Avantgarde 200 electrical issue

MagHal

5 weeks in France and suddenly got no 12v system in van. The control box/regulator is hot to touch but bearable. Disconnected battery, checked all fuses, reconnected. System reset itself but the Aux/Veh switch is sticky. If I switch to veh I lose 12V temporarily. The van had a solar panel conversion by a previous owner.Any thoughts greatly appreciated. I've managed to get power on but concerned about the control unit.

Update. There doesn't seem to be a fault. The control box is cool with the battery disconnected and gets warm when the battery is connected and no loads switched on. There's a voltage drop across the solar panel of 1v with a current flow of about 0.3A. Indicating the battery is drawing some power from the solar panel. I reckon with ambient temperature around 34° it could run hot enough to feel as if there's a fault condition. Incidentally, with the battery disconnected the panel provides enough power to run the 12V systems. Is that usual?

Not familiar with your specific system but hopefully someone with that knowledge will post soon.

It seems possible that a dead or dying leisure battery is the underlying fault.  What are the voltages across this battery's terminals when it is disconnected?  If the battery is dying your controller could be hot because the charger is working too hard to deliver too much charging current - and this risks the charger failing too.

Presumably your starter battery is OK, i.e. you can start the engine and drive normally?  Are you on an EHU or just relying on solar and your engine alternator as an electrical source?  By "voltage across the solar panel" are you talking connected to the leisure battery or open circuit - in which case 1 volt sounds like a failure of that energy source.

Simplest check is however to measure the voltage of the leisure battery when disconnected for at least an hour.  If it's less than 12.5 that battery is discharged and might well be faulty.  Batteries are widely available and relatively cheap - I bought one on a Sunday morning in Auchan when mine failed a few years ago.  I'd be tempted to replace the leisure battery asap unless you know for sure that it is in good condition, before its failure causes knock-on faults.

Thanks for your thoughts. The battery is new but there Maybe a fault in the charger. I phoned explorer today. They suspect overcharging but this from a conversation via the receptionist who doesn't put anyone through to technical support.

Archived