Buying - high mileage with FSH or lower mileage with out?

MinnietheMoocher

Waying up the pros and cons of buying an older motorhome, high mileage, over 100,00, looking at one i in particular, Hymer B544, Fiat Ducato 2.5TD, with a FSH, against a lower mileage vehicle with very little service history.

Looking at Hymers, early 1990s to later, early 2000s.

I have read somewhere,( probably on here) that average annual mileage for a motorhome is 6,000 miles., so a 20 year old MH could have easily have done 120,000 miles.

I don't want to buy an unreliable vehicle that is constantly breaking down when we are on our holidays!

Also considering having a M.A.C.I.C pre-purchase inspection carried out.

Thanks for any views/experiences.

Guest pelmetman
MinnietheMoocher - 2016-08-15 3:25 PM

I don't want to buy an unreliable vehicle that is constantly breaking down when we are on our holidays!

So give it a full service, plus ensure all the rubber bits are replaced if out of date ;-) ........ie tyres, cam belt etc and any dodgy looking hoses along with old batteries.........then have a good shake down cruise in the UK before crossing the ditch :D ......

Its called preventative maintenance B-).......

As an ex-vehicle mechanic and used to high milage diesel vehicles, I would lean towards the high milage with service history MH.

As correctly mentioned earlier these vans were designed and manufactured to do monumental milages. So as long as they have been looked after and serviced as per schedule they should easily supply 200k plus.
Obviously listen to the engine to make sure it does not have any nasty knocking or bottom end rumbling. Check to ensure cam belts were changed at or before the advised milages and also look at when the alternator and water pumps have been replaced. All of these are ancillaries and quite normal to swap out during the life of an engine.

A vehicle that is 10 years plus ands has only covered 6000 miles would raise an eyebrow or two, unless the reason was plausible. Also an old vehicle that has not been used much, check the chassis as if its been stored on a park up that is grass or gravel, dampness may have, could have or would have rotted the the chassis. 

By using the vehicle, its checked more often, serviced regular, the internal bits of the engine get turned around in oil regularly and it performs as its designed to be.

Anyhow, thats my 10 cent on the subject.  

Thank you for your helpful replies, your advice is much appreciated. I feel more confident now to go and look at a couple of older, higher mileage motorhomes. Also thinking that if the engine and mechanics are sound, it would be possible to freshen up the interior fittings, such as with re-upholstery, new vinyl floor/carpets for a relatively reasonable cost.

I'll keep you posted!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived