i have an issue with is the basic 100 bhp engine that is fitted as standard it can be sluggish on hills.

with regard the water tank mentioned we do not have an issue as this was changed by elddis to a 90 litre on the 2012 and later models, as this was a major complaint against them.

check the hinges on the lockers under the bench seats 155 has 2 from memory the screws tend to pullout if not treated with care.

check what optional extras were fitted you can get a brochure download from elddis. Check out the radio reception - usually its abysmal, get the dealer to fit a decent aerial as part of the deal.

I can't speak for older models as we bought a new Autoquest 115 in May 2015, previous to this we have bought three Auto Sleepers over about 15 years and I think the 115 is the best yet. certainly the one with least problems from new.

time will tell of course but we have had this van for a whole year now.

Pete

Archived