Northern Portugal

BBdevon

Do not miss the Algarve. Very popular it is true, but there's a reason for that.

There are lots of new "Aires" being opened so you can stay on those quite cheaply.

Buy a copy of "Camperstop Europe" it will be the best thing you ever bought!

The Portugese are a nice civilised lot, politeness is the norm so learn a few phrases like "Obrigado" (Thank you) "Dia bom" (Good day) and so on.

I can't think of anything that might give you any problems, everything is available and prices are cheap although not as cheap with the £ being so low.

The inland Aires are worth a visit, lots of river and reservoir sites, medieval villages and so on.

Have fun, buy your wine in Spain, Portugese stuff is an acquired taste!

H

EDIT: I just noticed you said Northern, that coast is quieter but still pretty, the wind can blow a bit but it's still hot.

We love Northern Portugal - planned to spend most of a 10 week trip early this summer there, although in the end the dire weather (through all of Portugal, but a bit warmer in the South) in May saw us heading down to the Algarve. We did come back North later on though.

I disagree with hallii on a couple of points - personally I much prefer the North to the Algarve, which has some great bits & good beaches, but is our least favourite area of the country. Too busy on the coast, too many vans, and by Portuguese standards expensive. Also, Portuguese wine is brilliant - there's a wine, Real Lavrador red, which the Wine Society here sell at £5.75 & describes as an absolute bargain, which sells in most supermarkets for about €1.60. Beware some of the fizzy rose stuff though!

Portuguese sites are often very cheap - apart from the Orbitur ones, which we find overpriced - many are well below the lowest ACSI rate. But they are not always very good - out of season particularly they can seem a bit run down. We found excellent municipal sites this year at Meda and Mogodouro, from memory both under €10 a night. (Not sure if you plan to be so far inland though.) As hallii has said there are starting to be quite a lot of private aires, although I think more in the S and central areas than the North. We find this site very helpful -www.campingcarportugal.com . I agree that the Camperstop book is useful, and it's well worth buying the Guia Roteira campsite guide as well - it's only about €7, most campsites sell it, lists (almost) all sites and gets you a discount at many sites.

Of the towns/cities, Porto is a must - amazing place - although camping is less convenient. There is an Orbitur on the coast just S of the city (Maddalena?) which has a very convenient (if hair-raising) bus link into the centre. But, when we stayed 3 years ago, the site was very shabby indeed. I reckon a better option is the site at Sol de Vila Cha - in quite a pleasant seaside village, and a short taxi ride to take the metro into Porto. Personally, I'd not recommend driving a MH in Porto!

The coast does get windy, and the sea can be difficult for swimming. In September 3 years back it got very hot (up to 38C) - but a site at Entre Ambos et Rios (? - in the ACSI book) north of Braga had beautiful river pools nearby.

If you like fish, try to go to a fish restaurant, where you select your fish, they split and season it, then grill it over charcoal. Very plain, but amazing - the fish on the coast is stunning. (As it is in Galicia and the rest of NW Spain.)

Hope this helps!

We were in Northern Portugal in April as we followed the coastline from Santander west and then south into Portugal. We also enjoyed the northern area and did stay at the Porto Orbitur. It is still a bit tatty but has an enormous facilities block which though dated is well maintained and clean. OK a bit more expensive but for convenience for Porto by bus it can't be bettered. Also pleasant walks along the beachside promenade here - or jogging, running or cycling both first thing in the morning or as the sun sets out in the Atlantic ocean. When we were there they were upgrading the site, but there are some ancient and very tatty caravans which have been there a long time!

Inland at Braga we stayed on an aire at Bom Jesus, a spectacular religious escadaria in the baroque style. There is a water powered funicular, though pilgrims have been known to make the climb on their knees! The walk down provides some stunning views, both up and down the stairway.

We also enjoyed the coastline of northern Spain and would recommend visit to Santiago de Compostela, especially to do some people watching in the Pilgrim's Square in front of the cathedral - also worth a visit. The site there is on the hill above the city and again has a good bus service into the centre.

Don't forget inland spent a few days touring on my motorbike and went into the Parque Nacional Peneda-Gerês fantastic limestone mountains with bears and wolves, we camped in an enclosed site, over night the waste bins were visited and contents evenly spread, and by waste bins i am talking large skip sized boxes with supposedly secure lids.

We also went along the towns and villages of the Minhos some of these we had trouble negotiating on motorbikes the streets were so narrow but once inside the older fortified towns are great to explore.

your route down is the reverse of the one I did we looped in to the Algarve then up the coast, personally i couldn't get out of the Algarve quick enough far to touristy

For Porto we stayed at Parque de Campismo da Madalena conveniently located for a train into Porto and also the sea cant remember cost

Hi,

Although northern Portugal is a large place to explore do check on any places you have in mind for fires. Unfortunately partly due to a long hot summer and a few a..holes there have been a lot this year and may have spoilt the area you wanted to visit.

Incidentally there is nothing wrong with the wine here, try the Douro region which is a large river from Porto going north. You can also go on boat trips up the river and you will see kilometre after kilometre of grape vines.

As mentioned they are a friendly bunch but fear they probably speak a lot less English in the northern parts as they do on the Algarve.

EnjoyA :-D B-)

Archived