Fiat Ducato loss of power

JD6620

I have a 2007 Fiat Ducato Autotrail Cheyenne which I bought last year. I was having problems with loss of power and the EML coming on. When it was serviced by a Fiat dealer earlier this year they said that connections to the fuse box were rusty and they fixed the problem. After that all seemed well. But it happened again on my way the the Newbury motorhome show. I decided at the show to get the engine remapped by Boosters UK. The guy read the ecu and said the fault was with the EGR valve. He remapped the engine and disabled the egr valve. All seemed well and I was very pleased with the way the motorhome drove. On my last trip all was going fine, I had slowed to go through a 30 limit, when I got out of the speed limit went to accelerate but there was no power, and no EML this time. I stopped at some services, stopped the engine half expecting to see the fuel filter leaking. But no, nothing. Started up the engine and drove the next 50 miles home as normal, no power issues at all. This has me totally stumped. Can anyone shed any light on this issue please. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I am presuming you are running a diesel vehicle. I had a similar problem with my diesel volvo, Took it to a volvo dealer who happens to be one of my customers as I am involved in the garage industry which does help. Volvo kept going into limp mode obviously losing power.The technician took my vehicle out plus put it through a diagnostic check, His words were ' in my opinion you need a new turbo '

Two days later I was talking to one of my other garage customers and telling him what was happening, He looked at me and said supermarket fuel which was correct. He then went on to say ' Morrisons ' which was also correct. He then told me what to do.

With less than a quarter tank of fuel add Forte Diesel Treatment into the tank then take the vehicle up to 70 mph quickly then back off then back on again a few times. Get the turbo spinning on and off a few times. In other words get the engine really hot. Next fill up with two tanks of Shell V power.

This hopefully should sort your problem out.

Mine was sorted before I had used half a tank of decent fuel plus no more black smoke coming out when accelerating fast.

Supermarket fuel only just meets EU spec and does not carry the same additives as Shell BP Esso. Slightly dearer but you will get more MPG so that cancels out the extra you have just paid.

My customer will not even put supermarket fuel in his lawnmower, Says it all I think.

People think all fuel is the same which is correct but it is what happens when the big fuel companies treat it with their additives.

Please try this, you have nothing to lose.

Delighted this has not resulted in the "Morrisons fuel is rubbish" type post.

I have a Smart car roadster and from all the recommendations it should be on Shell V tech. Tried it and found absolutely no difference to Morrisons at 10p+ a ltr cheaper.

Quiet interesting to see all the different fuel Tankers filling up from the same pump at Grangemouth then "salting" the mix to make you think it is special. All produced to the same standard.

I appreciate we are talking about diesels however I mentioned my car as an example of the hype made about fuels as I had tried the different grades something I had not done with the MH. My MH has done about 60000 miles now on supermarket fuel. It once had a sticky EGR valve which created similar problems to those posted. Part on my annual inspection is to make sure it is free moving.

You suggested that supermarket fuel is manufactured to a lower standard which I would question

To clarify the Diesel situation,

A) All Diesel sold in the UK must meet the relevant EU standard.

B) Not all diesel is the same.

C) All Diesel has additives for lubrication & engine cleanliness

D) In winter Diesel has additional additives to prevent waxing in low temperatures

E) The refineries operate "fuel share" to cut down distribution costs

F) Individual companies add their own Additives at point of loading their Road Tankers. So if you see a BP tanker entering a n other competitors Refinery or Depot they will go to their own companies dedicated loading point

G) Each of the Major Oil Companies (MOC) have extensive R&D to constantly improve "their" additives

H) Generally the MOC do not share their latest Additives, with others, they use it to gain market sales/share. Why spend R&D money, if not for commercial advantage.?

I) Supermarkets buy fuel at the lowest price possible, this usually means the fuel they buy has older generation Additives. BUT still fully meeting the EU Standards.

J) IMHO the Premium Grade Diesels on sale by the MOC's are best suited to high performance diesel engine vehicles, not commercial vehicles. (I don't have a high performance diesel, so this is only my opinion)

K) If you have problems using supermarket Diesel, it MAY be beneficial to use a MOC branded Diesel for a period & monitor if it gives the desired results, but the "Premium Grade Diesel" will not give any better results.

L) Commercial vehicles operate in many markets outside the EU, where fuel standards are much lower & they still run.

(based 25 years in refining industry)

flicka - 2016-10-06 11:25 AM

To clarify the Diesel situation,

A) All Diesel sold in the UK must meet the relevant EU standard.

B) Not all diesel is the same.

C) All Diesel has additives for lubrication & engine cleanliness

D) In winter Diesel has additional additives to prevent waxing in low temperatures

E) The refineries operate "fuel share" to cut down distribution costs

F) Individual companies add their own Additives at point of loading their Road Tankers. So if you see a BP tanker entering a n other competitors Refinery or Depot they will go to their own companies dedicated loading point

G) Each of the Major Oil Companies (MOC) have extensive R&D to constantly improve "their" additives

H) Generally the MOC do not share their latest Additives, with others, they use it to gain market sales/share. Why spend R&D money, if not for commercial advantage.?

I) Supermarkets buy fuel at the lowest price possible, this usually means the fuel they buy has older generation Additives. BUT still fully meeting the EU Standards.

J) IMHO the Premium Grade Diesels on sale by the MOC's are best suited to high performance diesel engine vehicles, not commercial vehicles. (I don't have a high performance diesel, so this is only my opinion)

K) If you have problems using supermarket Diesel, it MAY be beneficial to use a MOC branded Diesel for a period & monitor if it gives the desired results, but the "Premium Grade Diesel" will not give any better results.

L) Commercial vehicles operate in many markets outside the EU, where fuel standards are much lower & they still run.

(based 25 years in refining industry)

Very interesting. Would filling up a van in Spain before catching the ferry and then leaving the diesel in over the winter be harmful bearing in mind that the additives required for a Spanish winter might be different to the additives required for the lower temperatures in the UK?

I can't give you a definitive answer, but IMO Spanish diesel would not require the same winter additive as the UK, based on the average ambient temperatures of each country. (Note:- e.g. Spain may have different winter additives for the south v the north atlantic coastal & pyrenees regions)

Based on that assumption that the Spanish fuel would be more prone to waxing in lower temperatures.

But, hey we might have a mild winter here.

My Motorhome survived last winter, with 2/3rds of a tank of summer fuel last winter.

Archived