Double floor Hymer -- Underseal

thomasplc

Took t588sl in for 1st habitation check and was told that to preserve Water ingress warranty it is necessary for underseal to be applied. It is my understanding that lower floor is GRP so I do not understand why underseal is required .

Can anyone shed light on this please.

Many thanks in advance

I think it is a historic thing, the Hymer warranty sticker which has to go in the service record to confirm the water ingress test has been done is attached to and comes with, the can of spray on underseal. Part of the application is to check and re seal any of the through floor fittings, waste pipe etc. I believe HYmer now have computer records to confirm that the water ingress test has been completed so perhaps they will change the requirement to apply underseal to the GRP underside

I have reached year 4 and decided that as the dealer also insists on doing a hab check which is a complete waste of time, costs £330 and is a 300 mile round trip that, I will take the risk and not have this done although, as mine is just before the change to total GRP floors, I have checked and applied a suitable treatment to the small area in question, I noted that the remainder which is GRP has never been so treated I will continue to do the same in the following years.

I've never heard of the requirement to underseal in order to retain the water ingress warranty.

Expect current Hymer owners will be able to throw more light on this.

It may be worth emailing the Hymer representative for the UK (based in Germany) and mention the Dealer in question.

I would think that to be protected, the underside would need to be sealed. I have used Waxoyl to protect the exposed parts of car ash frames with no harmful effects. Alan Alderwick, in his book , How to restore wooded body framing, recommends , Waxoyl to protect metal parts,and comments ,Waxoyl will do the timber no harm whatsoever.

Brian B.

artheytrate - 2016-08-22 10:02 PM

What do you use to under seal the wooden floor as I was going to wax oil the wooden floor on my 2014 Auto Sleeper Broadway, but had lots of answers that the wood couldn't breath and this would cause it to rot.

John.

Hymer use what appears to be a thin underseal, by the time they have reached the end of the warranty, the vehicles will have at least 7 coats of this underseal, the wood used in the floor has almost no moisture content, so rot is highly unlikely unless the wood is allowed to become wet. I used an underseal containing waxoyl applied as a fairly thin but continuous coating. Providing the moisture content in the wood does not rise it will not rot. Provided the floor of your Autosleeper is dry, I see no reason why it should not be protected with a waxoiy.

artheytrate - 2016-08-22 10:02 PM

What do you use to under seal the wooden floor as I was going to wax oil the wooden floor on my 2014 Auto Sleeper Broadway, but had lots of answers that the wood couldn't breath and this would cause it to rot.

John.

I have used Waxoyl on my wooden floor (Hymer 522) a couple of times and it hasn't done it any harm, in fact it seems to improve "waterproofness" as water rolls of and with it any road dirt. Of course the chassis is likewise coated inside and out. So no rust or rot here, the old girl is now 9 years old and has done 67K and still looks fine.

H

• 4 weeks later...

Archived