Sky viewing card

Busbyadams

You used to be able to purchase a viewing card for £20 direct from Sky.

We originally had a blue card then exchanged it for the latest white viewing card.

In the past, most of the channels were encrypted so you had to have a viewing card.

I thought that most of the BBC/ITV channels these days were not encrypted.

I haven't used my Sky box without a viewing card so don't know whether they are still required.

Before you spend much on a Sky Card consider buying a new satellite receiver most are programmable to other satellites if you travel outside of Astra 28's smaller footprint look for 12 volt something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edision-Progressiv-HD-c-Nano-Free-TV-HD-Compact-Satellite-Receiver-12-Volt-PS-/191577817748?hash=item2c9aed8294:g:794AAOSwqu9VULAv

Hi

Using a sky box and viewing card gets you BBC, ITV etc from the PAN-EURO Astra 2 beam. These channels are encrypted, the sky box and viewing card is required to decrypt them.

Using an FTA (free to air) or Freesat receiver gets you the unencrypted BBC,ITV etc on the UK beam. The UK beam is fairly tightly focused over the UK, and requires a much larger dish to receive in southern France than the same channels received on a sky box with viewing card on the PAN-EURO beam.

Folks often also get muddled up between Freesat and FTA (free-to-air).

FTA: Has a now/next EPG - there is no 7-day EPG, when you scan for channels it will pick up all the BBC, C4, ITV regions hundreds of them, you then have to run through the channel list, delete the ones you dont want, and sort out the channel numbers. When channels are shifted or new channels added/deleted, you need to manually rescan and then sort out the mess again! The advantage of FTA is that you can point it at any sat and just hit auto-tune - eg Hotbird when you are too far south for Astra2.

Freesat: requires the person manufacturing the reciever to pay freesat a fee for each unit sold (the end user pays no fee), this fee is why so many (all?) Caravan telle's with built in Sat tuners are FTA, not freesat. The prime advantage of freesat is the 7-day EPG, channel selection by postcode entry, and auto add/delete/channel ordering.

Nigel

Hi you should be able to view all the freesat channels through a skybox without a viewing card as they are no longer encrypted. Why has the viewing card been scorched? , was it in the skybox at the time ? has the skybox overheated?

I have a 12v pace skybox in my motorhome and I can receive all the freesat channels on Astra 2 without a viewing card. You can also tune in the box in settings (google will explain how to do it) to receive your local news service in my case Yorkshire TV although this will not appear in the epg, you have to select from other channels on your remote.

veletron - 2016-08-16 6:41 PM

Hi

Using a sky box and viewing card gets you BBC, ITV etc from the PAN-EURO Astra 2 beam. These channels are encrypted, the sky box and viewing card is required to decrypt them.

You're going back many years. There are no BBC or ITV channels encrypted (apart from pay ones like Encore or HD versions) and the free ones are all on the spot beam.

There is no real need for a viewing card apart from getting regional programmes matched to the postcode the card is registered at.

If like us, you have a Sky subscription at home and a different box in the motorhome, you can swap the card over and pair it online and re-pair it to your home box on your return.

About 6 years ago I had a sky subscription with a card went to France and after a short time no picture and had a message on screen saying card out of area phone customer service. Now sky customer service from France on a mobile sounded expensive, So I stopped the direct debit to sky bought a new satellite receiver as my sky box wouldn't work with out a card then. I haven't bothered with sky since since. So if taking a sky box to Europe hope it works out better for you than it did for me. One plus point the new box was a lot easier to find Sat's with than the pace sky box

witzend - 2016-08-17 8:04 PM

About 6 years ago I had a sky subscription with a card went to France and after a short time no picture and had a message on screen saying card out of area phone customer service.

Sorry, but there is no such message and no way that Sky would know where a box is (satellite data is only received). You might have had a standard 'no signal, call for help' message, but that's generated by not having a signal for whatever reason.

About 6 years ago I had a sky subscription with a card went to France and after a short time no picture and had a message on screen saying card out of area phone customer service. Now sky customer service from France on a mobile sounded expensive, So I stopped the direct debit to sky bought a new satellite receiver as my sky box wouldn't work with out a card then. I haven't bothered with sky since since. So if taking a sky box to Europe hope it works out better for you than it did for me. One plus point the new box was a lot easier to find Sat's with than the pace sky box

I have been receiving Sky in France and Spain with a UK viewing card since 2003 and have never received such a message.

derek500 - 2016-08-17 11:33 PM

About 6 years ago I had a sky subscription with a card went to France and after a short time no picture and had a message on screen saying card out of area phone customer service.

Sorry, but there is no such message and no way that Sky would know where a box is (satellite data is only received). You might have had a standard 'no signal, call for help' message, but that's generated by not having a signal for whatever reason.

I know what I saw and Honestly reported it here if you wish to call me a liar thats your choice and indicates to me what sort of person you are

witzend - 2016-08-18 8:26 AM

derek500 - 2016-08-17 11:33 PM

I know what I saw and Honestly reported it here if you wish to call me a liar thats your choice and indicates to me what sort of person you are

I'm not calling you a liar, just that you're mistaken.

There is no such 'geographical' message. Sky have no idea where you are. How could they know?

There is a 'no signal' message, but that could pop up if you're in France, Timbuktu or blocked by a tree in your front garden.

BTW the 'sort of person' I am is one who knows what Sky's error messages are and that there is no return satellite signal.

Derek wrote:

"If like us, you have a Sky subscription at home and a different box in the motorhome, you can swap the card over and pair it online and re-pair it to your home box on your return".

Derek.

Could you please provide a link to do this. I've logged on to my Sky account but can't find the section that allows you to pair your card online?

In days gone by you had to phone up Sky but eventually they twigged and refused to do it. I hadn't realised you could do it online.

Mike88 - 2016-08-18 9:31 AM

Derek wrote:

"If like us, you have a Sky subscription at home and a different box in the motorhome, you can swap the card over and pair it online and re-pair it to your home box on your return".

Derek.

Could you please provide a link to do this. I've logged on to my Sky account but can't find the section that allows you to pair your card online?

In days gone by you had to phone up Sky but eventually they twigged and refused to do it. I hadn't realised you could do it online.

Here you go:-

https://activatemychannels.sky.com/activate

Make sure you've got the card in the box and a signal. It should/will happen instantaneously.

Archived